Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 12:37 PM

68 posts, read 247,048 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My husband and I live on Long Island, but work in NYC. His office is moving to LIC at the end of the year, and we are so unfamiliar with the location that I thought I should reach out for some insight. His office will be on 44th Drive (11-11 44th Drive). No matter how much research I do on this area, I'm not finding out much and honestly I am a little worried about the safety of the neighborhood. It appears that the commute would be via the LIRR to Jamaica and either jumping on the E train or another LIRR train line into Hunterspoint (please correct me if I'm wrong). My husband works very late hours at times, and I suspect it will be desolate and unsafe as he's walking to either station. If he drove, I also understand there is probably not a good amount of parking in the area. I'd love some advice from anyone who is familiar with the neighborhood - any advice that you think would be relevant. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 12:54 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,255 times
Your husband is going to be fine. That whole area, while it might not look super trendy and bustling with traffic, is getting renovated/gentrified. It's turning very brooklynesque.

I cannot comment on the parking situation in the area though as I do not drive. The E train is like 2 blocks away from where he will be working so it's not like he'll be walking the streets all night long trying to get there. If he goes to the LIRR at hunters point he'll have probably a 10 minute walk, but IIRC the train doesn't run from there past rush hour times so I don't think that would be a viable option for him on his return home.

In fact If I'm not mistaken, connected to that building is a rock climbing place so he might even get some awesome arms by going there for a lunch time work out!

Old 10-24-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
Your husband is going to be fine. That whole area, while it might not look super trendy and bustling with traffic, is getting renovated/gentrified. It's turning very brooklynesque.

I cannot comment on the parking situation in the area though as I do not drive. The E train is like 2 blocks away from where he will be working so it's not like he'll be walking the streets all night long trying to get there. If he goes to the LIRR at hunters point he'll have probably a 10 minute walk, but IIRC the train doesn't run from there past rush hour times so I don't think that would be a viable option for him on his return home.

In fact If I'm not mistaken, connected to that building is a rock climbing place so he might even get some awesome arms by going there for a lunch time work out!
Nice!! Thanks, skinnayyy - that really eases my mind quite a bit! I'll let him know about the rock climbing place - sounds like fun!

Old 10-24-2014, 02:01 PM

2,543 posts, read 2,865,719 times
I live in the area. It's safe. Some streets can feel very desolate at night but anywhere south of Queens Plaza is still safe at that time. I wouldn't expect parking to be all that bad to be honest. It's not a very high density area.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:43 PM

186 posts, read 308,135 times
I live in greenpoint just over the bridge from lic. Nice area. But if your husband takes the lirr in the morning to hunters point and wants to take it back the last train to leave hunters point in the evening is at 6:30 pm. He would have to take the E train from court square to Jamaica. The hunters point lirr train only runs Monday to Friday rush hours only. Just a little fyi.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:13 PM

Thank you all so much!!! This is great and helpful information! It's kind of funny how LIC seems to be this mysterious place compared to the other sections of Queens. It certainly sounds a lot better than I thought!

Old 10-24-2014, 11:45 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
Could be quicker to take LIRR to Woodside & then the 7 subway to Queens Plaza or the next stop (Court Sq I think). It's a decent area that's quickly getting more built up.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:36 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,638,530 times
Though L.I.C. like others mention can seem barren, desolate and super quiet, its also a really safe area. It was never a bad area even before all the sky scrapers were put up. It was just very industrial and residential but was never an especially dangerous area. There are the Queensbridge houses near the Queensborough bridge but that's not near the stop you guys are at. Even that area is safe at night since they have police directly out the train station since its been getting gentrified.

Overall, I wouldn't worry about safety where you guys are moving. Of course, danger can lurk even in the safest of places but for the most part, I wouldn't worry about safety being an issue. If it helps, I HIGHLY recommend checking out Gantry State and Hunters Points (which are both basically the same park on the same land) which is only about a 10 minute walk away from you guys are at. I'm pretty sure a trip to the park(s) will reassure you of the safety. Also, there's a MASSIVE rock climbing gym right near you guys.

Also, walk along Vernon Blvd and checkout some of the restaurants and bars they have around all of different variety which I am sure will please your taste buds. If you're into coffee check out Sweetleaf Cafe. There's two, one on Jackson ave and one that's a bit nicer and serves cocktails (if you're into that) right across from Gantry State Park on Center Blvd.

And since L.I.C. is in such close proximity to Manhattan, you'll be there in no time via subway 7,E,M,R,N and a nice trip to beautiful Greenpoint via G train and B62 bus. Or you can bike ride or walk over the Pulaski Bridge.

By now you can tell I love L.I.C and spend plenty of time there. Personally, its my favorite neighborhood since there's plenty to do if you know whats up but its also very quiet and low key if you don't want to be around the hectic hustle and bustle of Manhattan, which is like I mentioned, a stones throw away. Its also neighbors Greenpoint/North Williamsburg, another favorite area of mine which is more active and bustling but not far away from L.I.C. at all.

I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy your stay at L.I.C. and you and your husband should be just fine.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:47 PM

Thanks, Hefe and Lital!

Old 11-04-2014, 10:57 PM

10 posts, read 18,936 times
That area is soooo TRENDY now. Everyone wants to be there. It is getting a make over now and it'll only be a matter of time before all the stores go up. It is somewhat sketchy because when it gets dark at night, it seems a bit empty. Maybe 2015 will be the year all the stores go up in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: