Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 05:44 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
I've been working as a mental health counselor for a company based in Massachusetts for the past three years, but am hoping to move to NYC in July after living there before and loving it. However, I will only move if I have a job already out there that I can start. So I am in the process of setting that up. I have a few ins, but figured it would be best to throw as wide a net as possible and ask around. I was wondering if there are any companies in the NYC area that are hiring and regularly have openings that people know of?

I know in Massachusetts there are several companies like this such as Baycove, Vinfen, etc., but don't know any in NYC outside of one I've been reading about. Again, I want to have as big a net as possible as I only need to land one job and am searching out all the possibilities. Also, I was wondering what certification may be needed in NYC that I may not have and if anyone could help me with info on that? In MA for instance you need to be first aid and CPR certified then to give medication you have to be MAP certified. I have all three, but I know for a fact my MAP one only works in MA as I've also worked out of state, but cannot give meds when I do so. So I'm wondering what I would need to get for NYC.

Lastly, I'd probably only move if I can make at least $13.25 an hour, ideally at least $14.00. I make around that area now and am calculating for expenses. Thank you in advance to anyone who makes a helpful post

$13.25 isn't really enough to live comfortable in NYC. Think about you after tax income. You may be able to afford a small studio in someone's basement in one of the outer boroughs and, if you work in Manhattan, you'll be riding the subway and hour or so each way to work, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 04:07 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,704 times
I've been looking into some of the companies mentioned here as well as some others and YAI seems like it is most similar to where I work now and where I may have the most success. However, I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket so I'm curious if anyone knows any other similar companies yet mentioned that I may have overlooked?

Also, I'm hoping to move in July, but don't just want to sit around and wait before applying. Would it be best to just apply now? Also, I'm out of state so should I mention that or not draw attention to it? I couldn't realistically start working until July or maybe as early as June. Anything earlier would be...tough since I plan to move closer to make the commute realistic. If I apply now and they decide I am a good applicant would I be able to still get a job with them some months down the line or is it best to wait at least a little while?

Old 10-19-2014, 05:38 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
I've been looking into some of the companies mentioned here as well as some others and YAI seems like it is most similar to where I work now and where I may have the most success. However, I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket so I'm curious if anyone knows any other similar companies yet mentioned that I may have overlooked?

Also, I'm hoping to move in July, but don't just want to sit around and wait before applying. Would it be best to just apply now? Also, I'm out of state so should I mention that or not draw attention to it? I couldn't realistically start working until July or maybe as early as June. Anything earlier would be...tough since I plan to move closer to make the commute realistic. If I apply now and they decide I am a good applicant would I be able to still get a job with them some months down the line or is it best to wait at least a little while?
If I were an employer, there is no way I would interview and hire someone for a $13/hour position who does not already reside here.

I think you're better off beginning to apply just before you make the move, and use a NY address when you apply.

Also, if I remember correctly, I thought most of the lower-end jobs on sites like YAI and AHRC required a NY State drivers license. But maybe that is only for a certain type of job. However, it's something you should check.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If I were an employer, there is no way I would interview and hire someone for a $13/hour position who does not already reside here.

I think you're better off beginning to apply just before you make the move, and use a NY address when you apply.

Also, if I remember correctly, I thought most of the lower-end jobs on sites like YAI and AHRC required a NY State drivers license. But maybe that is only for a certain type of job. However, it's something you should check.
Makes sense. I just want to be cautious because the job I have now I was told I had in April 2012, but due to all the paperwork and hiring process I didn't actually start working until June 2012 (trust me I would have preffered to start much sooner, but some HR departments really drag their feet). So I don't want to be sitting around for two months not collecting a paycheck. I have temporary housing set up with a friend who said it was okay to use that address for my resume so I can use that.

But it still seems awfully early to apply to jobs when I don't plan to start until June/July. I'm thinking I should hold off until January, but is that too early/late? Worse than being stuck waiting two months would be not having anything set up at all, which is a stresser at the moment.

Also, I've previously looked into the NYS driver's license thing and they ask you about that on their application (at least YAI does). I have a driver's license and all, but it is a Massachusetts one. I have to figure out something to do there...Any help/suggestions/advice?

Old 10-19-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Makes sense. I just want to be cautious because the job I have now I was told I had in April 2012, but due to all the paperwork and hiring process I didn't actually start working until June 2012 (trust me I would have preffered to start much sooner, but some HR departments really drag their feet). So I don't want to be sitting around for two months not collecting a paycheck. I have temporary housing set up with a friend who said it was okay to use that address for my resume so I can use that.

But it still seems awfully early to apply to jobs when I don't plan to start until June/July. I'm thinking I should hold off until January, but is that too early/late? Worse than being stuck waiting two months would be not having anything set up at all, which is a stresser at the moment.

Also, I've previously looked into the NYS driver's license thing and they ask you about that on their application (at least YAI does). I have a driver's license and all, but it is a Massachusetts one. I have to figure out something to do there...Any help/suggestions/advice?
Sorry if I wasn't clear. What I said was to apply "just before" you are moving here. But take this as just some random person's opinion, since I really have no idea what the hiring process is like at that type of place.

I suppose if you really know you're moving here, you could change your driver's license to a NY State one using your friend's address and going to the NY DMV office. That means you won't have a MA license anymore. Not sure how that affects car registration, etc. if you own a car. (I am not sure you can have a NY license with a car registered in MA, but I can't recall the rules.) Also it obviously costs money. Maybe you should spend some time on the NY DMV site to see if you can get your questions answered.

Last edited by Henna; 10-19-2014 at 07:27 PM..

Old 10-19-2014, 06:32 PM

Also check idealist.org for jobs if you aren't already.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Also check idealist.org for jobs if you aren't already.
Cool, thanks for the link and info!

Yeah, I'll definitely have to look more into that license thing. I'm just hoping they aren't sticklers about the NY licesne thing. My current employer required a license too, but I don't remember them specifically saying it had to be an MA one. YAI specifically says it needs to be a NY one though, but then a followup question is about being willing to get one. Since I have an out of state license, a great driving record and am absolutely willing to get one I hope if I can't get it by the time I apply they can be accomodative. But then again I have plenty of time and am still exploring my options/not putting all of my eggs in one basket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: