Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 05:47 AM

18,466 posts, read 31,624,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
You are that nightmare neighbor everyone living on the block dreams of shooting in the head. Keep it up and that dream may come true. You are probably the guy who puts an orange cone in front of the house so no one parks in "your spot." God forbid someone parks on the city street you will place a nasty note on their car. Typical Brooklyn JO.

I don't live in a house, I live in an apartment building and have to park on the street like everyone else, so no, i don't appreciate people painting their curbs yellow, giving us street car parker's more aggravation, when the homeowner has a driveway to park in.
No, I don't put cones anywhere, I know your not supposed to do that, I wouldn't, besides, if I see a cone, and I need a parking space, like so many of us apartment dwellers do, I will simply move it, park, and call it a day.

and, if your hogging up two parking spaces where 2 cars only can park right next to each other, your right, I already have pre-printed papers made up "your hogging up two parking spaces", and I will leave it under their windshield.

Parking in a city street, people should have some common courtesy, and sense to know that between 2 driveways 2 cars can fit, you just have to pull all the way up to the beginning of the driveway, NOT just plop your car dead smack in the middle, thus taking up 2 valuable parking spaces.

How do you like that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 09:21 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,116,728 times
My friend lives in Queens and house a house with a legal driveway. Driveway has always been there. People block her driveway CONSTANTLY. She has missed doctors appointments because she couldn't get her own car out of her driveway. Sometimes they park in it completely, most of the time the just don't fit in the spot and are several inches into her driveway. With another car parked on the other side, she still can't get her car out. The police have never once come to ticket the people blocking her driveway. She painted the cut part yellow in a desperate attempt to make it more likely she would be able to use her own driveway, and the city showed up immediately. I would mostly likely be in jail if I were her.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:10 AM

18,466 posts, read 31,624,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
My friend lives in Queens and house a house with a legal driveway. Driveway has always been there. People block her driveway CONSTANTLY. She has missed doctors appointments because she couldn't get her own car out of her driveway. Sometimes they park in it completely, most of the time the just don't fit in the spot and are several inches into her driveway. With another car parked on the other side, she still can't get her car out. The police have never once come to ticket the people blocking her driveway. She painted the cut part yellow in a desperate attempt to make it more likely she would be able to use her own driveway, and the city showed up immediately. I would mostly likely be in jail if I were her.

Yes, that is a problem, for sure.
The house across the street from us, if someone parks too close to the next door neighbor, that lady cannot pull into her driveway, thus beeping horn, but luckily it is another driveway, side by side to it so anyone parking there is a visitor of that house and does come out and move it.

a lot of legal driveways are difficult to navigate, painting it yellow won't help it, as not many people pay attention to it though.

If someone parks in her driveway completely, they can, will and should get a ticket, that, the police can and will do. At that point, if she needed to get out of her driveway, with a ticket on the car, the car can be towed if she felt necessary.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:31 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,150,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post

Unbelievable arrogance on the part of those blocking her driveway! She can't paint the curb but can post a 'No Parking in Driveway' type sign on her property adjacent to the driveway. You said the cops don't respond but tell your friend to report the problem online at the link below and leave her email address so she receives the tracking number. She may get a better response.

Follow instructions at -

'Report a vehicle that is partially or completely blocking your driveway.'

https://portal.311.nyc.gov/article/?kanumber=KA-01062

Old 01-01-2023, 03:40 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,080,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Yes. A driveway must have a legal curb cut. The problem is that there is no easy way to determine if a sketchy-looking curb cut is legal.
A corner house at the end of my block has a sketchy curb cut. It always had a curb cut for a driveway and garage but a new owner expanded the length of the curb cut to accommodate access for two vehicles at the same time. One vehicle is in the driveway and a second vehicle is alongside it in a new driveway and the longer curb cut allows the them to enter and exit without moving one of the vehicles. I don’t recall ever seeing a single home having a double curb cut. Even assuming it’s legal, why would the city approve a longer curb cut that takes away street parking? I doubt it’s legal though because it’s a sloppy job with the concrete just leveled out to the street without a clearly defined curb cut. I see a lot of homes where the front yard is paved to make room to park another car but this guy lengthened his curb cut as well.

Old 01-03-2023, 02:44 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,836,692 times
Sometimes being right becomes expensive.

Until it is straightened out................to curb or not to curb..............find another place to park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City