Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2015, 10:22 AM

4,772 posts, read 6,571,114 times

Advertisements

Divina, judging from the floor plan you posted, I think the 19-foot measurement is from the window to the kitchen wall, not to the front door or the closet. Your stove is beautiful! Congrats! Enjoy the apartment!

Last edited by macnyc2003; 08-12-2015 at 10:42 AM..

Old 08-12-2015, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 4,097 times
Hello Everyone,

I have been kind of following this forum and trying to hold of commenting anything but I feel it is time for me to comment. I am one the very few low income future tenants of Hunters Point Commons. My move in date is in September for a 2 bedroom. The apartment is a relatively big apartment. My apartment includes everything of the regular apartments except I don't have a second bathroom or walk-in closet. My initial interview was back in April and under normal circumstances my approval would have been 2 weeks, but I was wrongfully denied and fought through an appeal. My credit score is around 690. With the lower income tenants, they defintley scrutinize more their application even though they do not have a set credit score you must have.What I have learned through this lottery and others that I have won is that alot of it is luck, whether they like you or not, and that the management company can bend rules to a certain extent even though they lead you to believe they can not. If they do not like you, they will find every reason to reject you, but if not they will work with you so that you will get approved. My lottery number is in the 20,000's and I have CB preference. I feel extremely blessed and thank God every day for this opportunity in life. I wish everyone else the best of luck and to the ones who are in the building, I will see you there

Old 08-12-2015, 11:03 AM

110 posts, read 218,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAndConfusedHPSGuy View Post
Was told that it might be in the next few days or a month, the problem is the reps don't know and can only guess based on previous experience, they are not the bottle neck, it's the city...so whenever the city gives them the green light then they immediately tell those next in the que that it's their turn.

As far as the Log # and if you're a city employee or not, I'm not sure how much preference you get because of that - probably a good question for your rep. I didn't ask because I don't qualify under any special sub-category.

My main concern is since the buildings appear to be about to 2/3 to 3/4 occupied, what choices are left for those of us still on the wait list. Don't want to have to be relegated to a few higher priced studios or 1 bedrooms with less than desirable views and low floors.

I was told I would likely hear this week (I went for my interview on Sat). I'm already approved, just waiting on my log # to come up before they can offer me an apartment. I'm around 14k, no preferences, which sounds crazy but they must be close. Apparently wayyy more people don't qualify than do, so thats why they've gone through so many #'s already. I qualify for any of the mid income studios or the $1965 1br. I would LOVE a 1br, but I was told there are only 8 so my chances are pretty slim for that. I'll be happy with pretty much anything, but am on the edge of my seat waiting for a call! I just want to know its a sure thing and and am dying to see what floor plan I'll be offered! I want to buy some new furniture already!!

Old 08-12-2015, 11:39 AM

41 posts, read 65,778 times
Hey guys. I've also been holding off from commenting because I'm paranoid. Haha. But I will say that my log# is lower than Divina50 and we are both the same preference. She got to see an apt. and I still have not. So, I'm not sure if they are even going in log# order.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:03 PM

357 posts, read 656,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAndConfusedHPSGuy View Post
Haha, well if I can get the view and floor I want at 1965 - 2167 rate, then I'll be joining you as soon as I get the call from my rep telling me to come in. Still waiting, was told the city needs to come back with some detail so they can process the next batch of folks.

But do disagree that paying 2509 (lease) is better than paying approximately 3300 (own) - this is for a one bedroom. Take a look at street easy, don't focus on what the ask is but rather look at the past sales tab. Citylights at 4-74 48th Ave. in Hunters Point : Sales, Rentals, Floorplans | StreetEasy I know someone that bought in this building and paid slightly under 500k, as I mentioned before, common charges are 1500. Assuming getting a mortgage is not an issue and you have 20% as a down payment, this is a much wiser move since you assume that over time property values will appreciate (and historically they always have).
Thanks for the link...those are sweet apartments (although not as close to the water as HPS Living)

I did indeed find something at 500k...and some even less. I will save these links and keep an eye out.
4-74 48th Ave. #20D in Hunters Point, Queens | StreetEasy

Now if only I had that 100k downpayment lol...for me once Im looking at paying 3k a month I might as well aim for a nice big home with a yard.

I agree with your $2167 with a nice view limit...That was my limit and thats what I got

May I ask, why arent you buying? You seem a little on the fence here.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:05 PM

357 posts, read 656,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagecouturelover View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have been kind of following this forum and trying to hold of commenting anything but I feel it is time for me to comment. I am one the very few low income future tenants of Hunters Point Commons. My move in date is in September for a 2 bedroom. The apartment is a relatively big apartment. My apartment includes everything of the regular apartments except I don't have a second bathroom or walk-in closet. My initial interview was back in April and under normal circumstances my approval would have been 2 weeks, but I was wrongfully denied and fought through an appeal. My credit score is around 690. With the lower income tenants, they defintley scrutinize more their application even though they do not have a set credit score you must have.What I have learned through this lottery and others that I have won is that alot of it is luck, whether they like you or not, and that the management company can bend rules to a certain extent even though they lead you to believe they can not. If they do not like you, they will find every reason to reject you, but if not they will work with you so that you will get approved. My lottery number is in the 20,000's and I have CB preference. I feel extremely blessed and thank God every day for this opportunity in life. I wish everyone else the best of luck and to the ones who are in the building, I will see you there
Congratulations on your new apartment. Glad to hear low income folks are fighting and winning appeals. God bless and see you there!

Old 08-12-2015, 02:37 PM

101 posts, read 159,473 times
My log# is lower than 160 no preference, low income. They denied me at first because they said I made too much money, but there was an error and I appealed my case. I won the appeal and they gave me an interview. I have very little debt, and my credit score is above 760. Never had any late payments, and I am the only one moving in. They said I had the option to be put on the waiting list for a one bedroom if I didn't want a studio. I took the studio because i can't wait for the one bedroom.

They could show me the laundry room, terrace or farm because they are still not finished. I'm still waiting for the approval from the city, but I am praying it all ends well. About the apts, I have to ask what is the deal with no drawers in the kitchen and bathroom? I'll have to visit Ikea and get drawers, or do like Julia Child and put a peg board on the wall. Although that may not be allowed. jejeje

Good luck everyone!!!

Old 08-12-2015, 03:52 PM

103 posts, read 158,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divina50 View Post
My log# is lower than 160 no preference, low income. They denied me at first because they said I made too much money, but there was an error and I appealed my case. I won the appeal and they gave me an interview. I have very little debt, and my credit score is above 760. Never had any late payments, and I am the only one moving in. They said I had the option to be put on the waiting list for a one bedroom if I didn't want a studio. I took the studio because i can't wait for the one bedroom.

They could show me the laundry room, terrace or farm because they are still not finished. I'm still waiting for the approval from the city, but I am praying it all ends well. About the apts, I have to ask what is the deal with no drawers in the kitchen and bathroom? I'll have to visit Ikea and get drawers, or do like Julia Child and put a peg board on the wall. Although that may not be allowed. jejeje

Good luck everyone!!!
Ah, the kitchen drawer situation! This came up a few weeks back on the forum as well. Some kitchen layouts have them and others do not. For example, the kitchen of our unit does indeed have them though after reading this, I was genuinely surprised when I saw them. Other layouts do not. It seems that the kitchens that are a little longer have at least a few, usually next to the stove. That said, I do know some studios and smaller units have them as well! Guess it's all about layout.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:29 PM

35 posts, read 49,846 times
Received an email on 7/18, paper letter on 7/20 (dated 7/17), submitted all paperwork via email on 7/20, agent responded on 7/21, called me the next day to go over details. had to submit one more document on 7/23. waited until it my turn (in regards to lottery draw) 7/29 got approved to proceed, picked my apt and signed lease on 8/3, moving in on 8/14. my agent was amazing expediting the process. my current lease move out 8/15. worked out perfectly.

Pretty fast process!
Log # 7k's
No preference
Commons
Moderate income
1bedroom
only units available for 8/14 move in was on the 2nd floor. one was slightly larger than the other (50 sq ft bigger) had a walk in closet and a better view.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:47 PM

163 posts, read 271,315 times
Congrats VioletFairy, that's crazy fast! Wish it could be like that for everyone. It's probably easier when a person has one job and doesn't have to get approved by the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery