Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2014, 09:50 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Lol look how you put my name in things. Sadly you have an insular mindset. I visited Arizona last month I liked it a whole lot. The reason why I haven't moved is because I have a stable paying job and family needs me at the moment. I'm looking for 5k to 10k extra to move out. America is a huge place and worth exploring. I have nothing against highly educated hipster yuppie transplants who come from some no name culturally white washed suburbs and this is regardless of race. If these two faced *******s enjoy NYC for what it's worth than that's good for them! Look at you dude! You hated nyc and left and failed at moderate LA and came back to liberal NYC. Why did you come back?
I came back because someone hooked me up with a situation I like. I got a good deal on a roommate situation in Manhattan which is perfect for now (I'll move on to something else in Manhattan as I earn more money). Some other stuff has been coming through for me too.

Also, in New York I don't have to worry about automobile costs. I'm not into driving long distances. Everything is a short train ride or walk away.

I realized that both personally and professionally I have an excellent network in NYC that would take me a long time to build up elsewhere. The best jobs and housing opportunities and everything you will not find advertised anywhere, you'll only get them through people you know.

So I sincerely wish you good luck in your move to Arizona and for those of you moving elsewhere, I wish you good luck there too, especially if you don't already know lots of people in those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
I think NyWriterDude needs to realize that if prices continue to rise in Manhattan then the middle-class and upper middle-class won't be able to afford it either. Manhattan will become solely for the uber rich. I mean to live comfortably in Manhattan today you have to make at least what 500k? There are more people in this country who don't make that then there are who do. So even the educated is leaving because they just don't make enough.

NyWriterDude is very opinionated and really has a poor attitude toward folks who dont necessarily agree with his views. In my opinion he comes across as an elitist little prick.

I don't know him personally and certainly do not wish to be negative toward someone but he kinda brings it upon himself with referring to others as ignorant, poor, or uneducated.

I'm sorry but something had to be said about this poster. I'll debate with anyone, I really enjoy the NYC forum and love the different views and opinions of everyone, even NyWriterDude.

But never since I've been coming on here have I ever talked down to someone, or referred to them as ignorant, poor, or uneducated. Even if someone were, I still wouldn't use those terms.
So basically it's all economic, isn't it?

Why shouldn't Manhattan be expensive? It's the business capital of the nation. No one is talking about making the nation as a whole pay Manhattan prices for real estate.

But it's a free market and there are enough rich people who want to live or do business in Manhattan so prices get bid up. I'd much rather see than that all the welfare housing that you had in the 80s, when many buildings in Manhattan and much of the infrastructure was literally crumbling.

At the same time, just because you can't afford to live in Manhattan does not mean you have to hate on it on or NYC. If you're really able to live the good life wherever you live why on earth would you honestly give a damn what the real estate is in NYC or what the price is?

Old 11-09-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Lol look how you put my name in things. Sadly you have an insular mindset. I visited Arizona last month I liked it a whole lot. The reason why I haven't moved is because I have a stable paying job and family needs me at the moment. I'm looking for 5k to 10k extra to move out. America is a huge place and worth exploring. I have nothing against highly educated hipster yuppie transplants who come from some no name culturally white washed suburbs and this is regardless of race. If these two faced *******s enjoy NYC for what it's worth than that's good for them! Look at you dude! You hated nyc and left and failed at moderate LA and came back to liberal NYC. Why did you come back?
You clearly do have something against highly educated people, as you say they all come from culturally white washed suburbs (as if that's a bad thing). Most of the nation, including people in Arizona would have a higher opinion of people from the suburbs than they would from the Bronx. I'm just sayin'.

But enjoy exploring the rest of America and I do hope you end up in a happier place (not physically, but a state of mind).

Old 11-09-2014, 10:36 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,386,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

Why shouldn't Manhattan be expensive? It's the business capital of the nation. No one is talking about making the nation as a whole pay Manhattan prices for real estate.

But it's a free market and there are enough rich people who want to live or do business in Manhattan so prices get bid up. I'd much rather see than that all the welfare housing that you had in the 80s, when many buildings in Manhattan and much of the infrastructure was literally crumbling.

At the same time, just because you can't afford to live in Manhattan does not mean you have to hate on it on or NYC. If you're really able to live the good life wherever you live why on earth would you honestly give a damn what the real estate is in NYC or what the price is?
I was born and raised in the country side, I really could care less about New York City, but I am from New York originally, Putnam/ Northern Westchester, I was an hour north of you.

My only point is just because NYC can demand higher living costs doesn't make it right. There are lots of educated people in Manhattan and even they aren't making enough armed with degrees from good schools they still need to live with 3-5 strangers in an apartment. And I'm only talking about Manhattan, NYC is actually 5 boroughs, not just Manhattan. So with the exception of Brooklyn, perhaps the other 3 boroughs are still affordable enough for the young college grads, I don't know.

It's like a vicious circle, as prices continue to rise up they also get pushed outward. With Manhattan as the focal point which is the most expensive, it then went to Brooklyn so that only leaves Queens, Bronx, and Staten Island. So as Manhattan becomes more out of reach even for the educated, and Brooklyn became the second most expensive, which out of the other 3 will become the next high price neighborhood?

When the police officers leave, the train operators and bus drivers leave, the sanitation department workers leave, who will be left to care of the city itself?

Old 11-09-2014, 10:54 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
With Manhattan as the focal point which is the most expensive, it then went to Brooklyn so that only leaves Queens, Bronx, and Staten Island.
I don't think you quite understand Brooklyn. Yes, there are parts that have Manhattan-style pricing. Then there's the rest of it, such as Flatlands, East Flatbush, Canarsie, East New York, Brownsville, etc.

I'm also confused about why you post so much about NYC and NYC real estate when your posts indicate that you hate NY. Also you don't seem to really know that much about NYC, which I guess makes sense since you never lived here and don't like it enough to visit.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:01 AM

672 posts, read 756,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

That's a familiar argument.

And for now, on Manhattan, things are peachy if you're established. Your modest home is skyrocketing in value. Your social network means you're well and truly 'in'. The folks who want to live on Manhattan but can't don't matter because it's the market, right? You've won the lottery of life. Awesome!

But the fact is this attitude, if prevalent enough, will see Manhattan become its own dormitory suburb.

You won't see hungry entrepreneurs, hustlers and creative types bringing their A game and taking risks to make it. Rather you've a million and a half well-paid working stiffs slogging along to make the mortgage payments or the rent, peppered with dilettantes and lucky inheritors. All that chaos and difference and energy has been muted. You don't have Weird Uncle Joe's Bookstore anymore, just another CVS.

But whatever. Let's just enjoy our 3 AM cuisine and forget about the world east of 2nd, shall we?

Old 11-10-2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
That's a familiar argument.

And for now, on Manhattan, things are peachy if you're established. Your modest home is skyrocketing in value. Your social network means you're well and truly 'in'. The folks who want to live on Manhattan but can't don't matter because it's the market, right? You've won the lottery of life. Awesome!

But the fact is this attitude, if prevalent enough, will see Manhattan become its own dormitory suburb.

You won't see hungry entrepreneurs, hustlers and creative types bringing their A game and taking risks to make it. Rather you've a million and a half well-paid working stiffs slogging along to make the mortgage payments or the rent, peppered with dilettantes and lucky inheritors. All that chaos and difference and energy has been muted. You don't have Weird Uncle Joe's Bookstore anymore, just another CVS.

But whatever. Let's just enjoy our 3 AM cuisine and forget about the world east of 2nd, shall we?
Uncle Joe's Bookstore was killed off by Amazon. And go into some of the smallest towns in the country and you will see CVS. Corporatization is everywhere and it cannot be escaped.

Yes, creative types will always come to Manhattan. But in the creative fields you generally have to go to a top school and/or have industry connections if you truly want to make a living as a creative type. This isn't the era in which someone could come to the city, claim to be an artist and spend a whole lifetime not making those money. Those people are getting the bare minimum of social security and living in the shelter or the nursing home or some other sorts of governmental residence.

And it isn't your god giving right to live somewhere. It would be wonderful if I tomorrow could buy a condo in the West Village. I can't do that right now because I cannot afford it. I can work towards the goal of buying a condo in the West Village. But I am not going to hate on those who currently can afford to live there, and I know if I want to buy a condo there I have to make a ****load of money.

I honestly think a big section of New Yorkers became complacent. The only thing keeping a lot of poor people (and yes, I am including poor people with jobs, not just on SSI) in New York City was the government. Rent stabilization, rent regulation, Section 8, various HRA programs, etc. But these poor people were naive, because what the government gives the government can take away. Rent regulations have been eased and now the city (along with the state and feds) gives developers incentives to tear town rundown housing and replace it with luxury housing. This has been happening for years, everyone has had plenty of time to prepare but that's not the mentality of people dependent on the government. The true lesson is stop depending on the government and work on earning enough money to live where you want.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
I was born and raised in the country side, I really could care less about New York City, but I am from New York originally, Putnam/ Northern Westchester, I was an hour north of you.

My only point is just because NYC can demand higher living costs doesn't make it right. There are lots of educated people in Manhattan and even they aren't making enough armed with degrees from good schools they still need to live with 3-5 strangers in an apartment. And I'm only talking about Manhattan, NYC is actually 5 boroughs, not just Manhattan. So with the exception of Brooklyn, perhaps the other 3 boroughs are still affordable enough for the young college grads, I don't know.

It's like a vicious circle, as prices continue to rise up they also get pushed outward. With Manhattan as the focal point which is the most expensive, it then went to Brooklyn so that only leaves Queens, Bronx, and Staten Island. So as Manhattan becomes more out of reach even for the educated, and Brooklyn became the second most expensive, which out of the other 3 will become the next high price neighborhood?

When the police officers leave, the train operators and bus drivers leave, the sanitation department workers leave, who will be left to care of the city itself?
So you have nothing to do with NYC. So this doesn't affect you at all. Why do you even care?

And yes, it is right that NYC, SF, and LA get the best that they can get for their real estate. This is a capitalist society. For a man who claims to like Ronald Reagan, you sure do come up with stuff that sounds like it comes from some kind of welfare state background.

As for Brooklyn, as Henna pointed out some parts of Brooklyn are relatively affordable (Bay Ridge, Sunset Park, Keningston), some parts are outright ghetto (East New York, Brownsville). Some parts can at times be more expensive than parts of Manhattan (new buildings in Williamsburg, Dumbo, etc).

The civil servants (MTA, NYPD, DSNY, etc) tend to live in the outer boroughs or the suburbs even. But New York has been like this for awhile. Not even in the 80s or 90s would you have had many civil servants in Manhattan. The nicer parts of Manhattan were too expensive, and the cheaper parts where too ghetto (many of these bad areas have gentrified).

Old 11-10-2014, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I don't think you quite understand Brooklyn. Yes, there are parts that have Manhattan-style pricing. Then there's the rest of it, such as Flatlands, East Flatbush, Canarsie, East New York, Brownsville, etc.

I'm also confused about why you post so much about NYC and NYC real estate when your posts indicate that you hate NY. Also you don't seem to really know that much about NYC, which I guess makes sense since you never lived here and don't like it enough to visit.
Well because I find this conversation engaging

Old 11-10-2014, 05:10 AM

I just want to add that I'm not a NYC hater, the city is a fine place to visit, I've been to the bronx zoo, yankee stadium, downtown Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City