Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2014, 08:37 PM

1 posts, read 6,944 times

Advertisements

I have 2 years of high school experience here in usa. I graduated from a NYC public high school 3 years back. After graduating from HS I got into a 4yr CUNY college. First year of college went well but all of my problems started from second year. I had clinical depression and because of that I had a lot of withdraws and an incomplete class. However my GPA was 2.83 I transferred to a community college (CUNY) to make the situation better. Unfortunately, first semester of community college wasn't good. I am getting back on track but the process is slow. I really wish I had more information when I first started college. There is no way to turn the clock back.

Based on my situation is it possible to remove all my college records and start a fresh transcript?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 05:17 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Probably not would be my assumption.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:30 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
you can re-take the classes that you received bad grades and replace them with a better grade.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:15 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
Transfer to another school and your gpa will reset again.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:27 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Primary, secondary and higher education records are legal documents. Anyone altering same and or sending to another institution would be in a world of trouble.

No, you cannot "reset" previous college work, your transcript is what it is, end of story. Best you can hope for is another college will not ask for your transcripts to be forwarded when you apply, but have *NEVER* heard of such thing.

Freshmen college applicants are those with only an education through high school and no college credits. Everyone else including graduates, and or those with any college credits are considered "transfers". That and or they will be required to submit transcripts from all previous colleges attended. Indeed most places regardless often ask for high school and college transcripts as part of the admission process. Exemptions to his rule would probably come from those seeking post graduate degrees (masters, Phd, etc...) where having a four year college degree implies completion of high school or somehow obtaining a diploma.

As for retaking classes difference colleges and majors have specific rules as to what they will and will not accept in terms of repeated classes. Many nursing programs for instance will not accept *any* repeated "pre-nursing sequence" classes.

Even when classes are repeated the original grade from previous work remains and is factored into one's overall GPA. It takes on average two or more "A" grades to undo the damage done by just one "F" or any grade below "C", it just how averaging works.

Back in the days when records were mainly on paper and researching/waiting for transcript requests could take weeks or months it may have been easier to pull a fast one. However with changes in technology finding out such information about college students is relatively easy. CUNY in particular is a network system of colleges/universities. It takes only a SSN and or just a name to bring up academic information about any student in the system.

Also consider intentionally omitting information when applying to a college is a serious offence. If found out even if years afterwards one is subject to dismissal regardless of how well one is doing now.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:05 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Also consider intentionally omitting information when applying to a college is a serious offence. If found out even if years afterwards one is subject to dismissal regardless of how well one is doing now.
It is grounds for immediate dismissal and this does happen. Violation of academic integrity.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:23 PM

544 posts, read 1,526,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecentric View Post
Based on my situation is it possible to remove all my college records and start a fresh transcript?
If it were possible then everyone with poor grades would have done that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
If found out even if years afterwards one is subject to dismissal regardless of how well one is doing now.
Guess that's like cheating on a exam... What if it's found out after the person has finished all courses? or even graduated? Guess his diploma would be annulled?

Old 10-25-2014, 10:29 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
You can retake the classes. I took accounting 3 times before I got a grade I could live with (C+). Unfortunately that's all you can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: