Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 09:03 AM

6 posts, read 9,486 times

Advertisements

It's been a month since my family and I moved into a 2 year lease apartment in Brooklyn, NY. When I was looking at the space I asked the realtor about the upstairs neighbors and he said "they're the nicest people I've ever met." Unfortunately that turned out to be untrue. The ceilings have poor sound-proofing and all I hear is their kid running around all the time. On the weekends they're doing some kind of construction and there's constant banging. I've spoken to them and they just don't care. Building management says the tenant can do construction anytime they want, even though I know there's an ordinance that prohibits it on the weekends. They also installed a washing machine that hums and bangs all the time, which is clearly not allowed in the lease. I won't be able to stick it out for 2 years. What are my options? How do I break the lease or perhaps officially request building management to give me a different apartment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 09:14 AM

769 posts, read 1,014,157 times
Wood beam building.

Should have rented in a concrete hardwall building.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:11 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Not sure, but there are some articles online.
Ask an Expert: Tips for breaking a lease over neighbor noise | BrickUnderground

https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/n...noisy-neighbor

Old 10-13-2014, 11:17 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I would just move. life is too short to be tortured by upstairs neighbors.
To bad on the LL, look for something else and call it a day.
I would be damned if id stay because of a freaking lease and a LL that would do nothing plus a freaking kid running around upstairs.
no way. id move, and i dont give a crap.

its a lease, it isnt anything god will give a crap about.
the Ll will get another tenant, dont let them fool you.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,687 times
yes if you can afford it, move!! Don't think $400 to pay for mover is a loss. Think of it as positively because getting rid of stress is more than $400 or whatever you spend.
Don't bother being patient, calling 311 , landlord blah blah. Because lets say you wait 1 years for all the preceding's , giving proof to landlord, landlord giving notices to the tenant etc. and worst can happen to a bad neighbor is they get booted out. Next thing you know you get replaced with worst neighbor than the last one. So who is the winner? Hint: You are loser. So don't search all day finding solution online or seeking legal help. If you're a working person, there is no reason not to move.
Nuisance are probably top reason to break a lease, but I'm not a lawyer just a real person told everything it like it is.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:18 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
Why not mention this and ask to your management company what options you have.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:57 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Stop paying the rent! Record the noise! Play it for the judge, if & when you get to court. Even if you get evicted, you'll have a few months free rent, while looking for a better place. Don't expect a good reference!

Old 10-13-2014, 09:28 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
If the banging, running and washing machine/dishwasher hum and vibration bother you at night, buy either Mack's or Flent's "ear stoppers." Properly inserted, they cancel out most all noise. Young children shouldn't mind the noise and will fall asleep in spite of the racket. A good night's sleep improves the disposition and allows you to better cope with the situation.

If you are just unable to acclimate yourselves to the noise, then ask management if they will allow you to sublet the apartment. If they refuse, and you and your family's health is adversely affected by the noise, consult a real estate attorney to plan a course of action. Moving out or stopping rent payments without legal advice and planning is asking for trouble. A landlord can sue you for the balance of the lease plus court costs. If judgment is entered in the LL's favor and you don't appeal, they can garnish your bank account, seize cars and furniture and even garnish your wages to satisfy the judgment. (Note: The LL would have to show that they made a good faith effort to re-rent the apartment but couldn't before they could sue for the balance of the lease).

Last edited by Wells5; 10-13-2014 at 09:37 PM..

Old 10-13-2014, 11:06 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
If it's during sleeping hours you can always get ear plugs. I have ear plugs and it solved the noise problem during sleeping hours.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:45 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,808 times
I run a fan at night because the city is just too darn noisey. It solves most noise problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: