Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2015, 02:08 PM

76 posts, read 127,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_nurse2014 View Post
Its sounds to me like you are having some reservations about whether you should spend 3,300 on 2 bed...and honestly I dont blame you. Many of us are. At the end of the day only you can know what you can afford. Really sit down and cruch numbers. Take into account every penny spent.

You are absolutely right when you say that safe/desirable neighborhoods dont have 2 beds for 2k. Personally, even with the spacious 2 beds and cheap rent, I HATE where I live and would gladly pay more for a nice neighborhood. I looked into purchasing a home and when you take into consideration NY real estate market, mortgage, taxes, insurance, distance from work and maintenance (renovations, shoveling snow, mowing lawn, etc) then this is more cost effective. At least for a single person without children.

Check out the apartment...check out the area. Weigh the pros and cons. Its okay to turn the apartment down, dont let all the media hype force you to take something on you arent ready to ;-)
Well said! It isn't an easy decision. And there are too many variables with each person's situation to make a blanket statement that will apply to everyone. For me, TF Cornerstone raised the rent on our waterfront studio to $2500. So for us, HPS is an $800 increase in rent split between me and my partner. For $400 each we are jumping from a studio to a two bed, two bath. That felt right. And should we decide to have kids and grow our family, that gives us the option at a rate we won't necessarily have access to when the time comes.

But it's different for everyone!

Old 07-24-2015, 02:16 PM

457 posts, read 737,022 times
How is TF Cornerstone? I read reviews online free tenants saying the doorman would make people cry and only help if there's a tip involved.

Another thing is saving money in NYC is not the easiest thing when everything is so expensive. I provided a scenario where the individual did not have a savings account and was strictly utilizing the checking account.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:16 PM

71 posts, read 107,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossingstenant View Post
Well said! It isn't an easy decision. And there are too many variables with each person's situation to make a blanket statement that will apply to everyone. For me, TF Cornerstone raised the rent on our waterfront studio to $2500. So for us, HPS is an $800 increase in rent split between me and my partner. For $400 each we are jumping from a studio to a two bed, two bath. That felt right. And should we decide to have kids and grow our family, that gives us the option at a rate we won't necessarily have access to when the time comes.

So right on!

Old 07-24-2015, 02:20 PM

You're so lucky you get to split the rent with someone. That makes it so much easier. Not all of us are so lucky to have someone cheering for us in our corner. Some of us single folks really have it tough and stuggle to make ends meet. 2,500.00 for a studio is insane. The funny thing is, they'd have to lower the rent to make it attractive for a new tenant to take your studio so TF Cornerstone is dumb to lose you as a tenant. Nobody won at the end when they raised your rent to 2,500.00.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:50 PM

142 posts, read 198,768 times
[quote=NYCLotteryGurl;40546795]You're so lucky you get to split the rent with someone. That makes it so much easier. Not all of us are so lucky to have someone cheering for us in our corner. Some of us single folks really have it tough and stuggle to make ends meet. 2,500.00 for a studio is insane. The funny thing is, they'd have to lower the rent to make it attractive for a new tenant to take your studio so TF Cornerstone is dumb to lose you as a tenant. Nobody won at the end when they raised your rent to 2,500.00.[

A one bedroom in Sunnyside is 1,850-2,000 with zero amenities or very few like an elevator.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:34 PM

Some landlords and real estate agents in Sunnyside and Astoria have some of the biggest balls I've ever seen to have the audacity to charge 1,800.00 plus for a 1 bedroom, in a 100 year old red brick building, no elevator, no laundry room and don't even have the common courtesy to gut renovate the apartment before they swindle and trick a person into paying $1,800.00 plus!!!!

It's egregious!!!! **in my southern belle accent**

Last edited by NYCLotteryGurl; 07-24-2015 at 05:38 PM..

Old 07-24-2015, 05:24 PM

94 posts, read 216,346 times
Moved into the studio on 3rd floor today

Very happy I'm one of the first few tenants in the building. My apartment is facing northwest and the view is awesome. I think it's honestly the best view you can hope for in a 1 bd or a studio. I was told the amenities will be completed in September so I can't use them. Either way my apartment is beautiful and very excited to call lic my new home!!!

By the way the cellphone reception here is not very good, no matter what provider you have... that's something to keep in mind

Old 07-24-2015, 05:39 PM

NEWTOTHISFORUM,

Im shocked. It's hard to have bad service in NYC.

Thank goodness my wireless carrier offers WiFi calling. I won't have any problems with reception.

Last edited by NYCLotteryGurl; 07-24-2015 at 06:12 PM..

Old 07-24-2015, 06:01 PM

357 posts, read 656,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICaviator View Post
We're actually looking into that now. We looked back and have an email from the parking manager that said the rate was going to be $275 WITH tax and we were asked to pay $300. We're going to try to see if we can negotiate it down as a resident or something like that. Will definitely ask and report back!
So I went by the parking garage today. Theres something fishy going on with these prices. I walked up to the manager for an application, he goes through everything and how parking is done. Asks me if I will be living there, when I tell him yes he then says something like "I will only charge you $275 a month"..I say, but I received an email from related saying that it was $250 a month. He then says okay, its $250. In the HPS online residential portal the prices are $300 with tax, some people are being told $275 with tax, I was told $250 with tax. Hmm...why are the prices different? He also mentioned that there were 300-400 spots available. I think they lowered the price because all the crossings tenants have moved in and they arent reaching their estimated quota. I could be wrong but I have a hunch these prices are gonna go down.

I also walked into the urban market and did some grocery shopping to get a feel of the place. Bumped into a co-worker who lives in the Avalon across the street from commons. Apparently, they only pay $150 a month for parking!!!!

Old 07-24-2015, 06:03 PM

357 posts, read 656,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossingstenant View Post

Good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery