Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 04:39 PM

26 posts, read 17,904 times

Advertisements

Alright guys, I'm a 19 y/o American planning to move to the city in a month or two (late December being the latest) in time to start my freshman year in BmCC if all goes well. I've been living abroad for a year working at my family's restaurant & saving up funds to afford first couple months rent or a broker if necessary ($6000 in total).

Coming to the states again, I'd be w/ no family members, seeing as all my friends live in Jersey or Penn & attending college so they won't be able to help out much. Obviously, have no house, or couch to bounce in on when I get here. So I'm on my own for the most part.

Current situation has gotten a bit complicated since I found out that it's hard to be assigned as an independent for the FAFSA & don't fulfill the criteria. Going to BmCC, I'd still be considered as an out-of-stater 'til I have a direct NY address for a year. Meaning I have to pay that much more for tuition & don't apply for all the bonuses that come w/ being a resident in the states own community colleges.

Also, first priority being getting a job & looking for a apartment, what do you guys recommend I do to apply & show up for interviews? Should I stay at a hostel or an airbnb while I go on foot? Should I just ask one of my Jersey contacts or family friends to drive me around (inconsiderate) the city to some of the interviews/roomate calls?

Long term plan currently, ace my first 2 years at the CC & hopefully transfer to Baruch to study finance/business (most affordable) & work my way up the business ladder wherever it leads.
Hoping that on top of my good notes, a recommendation from my friends dad who was a notable alumni at Baruch might ease things potentially.

Short term job side of things, obviously open to anything. Though my friends & family recommend something in the retail industry. Since (excuse my blatant arrogance), I'm fairly good looking, 6 feet, white, green eyed & have been asked to model before. Hence, an opportunity at an appearance emphasized job is more likely then the food industry where NYC experience is highly important & sought after by employers it seems.

Lastly, I'm open to any safe borough for now, don't mind the commute or care about the amenities.
Seeing as the average salary in the retail industry is around $30,000 in NYC, I'd say $1,000 would be my budget for a room. Ideally would like a roommate to share the burden with seeing as I'm young & have no network lol. Lifestyle for now is pretty moderate, won't have much time to spend money as a full time student w/ a full time job. So most of my budget will be going towards the bare necessities (microwaved food, hygiene, haircuts & the odd taxi), no partying or smoking. Might buy a gym membership later on when I have the funds, but I have to prioritize for now.

For the record I have researched this & have seen plenty of rooms going for less than $1000 in 2/3 bedroom apt in the East Village & midtown in general. The market in upper Manhattan seems to be fairly static & the going rate for a 1br/1bth is $1250, though the location is less than ideal & morningside heights is safer.

(tl:dr) Therefore, w/ no "official" job experience, paycheck stubs, guarantor, referential, credit, car, or anything a normal adult has...how does one make it here? Do you guys have any advice or services you'd recommend for someone in my situation? Am I planning this right? Realistic goals? Is BmCC any good or LaGCC better? Entry level jobs?

Thanks guys, any advice appreciated & I need to get this show on the road. Worst case scenario, I move back abroad w/ my family. Go big or go home, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 04:45 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Nothing to worry about.You should be fine. Just get one of those people from NJ to drive you around to job and roommate interviews. Sounds like you have everything else figured out.As you have said,your looks will open endless doors for you.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Nothing to worry about.You should be fine. Just get one of those people from NJ to drive you around to job and roommate interviews. Sounds like you have everything else figured out.As you have said,your looks will open endless doors for you.
Thanks for the re-assurance. If I can't get one of my friends to drive me around, what would you recommend? Stay at a hostel in downtown & see if I can line up a job interview in a few weeks? Or do you think finding an apartment should be the priority?

To your last phrase, haha I wouldn't go that far

Old 10-14-2014, 05:03 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Stay in the cheapest hostel you can find.

BMCC is a good choice for people working toward something bigger academically. You will meet many in your situation.

Get a restaurant job. If you cannot find one elsewhere given lack of New York experience, try Harlem restaurants. The selection process is probably less rigorous while the better ones attract an affluent crowd, which means tips.

Does retail pay that much ? I would not think it does.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Stay in the cheapest hostel you can find.

BMCC is a good choice for people working toward something bigger academically. You will meet many in your situation.

Get a restaurant job. If you cannot find one elsewhere given lack of New York experience, try Harlem restaurants. The selection process is probably less rigorous while the better ones attract an affluent crowd, which means tips.

Does retail pay that much ? I would not think it does.
Cheers, pal. I've only heard bad reviews regarding people seeking financial aid or other services at the main office. Though if you go there work hard & try to be a good alum, it seems the teachers there will adhere to you more (obviously) if you don't treat it like 13th grade. Seems some people have that luxury in life

Yeah I have highly considered it & it seems the most logical option for money. Guessing I'd start as a busser, & would have to work my way up to being a waiter.

Thanks for the tips man, much appreciated

Old 10-14-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentStateOfMind View Post
Cheers, pal. I've only heard bad reviews regarding people seeking financial aid or other services at the main office. Though if you go there work hard & try to be a good alum, it seems the teachers there will adhere to you more (obviously) if you don't treat it like 13th grade. Seems some people have that luxury in life

Yeah I have highly considered it & it seems the most logical option for money. Guessing I'd start as a busser, & would have to work my way up to being a waiter.

Thanks for the tips man, much appreciated
Maison Harlem.

You need to manage your own financial aid at the city colleges.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:36 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentStateOfMind View Post
For the record I have researched this & have seen plenty of rooms going for less than $1000 in 2/3 bedroom apt in the East Village & midtown in general. ?
I don't think rooms in Midtown and East Village are $1000. They should be more along the lines of $1400-$1600, or more. But since you don't mind living elsewhere, just find a room in your budget.

I would not have someone "drive you around" since people mainly get everywhere on the subway. So as long as you can get to the subway, or to the PATH in NJ that connects to the subway, I think you should be going everywhere yourself. It's not that hard, and is much more efficient than driving around.

Since you were living abroad, do you happen to speak a second language fluently? This will help you get a job in service/retail, provided it's an in-demand language.

Why not spend your first week in a hostel? I have heard there are some decent ones (never stayed in one myself). That way you could also meet some people during your first week. Try looking through the reviews on yelp Hostel New York, NY

Old 10-14-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Maison Harlem.

You need to manage your own financial aid at the city colleges.
Haha even better, cheers. Will look into that next month.

Ah alright, good to know.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

Why not spend your first week in a hostel? I have heard there are some decent ones (never stayed in one myself). That way you could also meet some people during your first week. Try looking through the reviews on yelp Hostel New York, NY
I have often heard that the one on Amsterdam, is it around 103rd ? is quite good.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:03 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Forgot to give the caveat about Yelp. Don't believe all the reviews. I usually disregard any reviews that were written by any member with less than 5 reviews on their account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City