Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2014, 01:37 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I don't get it. You start out saying you didn't leave due to affordability, then you launch into a whole long thing about how much more affordable your expenses are in your new location. If you didn't leave due to salary or affordability, why is that what you are choosing to emphasize

Also, I don't know what your specific living situation was in Brooklyn (nor does it matter) but I would like to mention that many/most choose to live a long distance/commute time from Manhattan because they can more easily afford a place in that further-out location. If you chose to live in a far-out area of Brooklyn that causes you to have a long commute, but still claim that you were making plenty of money, that doesn't make sense to me.
As to your first statement; The cost of getting a home was not an issue. The costs associated with owning a home were. If we take property taxes as an example. Here its around $1600. When I left NYC it was $8000 for a home 1/2 the size sitting on 5% of the property I currently have. If you don't understand that its fees/taxes nibbling away at ones net then you will never get it.

As to your second statement both are around 25 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 01:58 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBTCHEESE View Post
City faces middle-class exodus
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...e-class-exodus

Why Middle-Class Americans Can't Afford to Live in Liberal Cities
Why Middle-Class Americans Can't Afford to Live in Liberal Cities - The Atlantic
Great finds. I'm surprised people are having a difficult time realizing this exodus has been happening for some time.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:59 PM

34,093 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
For the ex-NYrs I've met over the past few years, most had paychecks large enough to stay in NYC. But like me, the expenses outside of COL chipped away at the net pretty quickly. A simple parking ticket down here is around $15, yet its $115 in NYC. Add up all the fees and they make a major difference.
Parking ticket is not a good comparison. Park where you're supposed to and you wont have to pay $115 or $15.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-16-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
As to your first statement; The cost of getting a home was not an issue. The costs associated with owning a home were. If we take property taxes as an example. Here its around $1600. When I left NYC it was $8000 for a home 1/2 the size sitting on 5% of the property I currently have. If you don't understand that its fees/taxes nibbling away at ones net then you will never get it.

So like she said - you could not afford it. If you could afford what you wanted in NYC you wouldn't even be speaking on this. But you can't, therefore you speak.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Parking ticket is not a good comparison. Park where you're supposed to and you wont have to pay $115 or $15.
It's an excellent point to bring up. NYC for years use the NYPD and meter maids as a source of revenue for city coffers. Why would you bang out a middle class/working class guy with such an excessive ticket?? Same reason NYC/NYS taxes the living hell out of people for cigarettes/Cigars. Clothing/New cars/Car Insurance. When you start adding up all these things that leads to people leaving.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:19 PM

151 posts, read 218,338 times
I haven't read the entire thread, but I generally agree with Norwood Boy.

I love New York City, but it definitely has its problems, and most of them are due to liberal economic policies.

I wish we could demolish the projects. I wish every sort of "affordable housing" was abolished. I wish the unions were extirpated. Cut taxes.

Those things happen, and we'd see a much better, much cleaner, much safer, and much more affordable city.

The fact we have an "affordable housing" problem in an America city bottles the mind.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:26 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:

Of course I get that it's expensive here to have the best of everything, including a short commute time. If and when I leave, I will be the first to admit it's because I couldn't afford the type of life/size home, better neighborhood, etc. I could have if I had more money.

What I don't get is your starting out a post downplaying the issue of affordability and then go on to prove that's all you can talk about.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
It's an excellent point to bring up. NYC for years use the NYPD and meter maids as a source of revenue for city coffers. Why would you bang out a middle class/working class guy with such an excessive ticket?? Same reason NYC/NYS taxes the living hell out of people for cigarettes/Cigars. Clothing/New cars/Car Insurance. When you start adding up all these things that leads to people leaving.
Why not just park where you're supposed to??? I haven't gotten a parking ticket in like 8 years.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Why not just park where you're supposed to??? I haven't gotten a parking ticket in like 8 years.
Sure everyone should park legally but sometimes crap happens. But to bang someone out for some families a day/half a days wages?? I would say that's excessive. Also that's a small part of the daily taxes that people pay to live here.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Sure everyone should park legally but sometimes crap happens. But to bang someone out for some families a day/half a days wages?? I would say that's excessive. Also that's a small part of the daily taxes that people pay to live here.
Name a city that doesnt cost as much as NYC but offers its residents the same level of service that NYC does.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City