Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 10:19 PM

126 posts, read 156,895 times

Advertisements

If I want to go to Union Square, for example, I usually take the R from Bay Ridge Ave to 59 St then transfer to the express N.

The N, however, makes all the local stops at late nights, so is there a faster way to get back home? Maybe taking the 4/5 from Union Square then transfer to the N at Atlantic/Barclays or is that the same thing? I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 06:17 AM

30,642 posts, read 18,249,084 times
I'd just stick to what you're doing, or even just take the R train late nights. After all, I'm pretty sure that all NYC subway lines run local during the evening. And by switching trains like that, which includes added wait times, you actually run the risk of having an even lengthier commute.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:29 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
Try the MTA Trip planner. It will allow you to put in the time of travel, and it should give you a few options of routes to take.

MTA NYCT - Trip Planner+

Old 12-04-2014, 08:45 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,404,660 times
I've lived in Bay Ridge for many years and I used to travel to and from Union Square all the time. If you have to come back late at night when the N train goes local then you should just stick with it. Taking the 4 or 5 will not save you any time and might take longer. Once you get off the 4 or 5 you have to walk all the way to the other side of the terminal to catch the N or the R. Also if you miss your stop you have to back track and that can be a pain in the a$$. Just grab something to read and enjoy the ride.

When I went out to the city I would either try to get home before the N train went local, buck up and pay for a cab (around $40) or just dealt with the local-stop train ride home.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,132,661 times
Late nights, the 4 train also runs local (and it still runs through Lower Manhattan to boot). You're adding an extra transfer for no reason (and it's a more difficult one, involving passageways and stairs).

By the way, in case you're interested, there's also a bus from 59th Street to Bay Ridge Avenue. Sometimes there's problems with the (R) train (Somebody said they once had to wait 56 minutes for an (R) train late at night, because the connections were all screwed up).

Here's the schedule: http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bkln/b009cur.pdf

You can track the bus with MTA BusTime. See bustime.mta.info It may very well be quicker than waiting for the next train, especially if you live west of the train station (because it continues along Bay Ridge Avenue).

Unfortunately, Union Square isn't near the (D) train, or else I'd tell you to just take that, since that runs express 24/7. (Unfortunately, it skips 14th Street & 6th Avenue, even late at night).

Old 12-05-2014, 09:37 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Kinda what you get for living in Bay Ridge. Nice neighborhood and relatively affordable. There's always going to be a catch with that.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:01 PM

518 posts, read 826,123 times
What can save some time at night is take a Q which runs over the bridge and skips lower Manhattan to DeKalb Ave, where you may hook up with the N you may have just missed at Union Square. At DeKalb if there is no N and a D comes in, take the D to 36th st and get the R shuttle to Bay Ridge Ave, thereby not needing the N at all that night.
The big pain in your night commute will not be the N. It will be the R shuttle which runs either 36th to 95th, where the D or N can connect, or 59th to 95th, where only the N can connect to the R. The MTA changes where the nighttime R goes on a constant basis with little or no notification to customers and sometimes even conductors on other trains do not know what the R is doing at nights.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:24 PM

33 posts, read 37,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Kinda what you get for living in Bay Ridge. Nice neighborhood and relatively affordable. There's always going to be a catch with that.
My husband wants to move to Bay Ridge but I prefer quality time over affordability and these long train rides don't coincide!!! Argh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City