Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 03:30 PM

28 posts, read 53,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTrish View Post
I applied on a whim… Log #584
Congrats on a number and please keep us posted if you hear/get anything, thanks!

Old 02-04-2015, 05:30 PM

913 posts, read 2,272,746 times
From experience, the building needs to be pretty much 90% complete before anyone can move in. How is someone supposed to have a peace of mind or a good nights rest with nonstop construction work going on in their very home?

My current lottery invited people over but couldn't show anyone the units because it wasn't done so they provided computerized images.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:34 PM

272 posts, read 534,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
From experience, the building needs to be pretty much 90% complete before anyone can move in. How is someone supposed to have a peace of mind or a good nights rest with nonstop construction work going on in their very home?

My current lottery invited people over but couldn't show anyone the units because it wasn't done so they provided computerized images.
Nobody moves in anywhere overnight unless you are moving out of your parents house. So people have to give notice of at least a month and resolve their leases. I'm sure they already have some sort of mockup or show unit. If they told me today that I had a place their the earliest I could move in would be May 1 if I didn't want to pay for 2 places for a few months. In this case I would pay for both as it would be worth it.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:46 PM

913 posts, read 2,272,746 times
I'm sure it's not completed yet where the 1st tenant can move in already.

I'm sure they'll be meeting people at the end of this month or some time in March.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:01 AM

168 posts, read 349,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokibxs View Post
Congrats on a number and please keep us posted if you hear/get anything, thanks!
All I have gotten so far is the automated email everyone else got. I didn't even know my log number until I visited the site yesterday after receiving an email about the new E. 39th St. development. I came here to see the latest on Hunters Point and was surprised to see all the high numbers everyone else had gotten, and also that despite my relatively low number, I hadn't even gotten a postcard or anything.

Last edited by MissTrish; 02-05-2015 at 09:00 AM..

Old 02-05-2015, 08:46 AM

28 posts, read 53,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTrish View Post
All I have gotten so far is the automated email everyone else got. I didn't even know my log number until I visited the site yesterday after receiving an email about the new E. 39th St. development. I came here to see what the latest on Hunters Point and was surprised to see all the high numbers everyone else had gotten, and also that despite my relatively low number, I hadn't even gotten a postcard or anything.
I don't think they mailed anything yet and they say on website they expect to start contacting sometime in February so fingers crossed and keep us posted.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokibxs View Post
I don't think they mailed anything yet and they say on website they expect to start contacting sometime in February so fingers crossed and keep us posted.
Will do. I only qualify for the middle-income studios, and I'm still not sure I want to go back to living in one room (or in that area of Queens, which seems to be really desolate). It would have to be big and completely dividable, with good closet space. I can't really go by the one sample floor plan on the site.

I'd be better off quitting my job and getting one that pays half as much. Then I'd qualify for a bigger apartment--at half the rent. Go figure.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:56 AM

37 posts, read 87,632 times
My log number is 35, 376. I still got a shot lol

Old 02-05-2015, 10:11 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,887 times
I would be curious to find out if the sweet view of Manhattan will be offered or will everyone who win the lottery will be stuck starring at eastern queens from the apartment window.

In terms of the neighborhood it is still up and coming with all the pending rezoning from industrial to residential area. You won't be able to take advantage of all the amenities that are to come for a while.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I would be curious to find out if the sweet view of Manhattan will be offered or will everyone who win the lottery will be stuck starring at eastern queens from the apartment window.

In terms of the neighborhood it is still up and coming with all the pending rezoning from industrial to residential area. You won't be able to take advantage of all the amenities that are to come for a while.
Hard to imagine that the view side will not go to the market-rate renters. I wouldn't really care because I don't spend a heck of a lot of time staring out my apartment window anyway. Actually, I spend none. I'd happily trade a view and a balcony for a quiet top floor unit with no noisy neighbors above me. But from poking around, it looks like the "affordable" studios are on the lower floors.

As for the area, I think it's too industrial and desolate for me, as a single female. I wouldn't feel safe there, plus the fact that there's only the #7 train… and it's a long walk away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery