Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 07:06 AM

30,508 posts, read 17,968,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Body cameras wouldn't change anything about this situation. Even if this woman's account is 100% true, the cops did nothing wrong at all. What difference would the cameras make?
Actually, if the woman's account is 100% true, the cops were wrong. While the police can ask/make people move along if they are obstructing foot traffic, etc., they can't order or intimidate people into moving when this isn't the case. Note, even if, for argument's sake, the police didn't break any law, that doesn't mean they didn't violate NYPD policy in not being courteous, etc. Body cameras would help to check such behavior, making things more pleasant all around.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:29 PM

1,423 posts, read 2,538,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Actually, if the woman's account is 100% true, the cops were wrong. While the police can ask/make people move along if they are obstructing foot traffic, etc., they can't order or intimidate people into moving when this isn't the case. Note, even if, for argument's sake, the police didn't break any law, that doesn't mean they didn't violate NYPD policy in not being courteous, etc. Body cameras would help to check such behavior, making things more pleasant all around.

Agree.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:39 PM

72,835 posts, read 62,209,776 times
And stuff like this makes me hesitant to visit NYC. Stuff like this might deter some potential tourists from going to NYC. They might decide to go other places and spend their money.

And to those teenagers who were told "Black teens must stay out of White neighborhoods unless doing something productive": Notice how no other race is being told this. It is your constitutional right to travel and go where you want to go within your city. The police are trying to violate your rights, and anyone who tries to violate your rights, taking said persons to court would be a very good idea. Know your rights. You have every right to go where you want to go.

And furthermore, why don't the police seem concerned if those teenagers raise mayhem in the neighborhood they live in? Doesn't it affect the person's who live in their neighborhood as well? Or is it an attitude of "they're cockroaches, contain them and keep them away"?

Old 12-03-2014, 09:54 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,898,967 times
Default LE Reform

Law Enforcement reform must happen.

People should walk where ever they want. I don't own the sidewalk in my neighborhood and I don't want police officers telling people they cant go into certain areas as long as they aren't committing a crime.

We have some issues that have to be resolved.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:10 AM

595 posts, read 557,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And stuff like this makes me hesitant to visit NYC. Stuff like this might deter some potential tourists from going to NYC. They might decide to go other places and spend their money.

And to those teenagers who were told "Black teens must stay out of White neighborhoods unless doing something productive": Notice how no other race is being told this. It is your constitutional right to travel and go where you want to go within your city. The police are trying to violate your rights, and anyone who tries to violate your rights, taking said persons to court would be a very good idea. Know your rights. You have every right to go where you want to go.

And furthermore, why don't the police seem concerned if those teenagers raise mayhem in the neighborhood they live in? Doesn't it affect the person's who live in their neighborhood as well? Or is it an attitude of "they're cockroaches, contain them and keep them away"?
Oh maybe on average they have higher rates of violent crimes, highschool drop outs, foreclosures, and bankruptcies. This is an average and doesn't mean all black people are deadbeat dropout criminals.

Try being better as a race if you want to be treated better.

Oh and NYC has a system of targeting crimes at the source, and likely already doing police in their neighborhood.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:39 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,612,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboibob View Post
Oh maybe on average they have higher rates of violent crimes, highschool drop outs, foreclosures, and bankruptcies. This is an average and doesn't mean all black people are deadbeat dropout criminals.

Oh and NYC has a system of targeting crimes at the source, and likely already doing police in their neighborhood.
Men have much higher averages of child molestation than women. Should we then assume all men are child molesters until proven otherwise?

I don't think so. We are all individuals and we have a presumption of innocence in this country. If you told the average man that he should be expected to be harassed in neighborhoods with children until the child molesters get their act together, I'm guessing he'd say he didn't have any control of what other men do, and that it wasn't fair.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:48 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,849,364 times
Quote:

Is it okay to persecute the individual for the actions of another?

It doesn't really matter if Blacks have higher rates of crime. As another person said, the individual person is innocent until proven guilty. You can only prosecute a person for the crimes that they committed, and courts only convict people on the basis of their own crimes.

As always, racism is a form of collectivism. A very dumb form. It seems like the concept of personal responsibility eludes you.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:

What do those statistics have to do with Blacks who aren't breaking the law? Yes, I am aware of the crimes committed by Black criminals. However, what does that have to do with Blacks who aren't breaking the law?

And more questions.

How does a Black person dropping out school warrant being treated poorly based on race? How does bankruptcy and foreclosure warrant a Black person being treated poorly? I don't care "what is". I care about how does any of this warrant being told "no Blacks allowed"?

Try being better as a race? That is a cop out. There are alot of Black people taking responsibility for their lives, doing the right things, not causing problems in the first place. Why should they have to wait for the underclass to get their act together in order to get better treatment? I'm already doing my part. Whatever happened to personal responsibility? Whatever happened to individual merit?

Old 12-03-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Is it okay to persecute the individual for the actions of another?

It doesn't really matter if Blacks have higher rates of crime. As another person said, the individual person is innocent until proven guilty. You can only prosecute a person for the crimes that they committed, and courts only convict people on the basis of their own crimes.

As always, racism is a form of collectivism. A very dumb form. It seems like the concept of personal responsibility eludes you.
Thank you!! Innocent until proven guilty is the foundation of our judicial system. It is suppose to be how our society works. Prosecuting the whole group for the actions of some does not make sense. If you haven't broken the law, why should you be presumed guilty?

Consider that group of Black teenagers in St. Louis who murdered a Bosnian man. Should those individuals who committed that murder get locked up for life? Yes They did the crime, now they must do the time. However, let those criminals pay the price, not the rest of the Black population.

I've also asked this, and for someone reason, no answer comes of it. Whatever happened to personal responsibility

Old 12-03-2014, 12:03 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,849,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

Try being better as a race? That is a cop out. There are alot of Black people taking responsibility for their lives, doing the right things, not causing problems in the first place. Why should they have to wait for the underclass to get their act together in order to get better treatment? I'm already doing my part. Whatever happened to personal responsibility? Whatever happened to individual merit?

I wonder why don't the racists who claim to have all the answers for the Black community fix the problem themselves? I mean, if they know so much, why not deal with and directly work with the underclass and fix the problem themselves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City