Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 11:42 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times

Advertisements

No such thing as kid friendly hood in NYC. The minute you walk out there are tons of speeding taxis, rude bicyclists, and pedestrian traffic. Hardly safe for any kid under 12 to walk safely on their own.

Time to look in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 02:02 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
With that budget you have a lot of options all along the hudson river with a great commute to columbia via the 1 train.

All of these areas also have convenient access to NJ and Westchester county by car for grocery shopping.

Riverdale - Suburban neighborhood in the Bronx. Great schools and you also may be able to rent a house. Far from the subway however. The metro north is available to 125 harlem (east side) and grand central. You can also take a bus to the 1 train subway. Riverdale is technically in the Bronx but its really more like westchester county in many ways.

Van Cordtlandt Village - This area is similar to riverdale but smaller. Its located on the southern tip of Van Cordtlandt Park. It is very quiet, green and family oriented. Unfortunately you will also need to take a bus to the 1 train from here.

Inwood - Nice quiet pocket north of Isham west of broadway. A lot of families with kids there. Inwood hill park is right there.

Hudson Heights - This is the area north of 181st and west of broadway. Very diverse area and filled with kids. Literally this place is a breeding ground. The playgrounds are packed with pregnant moms, strollers, and small children. If you're planning on doing public school, make sure to get a place within the boundaries of hudson cliffs. A lot of green space and parks too. Commute to columbia university will be very fast from here. I used to live here with my 2 year old and loved it.

You should also be able to find something within that budget right around Columbia itself. The area is called Morningside Heights. The UWS is another option. Very upscale area and you have central park and riverside park right there. You'll get less for your money in UWS however.

You can also consider New Jersey and/or Westchester county if you want a more suburban environment. NJ can be a pain commuting over the bridges / tunnels.

If you live in the Southern part of Van Cortland Village, you can walk to the 1 train around 231st or 238st.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:24 AM

10 posts, read 23,895 times
Thanks!! Fort Lee seems to be the place for us!! We like fully serviced buildings for our child and I just checked that they do have that with swimming pools, gym, children playroom and basketball courts. Horizon Towers look great but it is a co-op. Do you know any condo in Fort Lee with such amenities and a Hudson River view?

Old 10-09-2014, 11:24 AM

345 posts, read 853,394 times
Morningside heights, upper west side - Manhattan valley

Old 10-09-2014, 08:18 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,882,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab2012 View Post
Thanks!! Fort Lee seems to be the place for us!! We like fully serviced buildings for our child and I just checked that they do have that with swimming pools, gym, children playroom and basketball courts. Horizon Towers look great but it is a co-op. Do you know any condo in Fort Lee with such amenities and a Hudson River view?
The complexes I've been in / know personally are co-ops so can't really help there. One word of caution about Horizon, and I don't know this for certain, but I've heard rumors that the finances there are very poorly managed....so try to get your hands on them first or rent rather than buy if you go with that complex. Again, I'm not 100% sure because I haven't seen the numbers and it could just be one of those rumors that takes on a life of its own but if it were me I'd be cautious -- although of course it doesn't matter at all for renting.

There might be (probably is) a condo building in Fort Lee that is full service with Hudson River views, but when I think in those terms I think Edgewater much more-so than Fort Lee -- heck I wouldn't be surprised if that was the majority of the housing stock in the town -- but I'm not sure how good bus service is to the GWB station, and the ferry while awesome for getting to midtown takes you to the wrong part of Manhattan for your needs.

Last edited by ALackOfCreativity; 10-09-2014 at 08:29 PM..

Old 10-10-2014, 12:57 PM

5,518 posts, read 8,766,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab2012 View Post

Ft. Lee may be great for your housing needs, but don't move there without being fully cognizant of the commuting issues. The George Washington Bridge is the busiest bridge in the country and traffic can be a nightmare, making the bus ride across it stretch into an hour at its worst, even from Ft. Lee. Plus the GWB bus station is a horror to be in, though renovations are being planned. Then on the other end you'd have to either take the A train one stop and then switch to the 1 train to Columbia, or walk a few blocks to 181st and catch the 1 train there, or take the M4 from the bus station. (Of course if you're at Columbia medical center uptown none of this is an issue. You just walk.)

When everything falls into place it is not a terrible commute. But everything doesn't always do that. Just a heads up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City