Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 12:01 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,783 times

Advertisements

Brooklyn man shot after yelling 'I want to kill the Jew!' - NY Daily News, This on the heels of the hatchet attack in Queens. http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...280312192.html.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 10:57 PM

15,867 posts, read 14,491,391 times
This sounds like a localized crazed lunatic. He was known the the cops, and had previous arrests. He was diagnosed Bipolar, and they suspect he was off his meds.

Given that he stabbed and seriously injured someone at the synagogue and lunged at a cop with the knife, I don't have a problem with them shooting him. But I'm a bit surprised that none of the cops used something like a Taser to take him down immediately, instead of letting him keep control of the knife, and letting the situation continue.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:54 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,084,509 times
It's becoming more and more clear the price we are all paying on a daily basis for the budgetary decision of many years ago to close down all the mental institutions and leave the criminally insane walking the streets.

Two things we as a society just don't want to really deal with in any meaningful way…..race relations and mental illness.We will keep paying a price until we get around to dealing with them.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:48 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
Police are not trained to use Tasers on armed individuals. They are too inconsistent. Besides, in NYC, only supervisors carry Tasers.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:19 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,517,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Given that he stabbed and seriously injured someone at the synagogue and lunged at a cop with the knife, I don't have a problem with them shooting him. But I'm a bit surprised that none of the cops used something like a Taser to take him down immediately, instead of letting him keep control of the knife, and letting the situation continue.
You get exactly one shot with a taser. If it misses, gets snagged in clothing, fails to fire, etc.. you're now dead.

The NYPD has a 21 foot rule, where if an attacker armed with a knife is within 21 feet of an officer, the officer should have their gun drawn and ready to fire. Any closer than 21 feet and the attacker can close the distance and stab quicker than a gun can be drawn.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:26 AM

30,649 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
You get exactly one shot with a taser. If it misses, gets snagged in clothing, etc.. you're now dead.

The NYPD has a 21 foot rule, where if an attacker armed with a knife is within 21 feet of an officer, the officer should have their gun drawn and ready to fire. Any closer than 21 feet and the attacker can close the distance and stab quicker than a gun can be drawn.
That's what a lot of people aren't realizing. And these policies are in effect for a reason. There have been more than a few cases of perps with knives who were advancing towards police officers within 21 feet (when they were shot) who still managed to stab and kill the officers. It's easy to second guess police officers, but many of the suggestions for "improving" policing are reckless, misinformed, and would only serve to endanger the lives of officers who do a heck of a lot to keep us all safe. Not on my watch.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:35 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,542,087 times
I love how they are NOT calling this a hate crime since the culprit is supposedly mentally ill. Screaming "I want to kill a jew" is not enough?

Crazy people can be racists too.

Has a black perp in nyc ever been charged with a hate crime?

Old 12-10-2014, 11:46 AM

5,522 posts, read 8,776,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It's becoming more and more clear the price we are all paying on a daily basis for the budgetary decision of many years ago to close down all the mental institutions and leave the criminally insane walking the streets.

Two things we as a society just don't want to really deal with in any meaningful way…..race relations and mental illness.We will keep paying a price until we get around to dealing with them.
^^So true, so true. A rep point to you.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:23 PM

15,867 posts, read 14,491,391 times
If you're the only cop there. I don't believe this was the case. If there's more than one, the first can cover the perp with his gun, then the second can Taser the perp. I've seen this done in other situations in other cities. I don't think the NYPD even issues Tasers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
You get exactly one shot with a taser. If it misses, gets snagged in clothing, fails to fire, etc.. you're now dead.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:02 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
If you're the only cop there. I don't believe this was the case. If there's more than one, the first can cover the perp with his gun, then the second can Taser the perp. I've seen this done in other situations in other cities. I don't think the NYPD even issues Tasers.
Judge rules that cops used excessive force in Tasering - NY Daily News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City