Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2015, 06:10 AM

200 posts, read 374,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileenandherbie View Post
Is that what you're finding where you live now I.e. The pot smokers on the fourth floor etc? You know, though, that a 2 bedroom usually goes for more than $$3300 in a building with these kind of amenities. I live in a doorman bldg in Manhattan in a studio but want a one bedroom..price is the same.

Agreed. It is a lot of money to be paying for a two bedroom, but in the area, it's still a deal. Other comparables around probably 4,000 +.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:16 AM

50 posts, read 68,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLotteryGurl View Post
EileenandHerbie,

Of course they're having issues finding tenants that will agree to pay 3,300.00. If an applicant can afford an apartment at that price point, they really don't need this lottery because it doesn't seem like a true deal. The applicant who can afford that can live in a luxury building where there isn't a wide variety of different incomes. It'll be a full blown white glove building and there won't be any tension amongst the different classes. That's the problem with NYC is the wide disparity among the classes and income. It creates unnecessary tension.

Does that tenant want to pay 3,300 and know his neighbors aren't on par with him or move into a building where people don't have issues paying 5K in rent? If his neighbors can spend that on rent, he'll have the comfort of knowing his neighbors have a similar background, with the same values and education as him. Those are always the trade offs. Sometimes co-mingling can create unnecessary tension.
Nyclotterygirl, what do you think of the rental building QLIC.? The rents might be even cheaper for me than these are, but I know nothing of the neighborhood. What is it like around there?

Old 08-13-2015, 06:32 AM

76 posts, read 127,201 times
None of us really know what's going on with the log numbers and it's hard to say exactly what any of it means. For example, even if they were going in order, there could be a high concentration of the $3300 qualifiers toward the end of the lottery numbers. I don't think they are having trouble finding people willing to rent a two bedroom at $3300.

Babydoll7304 is absolutely right. You really can't say they aren't a deal if you look at the area/amenities. For the top bracket of everything at HPS the prices equate to market rate for an apartment with one bedroom less: market rate studio price will get you a one bedroom at HPS, market rate one bedroom will get you a two bedroom, market rate two bedroom will get you a three bedroom. I live in Long Island City and was planning to rent a one bedroom on the water and now for the same price I am getting a two bedroom - that's a deal any way you dice it.

Goodness, it's seems nyclotterygurl is back. Tension between the classes? Everyone in this building will be spending an approximately equal percentage of their income on rent, meaning it affects each tenant in a similar way. If that system is a problem for someone, then this shouldn't be the kind of building they choose to live in. I am looking forward to living in a building filled with nurses, teachers, photographers, yoga instructors, filmmakers, police officers, bankers, whatever! My current building is almost exclusively people who work in finance and while there's nothing wrong with that, I am looking forward having a more diverse set of neighbors.

People have also been talking about the differences between the buildings. The main difference is that Commons is much larger, nearly double in size, and has a city-facing lower roof terrace and additional party rooms. Crossing has a roof terrace on the 30th floor that faces northeast. It has one party/lounge room. Every other amenity is the same or shared (gym, farm, pet amenity, etc). Each building is great and may fit different people's desires more. For me, I currently live in a very large building, so Crossing was my pick because I wanted something smaller. It has approximately 9 apartments per floor and that appealed to me. I felt like that would make the community tighter and neighbors far more likely to get to know one another. It's different for everyone though and I understand some people's desire for Commons' additional amenities.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:32 AM

457 posts, read 736,732 times
QLIC had 1 bedrooms for 2,200 and we're throwing in 1 months free rent. It's rent stablized also.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:48 AM

457 posts, read 736,732 times
The area is fine and lots of plenty train options, but HIS has more stores and things to do. The QLIC area is really trying to build up their stores, but it's taking longer than anticipated.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:58 AM

22 posts, read 32,013 times
Default First Time Poster; HPS Potential

Hi all! This is my first post on City-Data, but I've been lurking on here for quite some time. Let me say that it's a great resource for everyone, and I've read some really intriguing discussions about my own city that never even crossed my mind.

I am a HPS potential; I was contacted about two months to submit my initial documentation, had an interview about two weeks later, and then visited the building and saw the model units last Wednesday. I was offered choice of two studios (one at the $1561 price and one at the $1997 price). I am opting for the lower price option, which offers more of a savings in my opinion than comparable buildings in the area. My log number was in the low 10,000s.

Here's my question, and I am asking it bluntly; What happens after you move-in with regards to checks and inspections? Asking that you'll hold your opinions and judgement aside, what if I sign my lease, move in, but another family member lives in the apartment 80-90% of the time? I am a commercial pilot who is on the road 4 days a week, and the other 3 can frequently see me grounded in other cities. My Father is elderly and has his own home in Sunset Park, but he typically uses my apartment when I'm on the road as it's nicer for him. I would plan to continue the same structure if I move to HPS, but am wondering if anyone could advise whether there are periodic checks of occupants, both in quantity and identity.

The whole topic (which was brought up here previously about subletting and "guests") makes the Affordable Housing system make it seem like some sort of dormitory; these are our homes. Regardless of their cost being lower or subsidized, I'm of the mindset that once I sign my lease, I can do what I want with my apartment, so as long as it is not specifically objected to in the lease. Any thoughts?

Old 08-13-2015, 06:59 AM

357 posts, read 656,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babydoll7304 View Post
Agreed. It is a lot of money to be paying for a two bedroom, but in the area, it's still a deal. Other comparables around probably 4,000 +.
Is it just me or are the same speeches every 20 pages on this forum about the rent at HPS VS market rate VS purchasing getting exhausting?

Am I the only one who saw the rents according to income on the HPS advertisement before applying????

If people dont like the cost, then why apply?

I invite everyone to ignore these repetitive conversations as well as IGNORE THE TROLLS! The old ones and new ones.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:01 AM

50 posts, read 68,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLotteryGurl View Post
QLIC had 1 bedrooms for 2,200 and we're throwing in 1 months free rent. It's rent stablized also.
"We're"....is that where you are now?

Old 08-13-2015, 07:44 AM

71 posts, read 107,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileenandherbie View Post
Guess they're having trouble finding people who can afford $3300...
I totally agree... Do you think they will be forced to lower the price if they aren't able to fill all those apartments?? haha!! (Wishful thinking I know)

Old 08-13-2015, 07:49 AM

71 posts, read 107,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossingstenant View Post
None of us really know what's going on with the log numbers and it's hard to say exactly what any of it means. For example, even if they were going in order, there could be a high concentration of the $3300 qualifiers toward the end of the lottery numbers. I don't think they are having trouble finding people willing to rent a two bedroom at $3300.

Babydoll7304 is absolutely right. You really can't say they aren't a deal if you look at the area/amenities. For the top bracket of everything at HPS the prices equate to market rate for an apartment with one bedroom less: market rate studio price will get you a one bedroom at HPS, market rate one bedroom will get you a two bedroom, market rate two bedroom will get you a three bedroom. I live in Long Island City and was planning to rent a one bedroom on the water and now for the same price I am getting a two bedroom - that's a deal any way you dice it.

Goodness, it's seems nyclotterygurl is back. Tension between the classes? Everyone in this building will be spending an approximately equal percentage of their income on rent, meaning it affects each tenant in a similar way. If that system is a problem for someone, then this shouldn't be the kind of building they choose to live in. I am looking forward to living in a building filled with nurses, teachers, photographers, yoga instructors, filmmakers, police officers, bankers, whatever! My current building is almost exclusively people who work in finance and while there's nothing wrong with that, I am looking forward having a more diverse set of neighbors.

People have also been talking about the differences between the buildings. The main difference is that Commons is much larger, nearly double in size, and has a city-facing lower roof terrace and additional party rooms. Crossing has a roof terrace on the 30th floor that faces northeast. It has one party/lounge room. Every other amenity is the same or shared (gym, farm, pet amenity, etc). Each building is great and may fit different people's desires more. For me, I currently live in a very large building, so Crossing was my pick because I wanted something smaller. It has approximately 9 apartments per floor and that appealed to me. I felt like that would make the community tighter and neighbors far more likely to get to know one another. It's different for everyone though and I understand some people's desire for Commons' additional amenities.
Couldn't have said it better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery