Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2014, 07:29 AM

30,530 posts, read 18,010,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Ithaca, NY was like that. Typical upstate collegetown.
I did my undergrad in Ithaca as well, and agree. That said, Ithaca does have a good share of "townies," albeit of a leftist, higher taxes sort. As someone who is from NYC, though, I can't see myself living here. Even though I am able to live here on my salary, I would be so much more comfortable living elsewhere with a lower cost of living. Not to mention living somewhere with nicer weather would be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 09:36 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,678,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
All I'll say is to be careful where you are moving to in North Carolina. Many of the low income individuals being priced out of NYC and elsewhere are moving South, bringing certain problems with them. I have family in NC, and they constantly complain about the influx of gangs, drug dealing, and a certain "shove it in your face" attitude that has accompanied certain populations that have been priced out of cities/states elsewhere.
Take a spin through CARY, Containment Area Relocated Yankees. Very nice area though.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:09 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,513,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Take a spin through CARY, Containment Area Relocated Yankees. Very nice area though.
the grass isn't always greener. That's where I moved to... looking for my next move right now.

if you don't mind 90 + high humidity for 5-6 months, NC is the place for you.

if you don't mind one carbon copy (think Stepford Wives) suburban sprawl after another, then Cary is the place for you.

moving from NY to Cary is a huge culture shock. (in that there is hardly any culture here)

Old 11-14-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
the grass isn't always greener. That's where I moved to... looking for my next move right now.

if you don't mind 90 + high humidity for 5-6 months, NC is the place for you.

if you don't mind one carbon copy (think Stepford Wives) suburban sprawl after another, then Cary is the place for you.

moving from NY to Cary is a huge culture shock. (in that there is hardly any culture here)
Own a home there? Yeah, I agree not a suburban sprawl person. But it's one of many areas where x Ny'ers are heading to. What's the weather there today? It's chilly up here and gonna get worse.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:09 AM

33,736 posts, read 46,979,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1973 View Post
...And then there's those people who make plenty of $ and just grow sick and tired of NYC life. At the opposite end of the "NYC sucks and that's why I left" spectrum, are the people who assume EVERYONE who leaves does so for financial reasons (which is an equally stupid and egocentric stance). I would bet that a good amount of people that leave NYC life do so neither because they hate it, nor because they can't afford it. Maybe they just got tired of it and wanted a nice big quiet back yard.
No native making in excess of $250,000 a year would ever leave here. There are people not from NYC who come here, make that much, then grow tired of city life and want to go back to surburbia - but trust me, no native NYCer (born and raised here) making $250K+ would ever leave.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-14-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
No native making in excess of $250,000 a year would ever leave here. There are people not from NYC who come here, make that much, then grow tired of city life and want to go back to surburbia - but trust me, no native NYCer (born and raised here) making $250K+ would ever leave.
That's not true. Actually, go take a look further West where you live. The one thing that drives people with kids is schools. That's a trend that's been happening in NYC for a very very long time. NYC, has one of the least diverse schools going. Ask yourself why?

Old 11-14-2014, 11:46 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,513,177 times
Quote:
Own a home there? Yeah, I agree not a suburban sprawl person. But it's one of many areas where x Ny'ers are heading to. What's the weather there today? It's chilly up here and gonna get worse.
renting a townhome, so glad we opted for that vs. buying a home. Easier to walk away from.

Weather today is just fine (for me) - chilly. Weather is subjective - to me 90 degrees and humid for months on end (even at 10pm) does not mean nice. I basically came here because as you said, many NYers are here and I thought it would help me transition to a new place, so far from home.

I know lots of people move here and love it, but the South is not for me.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:07 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,863,960 times
Quote:
That's not true. Actually, go take a look further West where you live. The one thing that drives people with kids is schools. That's a trend that's been happening in NYC for a very very long time. NYC, has one of the least diverse schools going. Ask yourself why?
Oh please. Wealthy people in NYC can afford the best schools and their kids go to college at places like the Ivy League or MIT(if they want to stay in the Northeast) or Stanford.

The only way a native New Yorker making over 250k is leaving as if they had some career opportunity in some other places. The wealthiest people like that will still maintain a NY residence and go back and forth.

It never ceases to amaze me when people have bull**** arguments that they know they'll lose, then they try to hide between the pure innocent children and "education'.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:12 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,863,960 times
Quote:
I pretty much agree, with the exception that executives born in NYC and making over $250 might move elsewhere if a career move meant they go to up the corporate ladder elsewhere. Of course these people have more than enough money to still maintain a New York residence.

As I've already said, some of the people complaining here have never even come to NY, they are just shocked at how much it would cost for them to live here market rate (when they would love to do so, but have neither the resources nor the connections to pull it off).

You can also going to say no one from suburbia making over $250k (with a rising career) would want to go back to suburbia. Those people (like Bloomberg) are eventually able to afford both a place in the city and a place in the suburbs or country. Economics is the driving factor in why you see all these complaints about the city.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:15 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,518,752 times
Quote:

What a silly assertion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City