Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2015, 08:33 PM

103 posts, read 230,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by croquemme View Post
I got a call today from Related about a phone interview. When I asked about the letter I received telling me to schedule an in-person interview, the woman I spoke to said that things had changed and they'd decided to do phone interviews. Something about not having apartments ready to show yet.

Overall, I'm really kind of surprised at how little documentation they've asked me for so far. Based on everything I'd read about the process, it seemed like they would be vetting a lot more financial statements. Perhaps they're not looking as deeply at the people in the moderate income category?
From my understanding, it depends entirely on what you put down on your application. If you have multiple sources of income or an application that's a bit more on the complicated side, you have to provide more information. Also, as I've stated, those in the low income category has more leniency when it comes to the credit check, whereas the moderate income applicants are judged more aggressively.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:39 AM

200 posts, read 374,657 times
Default How long did it take?

Quote:
Okay, so today I also got a letter in the mail asking me to call and schedule an appointment. They're asking me to bring in copies of my ID, last 4 pay stubs, tax returns--basically the same things I was asked for via email.

They also ask me to complete an asset certification, using the enclosed form. Problem is, there is no enclosed form. I'm going to call them tomorrow and find out what that's about, but can anyone here clue me in?

Hi, wondering how long it took to verify the documents. I submitted the documents via email and am waiting to hear if I qualified for an interview.

Also, what does "verify document" even mean? Check against credit scores?

Old 02-18-2015, 09:49 AM

28 posts, read 53,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babydoll7304 View Post
Hi, wondering how long it took to verify the documents. I submitted the documents via email and am waiting to hear if I qualified for an interview.

So what that means, that they emailed you and asked you to email documents first? What is your log number and do you have any preference (community board etc)?

Old 02-18-2015, 01:48 PM

170 posts, read 315,370 times
I received the initial call and email requesting documents on Friday. I had a phone interview today confirming the things I was asked on the initial application and going into much greater detail about all of my assets and sources of income. I was told I would hear back in 2-3 weeks about whether or not I qualify for an apartment; at that point, they will conduct a credit check. And if that turns out okay, I will get called in for an in-person meeting to look at my apartment options.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:26 PM

6 posts, read 14,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopamineDreams View Post
I don't recall the name of the third party service they use for the credit histories but I remember them saying you need to score above "500" to be considered for housing.

i was informed that after the verification, if I'm found eligible, I can choose an apartment that I qualified for (which in my case can be either a 2 or 3 bedroom unit.) Since one of my household members has impairments, I would be able to personally see all of the apartments as opposed to only viewing floor plans.

Thanks very much again for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydoll7304 View Post

How interesting. Did you send them the documents to verify before or after a phone interview? Any chance you could share your log number and if any preferences?

Not sure but this switching interview styles suggests to me that they're trying to speed up the process...

Old 02-18-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I received the initial call and email requesting documents on Friday. I had a phone interview today confirming the things I was asked on the initial application and going into much greater detail about all of my assets and sources of income. I was told I would hear back in 2-3 weeks about whether or not I qualify for an apartment; at that point, they will conduct a credit check. And if that turns out okay, I will get called in for an in-person meeting to look at my apartment options.
Also, at lease signing, you have to give them first months rent, one month security deposit, and $25 for the background check. They have to be in separate checks or money orders.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citygirlnyc View Post
Thanks very much again for the info.

How interesting. Did you send them the documents to verify before or after a phone interview? Any chance you could share your log number and if any preferences?

Not sure but this switching interview styles suggests to me that they're trying to speed up the process...

I feel like they are trying to speed up the process as well, however I feel like in-person interviews were much more thorough and informative. You get to see all of the actual tiling and appliances in the apartment, a "copy" of the lease, you sign all the documentation upfront, and you get to speak to housing coordinators, supervisors, etc. their office was in the basement of one of their rental properties. I guess it seem ill-advised to have so many applicants coming in and out like that on a daily basis.

When i spoke to the housing coordinator that handled my application, she said they moved on to the next preference, which was community board. She "hinted" to me that log numbers become crucial when they move on to the gen pop applications.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:18 PM

170 posts, read 315,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopamineDreams View Post
I feel like they are trying to speed up the process as well, however I feel like in-person interviews were much more thorough and informative. You get to see all of the actual tiling and appliances in the apartment, a "copy" of the lease, you sign all the documentation upfront, and you get to speak to housing coordinators, supervisors, etc. their office was in the basement of one of their rental properties. I guess it seem ill-advised to have so many applicants coming in and out like that on a daily basis.

When i spoke to the housing coordinator that handled my application, she said they moved on to the next preference, which was community board. She "hinted" to me that log numbers become crucial when they move on to the gen pop applications.
So did you sign a lease, then? When is your move-in date? Did you feel like the apartment fixtures were nice?

Old 02-18-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
So did you sign a lease, then? When is your move-in date? Did you feel like the apartment fixtures were nice?
Noooo. No actual lease signing. Viewing purposes only. I was also told that move ins will begin with only one building. Afterwards, the other one will commence. Most likely, the two buildings will not be completed at the same time.

I liked the fixtures and the bathrooms were amazing! The apartments have a "condominium vibe." For the price, it meets my expectations. However, I will say that there will be a difference between the low iand moderate income tiers. Better views, better layouts, etc.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:13 PM

168 posts, read 349,445 times
Are the studios worth $1,600-$2,000-ish?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery