Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 12:00 PM

3 posts, read 5,536 times

Advertisements

Hey there! I am a student from Russia, in the next year i am planning to visit America by work-n-travel program.. I know that students doesn't get a decent job: usually they are housekeepers, lifeguards, waiters and et cetera. They don't earn a lot, just in order to eat, pay for the rent, buy some stuff and travel a lil bit.
I would like to hear from you, native americans, your opinion.

NYC is a big city, life is tense, life is expensive... I would like to earn also, not just work in order to survive..

Please don't be rude to me, i really hope to hear some good advices.

A little about me: i'm 20 year old girl, study journalism at university, not working, i don't have a big and fancy job experience... Well but i have lots of personal qualities, i'm friendly and nice person... does it even matter to anyone, though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 12:19 PM

43,364 posts, read 44,076,810 times
First you need a work permit and second your need work experience in order to get a good job.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:57 PM

571 posts, read 788,268 times
If I were you, I'd come here on "vacation", come out as gay and apply for political asylum.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:13 PM

8,640 posts, read 11,005,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post
If I were you, I'd come here on "vacation", come out as gay and apply for political asylum.
claim you were jailed by Putin for being gay too

Old 10-07-2014, 01:58 PM

31,682 posts, read 26,579,007 times
Don't tell this person that!

Asking for political asylum is *NOT* a slam dunk despite stories in media and or various anecdotal tales.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:45 PM

33 posts, read 63,266 times
Hey,

There are lots and LOTs of Russians in New York - esp. in Brooklyn. Many many Russian and Russian Jews in Coney Island, Midwood, etc. Many of them now have green cards. Best bet is to find a decent wealthy family with kids if they need a babysitter or work at your university you will be studying at.

Honestly some Russian girls find an American or Russian-American boyfriend get married get a green card and live in New York afterwards. You can easily get divorced and you'll still be a US citizen/green card.

Plenty of American men age 25 looking for pretty nice Russian girlfriends.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:54 PM

8,640 posts, read 11,005,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukesLobsterRolls View Post

Honestly some Russian girls find an American or Russian-American boyfriend get married get a green card and live in New York afterwards. You can easily get divorced and you'll still be a US citizen/green card.

that is a lot harder than it sounds to do that.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:36 PM

31,682 posts, read 26,579,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukesLobsterRolls View Post
Hey,

There are lots and LOTs of Russians in New York - esp. in Brooklyn. Many many Russian and Russian Jews in Coney Island, Midwood, etc. Many of them now have green cards. Best bet is to find a decent wealthy family with kids if they need a babysitter or work at your university you will be studying at.

You do realize it is not that easy and marriage fraud is against the law.

When it works then suppose like any other union it does, but marrying someone merely to obtain a GC is fraught with many problems up to and including domestic violence.

Marrying someone for immigration purposes gives the sponsoring spouse immense "leverage" over the non-citizen. Though in theory nothing should happen it can and does happen that the American spouse will use their position as one of power over the other. Yeah, the sponsored spouse can go to LE and so forth but that opens up a can of worms which can backfire.

Am totally surprised so many advocate all sorts of illicit and or illegal behavior, but then again considering what NYC has become one shouldn't be at all.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:45 PM

33 posts, read 63,266 times
Listen dude all I know is that a hyper ambitious Russian girl named Tatyana age 28 got a green card from marrying her Russian-American boyfriend (whom she later dumped and divorced) then somehow got an internship at my investment bank on Park Ave. and tried to get me fired and take my job (didn't work out and she got fired for being rude to clients) and is now happily at the NYC comptroller office after being blacklisted on Wall Street after graduating from Baruch (They must take anyone there)

So it's definiately doable. For my part, this episode left an extreme bad taste in my mouth about hyper aggressive hyper off the rails ambitious young Russian women who will do anything and throw anyone under the bus to make it, so I stay far away from them as possible.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:55 PM

3 posts, read 5,536 times
well thank you guys...
but i still didn't know anything about jobs in NYC. As i said my work experience is tiny, and i wanna know your opinion about get a good job there..
It's not easy to get in NYC, so i would like try my chances when i'm still a student, by j-1 visa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: