Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 02:04 PM

12 posts, read 21,503 times

Advertisements

I also got a parking ticket recently because I didn’t know it was a driveway because it has no curb cuts. I called 311 and they were no help. They said they don’t have info re if a driveway requires curb cut, all they know is it is illegal to park in front of a driveway, or if I want to pay or dispute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 03:27 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepybird View Post
I also got a parking ticket recently because I didn’t know it was a driveway because it has no curb cuts. I called 311 and they were no help. They said they don’t have info re if a driveway requires curb cut, all they know is it is illegal to park in front of a driveway, or if I want to pay or dispute.
File compliant with DOB about illegal driveway.

https://portal.311.nyc.gov/article/?kanumber=KA-01083

Old 01-10-2022, 03:41 PM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepybird View Post

That's strange because the owner of the property most likely reported you but the NYPD should have noticed it was not a legal driveway and not ticketed you.

Old 01-10-2022, 03:51 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
That's strange because the owner of the property most likely reported you but the NYPD should have noticed it was not a legal driveway and not ticketed you.

I would take pictures of illegal driveway and fight ticket. Would also as stated above file complaint with DOB about illegal driveway.

People not wanting to get dinged by creating illegal curb cut often just make the driveway thinking long as they haven't touched city property (the curb) it's all good.

Old 01-10-2022, 06:46 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
With all the available parking on the street ( hahaha ) why single out this one spot?

So many other people on the block having this same spot in their cross hairs
when they come home at night looking for a spot? Just to make a point or sour grapes?

Old 01-10-2022, 09:48 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,235,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
My neighbor across the street deceided to paint his curb cut bright yellow. I did the 311 thing on the computer, in about 3 weeks, the yellow paint was re painted balck. The the next door neighbor in the mean time did his yellow, I did the 311 thing again, and 4 weeks later, his yellow line was painted gray.

We know its a curb cut, we know not to park there, and you are not entitled to paint your curb cut yellow.

I get such a charge out of reporting people on this yellow paint thing.
LOL, oh well.....

I am also thinking about how I can report someone else for parking over the curb on the sidewalk....I cant figure that one out as of yet.
I actually like when people paint their curbs yellow beyond the point of where it cuts. A lot of people think that matters and won't park there so spots stay open that wouldn't otherwise.

Old 01-11-2022, 06:44 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
I actually like when people paint their curbs yellow beyond the point of where it cuts. A lot of people think that matters and won't park there so spots stay open that wouldn't otherwise.

Well, I dont.
I know when a driveway curb cut ends and where the legal parking starts.
I dont need someone painting thier curb cut yellow and beyond to deter parking near it.

so far in my neighborhood any curb or crub cut that i see yellow paint, i repoert, and they do come and check, or send letter or whatever they do because all oif the yellow painted curb and curb cuts that I have reported have all since been painted back to gray.
ha ha ha.

yes, i do need a life, thats for sure.

Now, i have to figure out how to report a neighbor that uses his lawn that has been cemented over for 4 cars to park on, because in order to get to those spots, the cars have to drive up on the corner sidewalk thus, driving on a sidewalk which is illegal.

Old 01-11-2022, 07:01 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalKaos View Post
If it's a driveway, it requires a curb cut and a P/W 1 PW1 Plan or Work Approval must be applied for and obtained. You sort of have to read between the lines.

It has become quite the big deal to get a new curb cut approved. Most applications are denied, especially from those wanting to use the front of their house as a parking space. Existing legal driveways should be noted on a property's C of O, but buildings constructed before 1938 did not require a C of O. My 1960-issued C of O has a 'driveway permit' number typed on it.

A neighbor here on S.I. had a problem getting a new driveway approved. His house was built in 1956 without a driveway but the C of O included a driveway/curb cut permit number. He was selling the house to his son and wanted to install the driveway. At first the NYCDOB wouldn't give him a curb cut permit. He didn't know he could get a copy of his C of O off of the NYCDOB website. I told him how to get a copy of it, and he submitted it to the NYCDOB which then approved his request because it was on the C of O. He still has to get an architect to file the plans however.

NYC curb cut process - https://www1.nyc.gov/site/buildings/...curb-cuts.page

Old 01-11-2022, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Yes the owner reported me because she told me when I went to get my car. She said I’m lucky because she also called tow truck. Are you saying the fact that it doesn’t have curb cut or yellow line mark makes it illegal? I parked there honestly because it wasn’t immediately obvious to me that it’s a driveway.

Old 01-11-2022, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
File compliant with DOB about illegal driveway.

https://portal.311.nyc.gov/article/?kanumber=KA-01083
I'm going to do that. Should I report it as "Damaged" or "Illegally cut for a driveway"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City