Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 10:06 AM

26 posts, read 43,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
That color has everything to do with this thread. YOu answered your own question.
It seems like you just have a problem with the neighborhood because it's white and upper middle class. Not much I can do about that, and I certainly don't control the behavior of other people. If the residents aren't welcoming enough to you, why bother to go up there? No one is forcing you to go to Riverdale. Go to another neighborhood that you feel is more welcoming to minorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 10:10 AM

107 posts, read 219,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harper123 View Post
So I was wondering if Kingsbridge 232nd st is safe for a white younger female? I will be working at bronx lebanon hospital and was told by realtors that kingsbridge is basically the same as riverdale, but from these posts it doesnt seem like it. also, kingsbridge is quite a hike from the hospital!! i really dont want to commute >30 minutes to Bronx Lebanon hospital. From Kingsbridge, it would be soo far. Im worried about commuting for long periods of time because like i said, im in my 20s white blonde hair blue eyes = target. i really want something safe and im not sure about kingsbridge, but i have a place lined up to see in a few days on 232nd.

i was wondering if anyone had advice of where someone like me should be looking to live? thanx!!
I just bought a place in Kingsbridge and can say without a doubt in my mind that you will be fine. My husband and I moved here from queens and are white, late 20s and although it has been only a month we have had zero issues during the day and night walking around the area.

There is a great mix of people in the area and my area (west of Broadway) is extremely safe. There is a very neighborhoody feel to it and I always see young families, moms walking around with baby strollers by themselves, college kids and police (due to the proximity to 50th Precinct). I have explored the area east of Broadway and while it is a bit more gritty I still feel completely safe walking around. The Bronx Ale House is right there near the 238th St stop and it doing great in the area.

There was another poster who said he saw no gentrification at all. He may not be that familiar with the area as there is a lot going on, just not the type everyone sees in Brooklyn. Commercial Development is what is driving a lot of this and along the Broadway corridor they are putting up new stores and buildings. They have removed the old Stella Dorio (sp?) factory and are putting up a BJ's, Aldi and a bunch of other stores in the area.

This will drive up property values over time and eventually raise rents in the area as it will become more desirable. Now if they could only bring back the 9 express train the areas growth would be much faster

Getting back on topic, the grid area west of Broadway is fine, the more south you go the more gritty it gets with the Marble Hill Houses but the area sees very little crime. Up the hill is true Riverdale and there is immense spill over into the Kingsbridge area. The further East you go the more gritty it is but again, the crime in the area is extremely low.

Dont take my word for it, look up the CompStat police report for the 50th precinct and compare it to other areas and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:10 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,545,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briar-on-hudson View Post
It seems like you just have a problem with the neighborhood because it's white and upper middle class. Not much I can do about that, and I certainly don't control the behavior of other people. If the residents aren't welcoming enough to you, why bother to go up there? No one is forcing you to go to Riverdale. Go to another neighborhood that you feel is more welcoming to minorities.

Looks like are you reading into this much and imaginging stuff I haven't said. Why should ppl run away? Neighborhoods should change for the better. And they will, just give it time.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Looks like are you reading into this much and imaginging stuff I haven't said. Why should ppl run away? Neighborhoods should change for the better. And they will, just give it time.
Riverdale doesn't need to change. It has been fine long before you started visiting and complaining about the lack of minorities you see there, and it will remain just fine, even as you continue to complain about it because God forbid a neighborhood be majority white with few minorities living there. Big no-no for some people.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brxite View Post
I just bought a place in Kingsbridge and can say without a doubt in my mind that you will be fine. My husband and I moved here from queens and are white, late 20s and although it has been only a month we have had zero issues during the day and night walking around the area.

There is a great mix of people in the area and my area (west of Broadway) is extremely safe. There is a very neighborhoody feel to it and I always see young families, moms walking around with baby strollers by themselves, college kids and police (due to the proximity to 50th Precinct). I have explored the area east of Broadway and while it is a bit more gritty I still feel completely safe walking around. The Bronx Ale House is right there near the 238th St stop and it doing great in the area.

There was another poster who said he saw no gentrification at all. He may not be that familiar with the area as there is a lot going on, just not the type everyone sees in Brooklyn. Commercial Development is what is driving a lot of this and along the Broadway corridor they are putting up new stores and buildings. They have removed the old Stella Dorio (sp?) factory and are putting up a BJ's, Aldi and a bunch of other stores in the area.

This will drive up property values over time and eventually raise rents in the area as it will become more desirable. Now if they could only bring back the 9 express train the areas growth would be much faster

Getting back on topic, the grid area west of Broadway is fine, the more south you go the more gritty it gets with the Marble Hill Houses but the area sees very little crime. Up the hill is true Riverdale and there is immense spill over into the Kingsbridge area. The further East you go the more gritty it is but again, the crime in the area is extremely low.

Dont take my word for it, look up the CompStat police report for the 50th precinct and compare it to other areas and you will be pleasantly surprised.
Commercial development yes. Gentrification? Not really. Kingsbridge was originally a white Irish neighborhood. The white population has declined. If more whites are moving in I would call it a repopulation, but not gentrification. It's not as if incomes are going up. Still working class people.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Riverdale doesn't need to change. It has been fine long before you started visiting and complaining about the lack of minorities you see there, and it will remain just fine, even as you continue to complain about it because God forbid a neighborhood be majority white with few minorities living there. Big no-no for some people.

"Doesn't need to change" is subjective. However, it will change in time. You don't know me or anything about me. The reason why the Riverdale area remains majority white is due to a particular reason and it has nothing to do with money. Cash doesn't discriminate and plenty of ppl regardless of color got it. Have a nice day living in your bubble.

What makes more economic sense? Buying a house in Kingsbridge for $350K or a $800K home in Rivedale? I think Kingsbridge will appreciate quicker and you'll be able to make a bigger profit. Buying low and selling high is economics 101. The home in Riverdale is not going to rise much higher.

For those new to the area, Broadway has always been the dividing line between the 2 areas unofficially going back 3 decades. It doesn't mean it will remain so in the future. Quite frankly, I don't care. Less competiton is better for me.

Last edited by Mistertee; 10-15-2014 at 11:10 AM..

Old 10-15-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
"Doesn't need to change" is subjective. However, it will change in time. You don't know me or anything about me. The reason why this area remains white is due to a particular reason and it has nothing to do with money. Cash doesn't discriminate and penty of ppl regardless of color got it. Have a nice day living in your bubble.

What makes more economic sense? Buying a house in Kingsbridge for $350K or a $800K home in Rivedale? I think Kingsbridge will appreciate quicker and you'll be able to make a bigger profit. Buying low and selling high is economics 101. The home in Riverdale is not going to rise much higher.

For those new to the area, Broadway has always been the dividing line between the 2 areas unofficially going back 3 decades. It doesn't mean it will remain so in the future. Quite frankly, I don't care. Less competiton is better for me.
Riverdale only needs change for people who have a problem with white neighborhoods. Otherwise it's perfectly fine.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:41 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harper123 View Post
…………………...
i was wondering if anyone had advice of where someone like me should be looking to live? thanx!!
You might check out the area around Mosholu Parkway and East of The Grand Concourse,especially the northern part of Bedford Park.It's a nice neighborhood( I'd actually rather live there than most of Kingsbridge) and it would give you an under 15 minute straight shot on the D train to work.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Commercial development yes. Gentrification? Not really. Kingsbridge was originally a white Irish neighborhood. The white population has declined. If more whites are moving in I would call it a repopulation, but not gentrification. It's not as if incomes are going up. Still working class people.

What is the key to gentrification? | The University of Chicago Booth School of Business

Read up. It will explain why an area like Kingsbridge will come up eventually. As for Riverdale, it will change in time. Maybe you can't comprehend English, but I have stated I only have an issue with Riverdale. I grew up in Kingsbridge back when the Irish were running it. They were far more welcoming than anyone in Riverdale.

Last edited by Mistertee; 10-15-2014 at 11:12 AM..

Old 10-15-2014, 10:46 AM

624 posts, read 982,218 times
I would do as other posters suggest and explore the area yourself during the day and at night and see how comfortable you feel.

If I were in your position, these are the areas I would be considering:

Kingsbridge ($$) - This is a good area and its only getting better every year. Being squeezed between riverdale and inwood / wash heights will force it to improve as those areas continue to get more expensive. It also has really great shopping available. You've got target right there along with the new Aldi food market in the new shopping center. You really can't go wrong in terms of local amenities. If you have a car, grocery shopping in Yonkers and westchester county provide all of the suburban conveniences. The 1 train gives you access to work (with additional bus commute) and also access to the entire west side of Upper Manhattan which has a lot of its own places to see and things to do outside of downtown. I don't live in Kingsbridge but my impression is that its pretty safe here. Listen first to your own experience and experiences from people who actually live here. A lot of people get allergic when they see too many black/brown faces or think the Bronx is still burning from the 1970s.

Van Cordtlandt Village ($$$) - This is the area just south of Van Cordtlandt park and its a good safe neighborhood. You can take a bus directly to the hospital or take a bus to the 4/D trains in Bedford Park and then ride down the concourse. Its technically part of Kingsbridge.

Woodlawn ($$$) - This is a mostly irish neighborhood north of woodlawn cemetery and east of Van Cordtlandt Park. Very safe here and it has a mostly white working class demographic (if that's important to you). Its a bit remote from everything though so if you're after the fun city lifestyle (and you should be in your single 20's), this may not be the best option.

Norwood / Bedford Park ($) - This is a working class neighborhood and while improving it has the farthest to go in comparison to the other options. I believe it has a ton of potential and in time will improve. The area is filled with green space. It's probably the most beautiful and greenest neighborhood in the Bronx. I'm a 29 year old white guy and I've been living here for 2 months. There are a few other of us white folks sprinkled around which you see from time to time. I walk around at night all the time and have never felt unsafe, but then again I'm not a woman so its different. Of all the options in the Bronx, this area would offer you the fastest commute to work (just hop on the D train) and the cheapest rents. Studios can be found for < 1K / month but there are very few studios available in the area. The 4 and D trains give you access to the east and west sides of Manhattan and are express trains when you get out of the Bronx. The ride to downtown is still rather long however with all of the local stops in the Bronx. Also in Kingsbridge, you get to travel to uptown Manhattan via the 1 train. While the 4 and D trains and useful for traveling downtown, they don't hit Manhattan until 125th street and there's really not much you'd want to go and see in the Bronx between 125th and Bedford Park Blvd. If you want to save money, have a fast commute to work, and not live with roommates this is your best option.

Inwood / Wash Heights ($$$$) - Offers more a city like experience but the rents are higher and climbing. I used to live there with a family and I loved the neighborhood. Getting to Bronx Lebannon from Wash Heights near the GWB would be very fast by bus as its just a direct trip east. You could probably walk to work on a nice day if you wanted to (don't do it at night, the area around your job is not so good). I don't know what your budget is but these areas can get more pricey and you may want to consider roommates. There are tons of students and workers from Columbia Hospital which share rooms in the areas around Jay Hood Park. Finding a roommate situation on craigslist will be easy. If you're looking for a place to live alone, be prepare to deal with bull**** real estate brokers who want 15% fees. If you want more of a city lifestyle, fast commute to work, and don't mind roommates and/or don't mind paying more for your own place, this is your best option.

And yes as the earlier poster mentioned, don't listen to anything a broker says. Real estate agents are the scum of the earth. I have more respect for car salesmen.

Last edited by fmatthew5876; 10-15-2014 at 11:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City