Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2014, 07:30 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times

Advertisements

Ok, so if it's that serious the entire human race should be wiped out soon, amirite?
Let's all make our wills today if we haven't done so.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-12-2014, 07:46 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,986 times
I feel sorry the nurses. No protection, ****ty pay, lots of responsibilities, no protections, etc.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:59 AM

5,121 posts, read 4,969,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Ok, so if it's that serious the entire human race should be wiped out soon, amirite?
Let's all make our wills today if we haven't done so.

7th, if it is sth of that grade,there is no point of making a will...will for whom? ...It is the combination of a lack of knowledge about ebola and an uncertainty of its way of spreading plus the lack of any effective treatment options that poses the fear and anxiety for public health officials.

When there was that sniper on loose in the D.C. area a decade ago, most D.C. residents were feared even though a single sniper could harm only one at a time... similar situation here except that ebola can amplify itself into many more snipers quickly.

Some refer to HIV as an example of how much ppl overreacted upon its first outbreak... but ask yourself, are you willing to be contracted with HIV just because there is much less media hyper on its victims today? if ebola turns out to be another HIV type of virus, which seems to be likely given its rate of spontaneous mutations, it is a tragedy of the human race because it is going to be unpreventable and untreatable once it spreads out like HIV. yes, ppl will have to learn to live with HIV and ebola eventually, but an educated society will always try to fight and fend off such deadly pathogens if it is impossible to kill them.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
7th, if it is sth of that grade,there is no point of making a will...will for whom? ...It is the combination of a lack of knowledge about ebola and an uncertainty of its way of spreading plus the lack of any effective treatment options that poses the fear and anxiety for public health officials.

When there was that sniper on loose in the D.C. area a decade ago, most D.C. residents were feared even though a single sniper could harm only one at a time... similar situation here except that ebola can amplify itself into many more snipers quickly.

Some refer to HIV as an example of how much ppl overreacted upon its first outbreak... but ask yourself, are you willing to be contracted with HIV just because there is much less media hyper on its victims today? if ebola turns out to be another HIV type of virus, which seems to be likely given its rate of spontaneous mutations, it is a tragedy of the human race because it is going to be unpreventable and untreatable once it spreads out like HIV. yes, ppl will have to learn to live with HIV and ebola eventually, but an educated society will always try to fight and fend off such deadly pathogens if it is impossible to kill them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
While ebola is not completely confirmed as airborne, it would be worthwhile to prepare masks for ppl to use in case of outbreak.

Have you started wearing your mask?

Old 10-12-2014, 08:44 AM

675 posts, read 1,256,400 times
Over 500,000 people in this country die of cancer per year, millions more that live suffer with the effects of it and in theory its possible that any one of us that don't have it can eventually be diagnosed with it (appx. 43 out of every 100 persons will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime). But yet I don't see all the "panic/fear" ever being promoted and pushed to the masses despite cancer being a relatively rare disease up until recent modern times. But yet I'm suppose to believe the end of the world is upon us because of a ebola virus that from 1976 to 2013 had less than a grand total of 2,000 cases??? Amazing how people can be conditioned to calmly accept one thing that is wiping out people by the millions but yet lose their minds over something else that has claimed the lives of less than 10,000 people globally over a near 40 year period. Amazing...

Old 10-12-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
Over 500,000 people in this country die of cancer per year, millions more that live suffer with the effects of it and in theory its possible that any one of us that don't have it can eventually be diagnosed with it (appx. 43 out of every 100 persons will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime). But yet I don't see all the "panic/fear" ever being promoted and pushed to the masses despite cancer being a relatively rare disease up until recent modern times. But yet I'm suppose to believe the end of the world is upon us because of a ebola virus that from 1976 to 2013 had less than a grand total of 2,000 cases??? Amazing how people can be conditioned to calmly accept one thing that is wiping out people by the millions but yet lose their minds over something else that has claimed the lives of less than 10,000 people globally over a near 40 year period. Amazing...
/thread

Old 10-12-2014, 08:58 AM

1,757 posts, read 2,145,293 times
Cancer isn't a contagious disease.

/thread

Old 10-12-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan2k5 View Post

/thread
Yet still more people die of it yearly than Ebola. Which one should I be more concerned with? Fear mongers. Maybe I will tell my job I'm taking a leave of absence and just stay in my house until the news stops talking about it. Are you going to stay in your house too? Maybe wear a mask, like OP suggested?

Old 10-12-2014, 09:09 AM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan2k5 View Post

/thread
In the spirit of 1 word responses:

Boom.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:12 AM

5,121 posts, read 4,969,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post

Cancer and other chronic diseases are not contagious and more related to personal/group life style/behavior and also linked with the rapid extension of the life expectancy in the past century that allows their manifestation in the population. without being able to live longer, we won't be able to recognize how prevalent such diseases are. and with that recognization, some members of the human society are devoting their life time researching methods to fight and cure these diseases. it is a process, a time consuming process, but still some of us do not give up the opportunity to prevent and fight them.

The caution against ebola is valid given the limited understanding of this virus, its deadly and contagious features, and lack of treatment options . i have not been to the infested african regions but i can imagine that, if granted means, local residents will all flee their homes for cleaner lands. are they not afraid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City