Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 06:26 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,811,742 times

Advertisements

From NY Daily News.

Escape from New York: Why some have put the city behind them - NY Daily News

Seems like the common theme is the skyrocketing COL putting a strain in their finances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 06:34 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,674,891 times
LOL, Was just about to post the same link. It's really hard to make the dollar stretch with a ton of native NY'ers leaving every day.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:35 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,028,154 times
I saw this article and thought of so many posters on City Data. One thing the article emphasizes is that while it might feel impossible to leave, it can be done. Do you hear that City-Data? If you're not happy, you too can leave!!!

One thing the article doesn't mention is where you should go to be happy and financially secure. Guess everyone will have to figure that out for themselves.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:14 PM

836 posts, read 1,027,901 times
Quote from the article: "New York City is a hugely expensive prison."

I couldn't agree more. Great article. Thanks for sharing! Unfortunately, this city is just simply too expensive for me so I have to move back down to VA where I can have (what I consider) a greater QOL.

No regrets moving here though (from a professional stand point).

Old 10-12-2014, 07:19 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,811,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
One thing the article doesn't mention is where you should go to be happy and financially secure.
Some books authored by Ed Glaeser, Jeff Speck and Andres Duany have offered a few suggestions.

In my own observation, Ann Arbor and Chapel Hill appear to be favored by those who have completed higher education.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:24 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,674,891 times
I'm gonna suspect jobs and kids keep people in the big apple. If your a single person especially if your a transplant to head out. If you grew up here with a family here tougher to sever ties. Also if you have small kids do you uproot them out of school? Tough move IMO.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:26 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,337,653 times
NYC is great but like anything any other city also has its drawbacks. For some the pros outweigh the cons and for others, the pros are simply too few or can't be taken advantage of (their income is too low).

I've spent my entire life in this city but I'm already tired of it. I love that the city has so much to offer in terms of variety but the QOL is low.

My career is in finance but as soon as I obtain my MS, I'm looking to leave. The opportunities in NYC come with a price. There's no free lunch in life.
Moving out of NYC is not hard by any means. The problem is most who aren't happy with this city don't want to take the risk of moving. It's more of "the devil you know, ..."

Old 10-12-2014, 07:50 PM

22,578 posts, read 24,384,716 times
I lived in NYC, Manhattan, for almost a year back in the late 80s. Wow, I had a blast and actually lived quite well on 7.25 an hour.

I could imagine the type of life lower middle-class people live in today's ultra-expensive Manhattan.

I left after nearly a year......too much fun and the concrete-jungle feel was starting to eat at me.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:21 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,943,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
I'm gonna suspect jobs and kids keep people in the big apple. If your a single person especially if your a transplant to head out. If you grew up here with a family here tougher to sever ties. Also if you have small kids do you uproot them out of school? Tough move IMO.
If the school is horrible of course its best to uproot them. But from my observation plenty of New Yorkers are leaving do to cost of living and quality of life. but I do agree with you on here Nwood that its really hard to severe family ties especially when loved ones need help or are ill. NYC wears out plenty of people most notably those who were born here. I think NYC is best for people who are not native to the city and come from bland or homogenous background or lifestyle, or with those who have plenty of money. Also due to the city liberal nature, this place is also good for women and the poor.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 10-12-2014 at 09:51 PM..

Old 10-12-2014, 10:50 PM

377 posts, read 514,489 times
I'm leaving next year. I make a good living but factor in the taxes, fees, TOLLS, catholic $chool tuitions, communist mayor and very long commuting times, we have decided to relocate to North Carolina. I have lived here all of my 48 years on this earth and I will miss it here, but what I really miss is long gone like some of the posters in that article stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City