Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 902 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 4 on the UpperWest side living in a Junior 4. We need a real 3 bedroom/2 bath for less than 700K. My husband makes a decent living but not enough to afford anything we've seen. I am so frustrated with the housing market in Manhattan. You either have to be rich or poor to live here. We make too much money for any of the homes that have income restrictions or have a lottery. I don't want to leave Manhattan. We pay our taxes, tithe, take advantage of all this city has to offer but I am afraid that the "ride" is over. Mayo DeBlasio talks about affordable housing and helping the middle class but I am the middle class and he is not helping me. I don't want a hand out just to stay in the city that I love. There should be a away for apartments to be set aside in these new or newly renovated buildings for people like us (and there are many) who earn more than the current income restrictions required for "affordable"housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 03:21 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poseidoncentaur409 View Post
We are a family of 4 on the UpperWest side living in a Junior 4. We need a real 3 bedroom/2 bath for less than 700K. My husband makes a decent living but not enough to afford anything we've seen. I am so frustrated with the housing market in Manhattan. You either have to be rich or poor to live here. We make too much money for any of the homes that have income restrictions or have a lottery. I don't want to leave Manhattan. We pay our taxes, tithe, take advantage of all this city has to offer but I am afraid that the "ride" is over. Mayo DeBlasio talks about affordable housing and helping the middle class but I am the middle class and he is not helping me. I don't want a hand out just to stay in the city that I love. There should be a away for apartments to be set aside in these new or newly renovated buildings for people like us (and there are many) who earn more than the current income restrictions required for "affordable"housing.
Move out of Manhattan.With a $700,000 budget you can find a nice big apartment or a house in any other borough or outside of the city.Doubt you'll get much sympathy here.Why would you subject your kids to living in such cramped quarters when it's obvious you could provide much more for them ? Because you must live in Manhattan?

Old 10-24-2014, 03:49 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Agree with Bluedog.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:30 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Manhattan is not good for families with kids, everything is overpriced and there aren't that many kid friendly places around without supervision.

It's a small island home to many multimillionaires that don't care about kids.

Do your family a favor and move out to the suburbs. $700k outside of NYC gets you a big backyard for you kids and pets, school bus that will pickup and drop off your kids, a real quiet neighborhood, and you can park your car outside anytime without meter maids.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:44 AM

275 posts, read 572,395 times
700k is barely enough for Brooklyn. Maybe if you want a condo/coop in Bay Ridge.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:13 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
People in your position (and better, for that matter) are buying in Harlem these days.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:27 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
I agree with what has been said above, but since you need decent schools, I would look to Queens or The Bronx, specifically Riverdale, Forest Hills, Bayside, Douglaston, Little Neck where the $700k budget would go further, unless you want to leave the city for Westchester. Manhattan and Brooklyn will be too expensive in decent school zones, since $700k in an area like Park Slope or Carroll Gardens is not going to offer anything significantly larger than what you would find on the UWS. You would be lucky to get a 2/1 in those areas, but a 3/2 is going to be too large for the budget in a prime area. It's difficult to find a decent 2BR in Manhattan under $1M, so a 3 with 2 full baths is going to be significantly more expensive in a decent area, and then add the premium for a decent school zone, and it's not realistic for that budget.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-25-2014, 11:04 AM

993 posts, read 1,385,478 times
Quote:
I am so frustrated with the housing market in Manhattan. You either have to be rich or poor to live here... I don't want a hand out just to stay in the city that I love.
The city you love has 5 boroughs. Subways link you and the kids to everything Manhattan offers, all for the same cost as travelling within Manhattan.

Do you homeschool now? To enrich your kids' educations, you could live very close to Prospect Park and the Brooklyn Children's Museum, the NY Botanical Gardens in the Bronx, Museum of the Moving Image in Queens, or Snug Harbor in Staten Island (I'm stretching, I don't know that borough well). Anytime you want something in Manhattan, the subways run day and night.

I'll agree that Manhattan is the Best Borough, but there are 4 others and it's all NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City