Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2015, 04:52 PM

103 posts, read 158,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danseurderrick View Post
This post makes me so happy! Congrats and Welcome Home indeed! Can't wait for all of us to write this post.

I hope there's a really cool vibe among neighbors, I'd imagine everyone feels equally grateful and relieved and fortunate! We can all relate to the same thing haha
Thank you! Every person I came across today - staff or tenant - was super friendly. Everyone is talkative and says hello and smiles, which is very un-New York in general. It's like we've all been to battle together!

Old 08-20-2015, 05:02 PM

457 posts, read 737,022 times
HopingForTheBeat,

I appreciate your honesty. Pictures are very misleading. These buildings are about being cost efficient and saving money where they can. The Q41 building had an article that stated each unit cost 70K to make. I'd like to know what exactly cost 70K. The developers did everything to save money and everyone can hear what the neighbors are doing. Every sound from the hall travels inside and everything inside the apartment travels outside to the hallways. Everyone can hear when they're neighbor opens and closes the closet doors. The floors are uneven, AC units are falling apart and the building is only 1 year old, doorknobs and screws are falling out. Washers and dryers dont work and the sprinklers for each unit werent measured properly that they actually stick out in certain rooms while other rooms are properly covered up. Talk about an eye sore. I know I sound like I'm ungrateful, but let's call a duck a duck.

I'm sure as soon as the developer agreed to the middle income lottery process, all construction workers were instructed to stop buying quality materials from Home Depot and buy inferior materials from iKea. The counter top is truly the cheapest material I've ever seen.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:05 PM

8 posts, read 15,609 times
I made the foolish mistake of opening my big mouth by saying my mom gives me gas money every once in a while and I had to get a notarized letter saying that my mom gives me $50 every 2 months or so. They will add that into my income. That comes out to approximately $300 a year. If I am over my income bracket because of this I will kick myself!!!

Old 08-20-2015, 05:12 PM

LuvYourDog,

Why????? Why did you tell them that? They're ridiculous to even factor that in. Geez, Related is the worst!!!!

Should have taken my advice to not say much. Just smile and go on with your way. RELATED is awful!!!

Old 08-20-2015, 05:19 PM

142 posts, read 198,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopingForTheBest View Post
Was there today. Studio is so damn small and poorly designed. I don't know what the designers were thinking. But here's a pic of their parking rates for anyone that is curious.
After viewing the unit today does this mean your file is being sent to HDC for final approval. If they did send it how long did they say it would take to hear back.

Did your studio have the walk in closet or was it the 2 standard closets plus linen. Do you mind sharing the floor the studio is on. Sorry for so many questions.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:19 PM

8 posts, read 15,609 times
My coordinator was so nice! I thought being honest was the best way to approach it. I just hope it didn't put me over the income bracket. We'll see I guess.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:23 PM

Good thing you didn't tell them your friend lends you money 2 pay your cell phone bill every once in awhile. Who knows what Related would have done then.

I've learn to not say much to anyone handling the application for any lottery.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:37 PM

10 posts, read 14,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICaviator View Post
After months of waiting and stressful anticipation, I picked up the keys to our new home in Crossing today. Stepping foot into our apartment made it all worth it! While there were definitely times where I was pulling my hair out, the team at Related really handle the move-in process well. When I arrived, the concierge had my keys ready for me and I was taken through the entire apartment by the maintenance manager and he explained how everything worked and make sure everything was up to standards. There was also a nice welcome bag waiting in the kitchen and a roll of toilet paper in the bathroom (it's the little things, right?). They also had the A/Cs on so the place was nice and cool when I got in.

A few hours later, another maintenance staff member stopped by to say hello and ask if I needed help with anything. They offered to put additional storage bars up in the closet as well if I decided I needed them.

Interestingly enough, I did ask about the heat situation as we were talking through. He explained that the heat is generated by gas, which they pay for. It's blown through the apartment by electric fan, which we pay for. Ultimately, it'll result in a much lower heating bill than if we were responsible for the whole thing. We live in a building like that now, and the bill honestly isn't too crazy since it's well insulated and the windows are thick/tinted. Hope this helps!

Thanks for clarifying that!

Old 08-20-2015, 05:51 PM

76 posts, read 127,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICaviator View Post
After months of waiting and stressful anticipation, I picked up the keys to our new home in Crossing today. Stepping foot into our apartment made it all worth it! While there were definitely times where I was pulling my hair out, the team at Related really handle the move-in process well. When I arrived, the concierge had my keys ready for me and I was taken through the entire apartment by the maintenance manager and he explained how everything worked and make sure everything was up to standards. There was also a nice welcome bag waiting in the kitchen and a roll of toilet paper in the bathroom (it's the little things, right?). They also had the A/Cs on so the place was nice and cool when I got in.

A few hours later, another maintenance staff member stopped by to say hello and ask if I needed help with anything. They offered to put additional storage bars up in the closet as well if I decided I needed them.

Interestingly enough, I did ask about the heat situation as we were talking through. He explained that the heat is generated by gas, which they pay for. It's blown through the apartment by electric fan, which we pay for. Ultimately, it'll result in a much lower heating bill than if we were responsible for the whole thing. We live in a building like that now, and the bill honestly isn't too crazy since it's well insulated and the windows are thick/tinted. Hope this helps!
Congrats, neighbor! It's nice to hear that everyone is being super friendly and accommodating. And thank you for asking about the heat. I'm less than two weeks out from my move-in and cannot wait!

Old 08-20-2015, 05:54 PM

50 posts, read 68,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLotteryGurl View Post
LICHOPEFUL,

Congrats. My coordinator finally responded 2 me today and they did my paperwork and credit check months ago. She told me today to give up all hope. Ain't that grand?
Why did she tell you to give up hope?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery