Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 10:33 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,526,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopamineDreams View Post
That guy also said that HPS believed that he wouldn't be able to afford his rent, even though he supposedly makes 90k. We do not know his circumstances. He did say that you need at least a 700 credit score but people are arguing that the website says 500.

The website says you need a benchmark score of 500 after they do all their calculations. It did not say that your credit score had to be 500.
Quote:
Originally Posted by babydoll7304 View Post
If they don't think someone making a certain amount can afford the rent, why even put them in that bracket and why not consider him for a lower priced apartment??
Perhaps your reported salary puts you in the running for a certain category of apartment. If he was making $90,000 a year, they can't offer him a lower price apartment because he doesn't fit the salary range for a lower priced apartment. They said that the city is strict on those salary ranges.

dopamineDreams is right; we don't know enough about his situation (whether he has debt or his income varies widely) to hazard a guess as to why they think he wouldn't be able to afford the rent. It just tells us that they look at everything and just because you fit into the salary requirements doesn't mean that you will get an apartment.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:37 PM

200 posts, read 374,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Perhaps your reported salary puts you in the running for a certain category of apartment. If he was making $90,000 a year, they can't offer him a lower price apartment because he doesn't fit the salary range for a lower priced apartment. They said that the city is strict on those salary ranges.

dopamineDreams is right; we don't know enough about his situation (whether he has debt or his income varies widely) to hazard a guess as to why they think he wouldn't be able to afford the rent. It just tells us that they look at everything and just because you fit into the salary requirements doesn't mean that you will get an apartment.

Understood - but I thoguth debt wasn't taken into account in calculating your income or ability to afford payments (as indicated earlier in this thread).

Old 03-11-2015, 12:44 PM

103 posts, read 230,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babydoll7304 View Post
Understood - but I thoguth debt wasn't taken into account in calculating your income or ability to afford payments (as indicated earlier in this thread).
I think this shows how insignificant your income is compared to your credit history.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:53 PM

15 posts, read 38,835 times
From reading these posts, it seems that at this point, people from all of the preference groups (hearing/vision/mobility impairments, CB2, and city employee) have been contacted so far in the process (a member with municipal employee preference posted within the last day or so...that person was the first I've seen from that preference group who has posted on this site).

Has anyone from the general applicant pool been contacted yet (no preferences)? I have a low log number (200's), but no preferences, so I'm trying to keep track of where they are in the process and if anyone without preferences has been called yet.

Good luck to everyone!

Old 03-11-2015, 01:04 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,526,328 times
The guy who didn't get in (and posted in HPS facebook) thinks that it is all politics and they make it impossible to get approved. Does anyone know if you can appeal if you get turned down for this lottery? I know that you could for other housing lotteries.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:09 PM

170 posts, read 315,279 times
I just scheduled an appointment with my leasing representative for this weekend to sign documents and talk about units. Hooray!

Old 03-11-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
The guy who didn't get in (and posted in HPS facebook) thinks that it is all politics and they make it impossible to get approved. Does anyone know if you can appeal if you get turned down for this lottery? I know that you could for other housing lotteries.
Yes, you can appeal.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by croquemme View Post
I just scheduled an appointment with my leasing representative for this weekend to sign documents and talk about units. Hooray!
That's great news!

when are they gonna start letting people sign leases though??!! Lol

Old 03-11-2015, 05:39 PM

94 posts, read 216,278 times
I got rejected today, utterly shocked.

They said I failed the credit screening with no addition info. I was told I needed a guarantor who makes 75x the month rent !!! I checked my credit score last week and it was 730+. In addition, my income is easily in the range for a middle income studio. I also told the interviewer about my 45k in savings and my willingness to pay 2 years up front!

I am definitely going to come back to them, but seems like my chances are very small at this point unless there is some type of misunderstanding. Who knows what type of business they are running over there.

As of now, I cannot think of one genuine reason why they would deny me.

For everyone who gets denied, please do go out of your way to contact Jimmy Van Bramer, who represents Community Board 2 and let him know about the scam this housing lottery is. Whats the point of even having an income range if they will still deny you if you fall within the income range, have an excellent credit score (730+), and are willing to prepay 2 years worth of rent. What an utter waste of time and effort.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:17 PM

200 posts, read 374,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtothisforum View Post
I got rejected today, utterly shocked.

They said I failed the credit screening with no addition info. I was told I needed a guarantor who makes 75x the month rent !!! I checked my credit score last week and it was 730+. In addition, my income is easily in the range for a middle income studio. I also told the interviewer about my 45k in savings and my willingness to pay 2 years up front!

I am definitely going to come back to them, but seems like my chances are very small at this point unless there is some type of misunderstanding. Who knows what type of business they are running over there.

As of now, I cannot think of one genuine reason why they would deny me.

For everyone who gets denied, please do go out of your way to contact Jimmy Van Bramer, who represents Community Board 2 and let him know about the scam this housing lottery is. Whats the point of even having an income range if they will still deny you if you fall within the income range, have an excellent credit score (730+), and are willing to prepay 2 years worth of rent. What an utter waste of time and effort.
OMG this is awful news. How is that possible?? Do you have outstanding loans?? I'm sorry. If I were you, I would go through the appeals process ASAP. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery