Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 08:08 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,904 times

Advertisements

Take the test, it takes 1-2 years and better your life for you and your daughter. Get out of the projects, you can make this happen. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 10:05 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooji View Post
Do not apply for FDNY. ... you're never home. Firefighters work 24-48 hour shifts
Work one day, you're off 3. Scheduled 91 days annually. With vacation days, a personal day & perhaps a sick day, you'll work 82 to 85 days, and be off 280 days!

Old 10-23-2014, 10:35 AM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
Don't just apply to the NYPD. Apply to all the suburban departments as well. Also do the FDNY, Sanitation, MTA, school safety, and whatever else you can find.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:03 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
read mein kampf and realpolitik and be able to do push ups on one pinky.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:47 AM

34 posts, read 59,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobSaibot View Post
If I'm not mistaken, it could take up to 2 years+ to get called for the NYPD, and even after you get called, it's a lengthy process involving background checks, drug testing, psychological testing, waiting for the next academy class, etc.. I know this because I took the test to become a School Safety Agent and it's a very similar process. Not to butt in though, but I think the School Safety Division pays more than a Police Officer and it's way less risky (although there are some dangers) so you should consider that since you want to make more money. Just a suggestion though. Good luck.

PO makes more money than School Safety Agent.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_sword View Post
Alright long store short does anyone know how long does it take to be accetped to the police academy after taking the NYPD written exam? The reason I wanna join the NYPD is that I moved into one of the NYCHA projects located in LESP with my family about a yr ago (I am not gonna name which one but it's located under the bridge of williamsburg ). My family and I are Asian and I've seen lots of Asian, hispinc and black residents live in this area. Within the first 2 months after I moved in, nothing seemed to be wrong so I thought it was a nice neighborhood at first. However, it turned out that my neighbors (I am not gonna specify the ethnicity) started to show their hospitality by smoking marijuana in the hall (I am a smoker but I never touched that stuff and am able to identify the smell) and constantly loitering the hall. They even party at times during mid night (playing noisy music that you can hear it even if you are far away). That's why I wanna join the NYPD to 1) make more money and get outta here ASAP and 2) ensure the safety of my family. so I would like to know how long do I have to wait to get notification after I took the NYPD exam? million thanks!

PM me if you want to know. How far along are you?

Old 11-03-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightweightbaby View Post
Police makes way more than school safety. prepare for a long wait. 2-3 years. I heard the preocess is tedious and lengthy. Better to apply for fdny. its even worse if you live there and they know your a cop.

Depends on your character and investigation. The waiting is the killer and it's only because they are doing more of a thorough investigation than before 9/11. If you have a clean background, no record, etc, you will be fine. If you have stuff in your background and it can mean anything, the process will just take longer.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,030 times
Default If you know rell me please

I'm 34 and i'm still trying to get the 60 credits i need for the nypd do you think i can take the writting test before i finish college since we know if i get called it would take some time and by that time i will have the 60 credits?? Or i should wait till i get the credits then take the writting test but it will be maybe when i'm about to turn 35 years old . If you know or if you can give me an avise please do . Thank you

Old 02-28-2016, 07:20 PM

60 posts, read 46,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cescaf View Post
I'm 34 and i'm still trying to get the 60 credits i need for the nypd do you think i can take the writting test before i finish college since we know if i get called it would take some time and by that time i will have the 60 credits?? Or i should wait till i get the credits then take the writting test but it will be maybe when i'm about to turn 35 years old . If you know or if you can give me an avise please do . Thank you
You should call them and ask like tomorrow. There is an age limit. You must have taken the exam by your 35th birthday to join the NYPD. Unless you are a veteran of the U.S. Military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City