Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2014, 10:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,334 times

Advertisements

Here is the story,

I just got a new roommate on Oct 1st. We met twice before Oct 1st, and he paid his first month rent on Sep 29th. He is having hard time to pay the security deposit, so I didn't ask him to pay it immediately as long as he can pay the first month rent.

He told me that he is very busy and would probably move his stuff in later than Oct 1st. I already gave him the key and everything seems okay. But the problem is he still hasn't moved in yet, and I haven't seen him for a week. We haven't actually signed any contract before Oct 1st because I think once he moved in I can reach him much easier. He is kind of hard to reached.

We only text with each other and the last time he text me is Oct 7th. I text him a couple message after Oct 7, but he didn't text me back at all. I know he can use the room however he wants, so if he wanted to move in a little late, no big deal. But I start to worry that is it possible if he didn't move in at all, can he ask his rent back because he didn't actually move in? And if it is, what can I do?

This is my first time having a roommate, and maybe I worry too much but I really feel something is not right. Could anyone give me some advice please, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 10:25 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,811 times
No he can't get his rent back. But your worry is if he doesn't fulfill his lease obligation (move in and pay November rent) you are going to be out November rent. I'd let him know that since he did not give you a security deposit, you will need November rent by Oct xx. Bc your biggest worry is if he just flakes out, you will be out November rent.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,334 times
Yeah, I am also worried about next coming rent, but it's good to know that he can't ask his money back. I think I should let him know if he isn't going to be my roommate for next month, he should give me at least 2 weeks advance. Thank you for your reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: