Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 09:41 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridacrazy01 View Post
When the time comes that the landlord does want his SS# and income and my rent is going to go up, how do I pay it then? Right now I told him that they want the information and that my rent will go up because of his income, he told me that he is not going to give it to me.
It seems to me that the very worst thing you could possibly do is to give management his SS# and income, in which case he has even MORE right to stay, as I assume his name would be added as a legal occupant. So in fact maybe he's doing you a favor by refusing to provide it.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:54 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,986 times
Give him a 3 day notice, then change the locks, leave his stuff outside and kick him out. The worst that will happen is he will get back into the house, if he calls the police. But he doesnt know that and more than likely won't call the cops. If the cops are called and he does get back in, then hire the lawyer!

Mail him certified letters stating he needs to leave the house and how you were supposed to leave 2 yrs ago. Have copies, receipts for your proof.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:33 AM

706 posts, read 1,042,118 times
So you live in a 2 bedroom apt? You have one room and your niece has the other room with her 2 kids. Where does this 30 year old dude sleeps and stores his stuff?

IMO, you and your sister had no business having or rearing kids. Your sis had 3 kids; she gave one away to you, she lost all hope in one (the 30 year old) and you gave no info on the other male.

How old is your niece? She has 2 kids and no job. SMH. Why doesn't she live with her mom who has a 2 bedroom apt?

To all, please have safe sex. Use a condom, birth control, etc. Also, look deep inside yourself and maybe come to terms that having kids is not for you.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:59 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
PLEASE start the court eviction process before you completely ruin a THIRD generation of your family. Your niece's children are learning that it's ok to be disrespectful of others and themselves, that's ok to be lazy and mean, that it's ok to steal and use other's belongings without permission, and that women are doormats. If you love these kids at all, you'll remove this horrible excuse of an "adult" from your home and NEVER EVER let someone treat you like a worthless doormat ever again.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:11 PM

30 posts, read 87,980 times
Default Comment for LifeSurfer

I came to these boards for assistance not criticism. I love my niece and her two sons. My great-nephews are two wonderful kids. My other 30-year old -nephew is a great adult. He's working, very responsible and just recently got married.

My niece and her two sons can't under any circumstances go live with her mother and her mother's boyfriend. My niece isn't the problem. Another issue, I live in a one-bedroom apartment, so it's 5 people living in a 1-bedroom.

Your remark that my sister and I shouldn't have had kids was uncalled for. Yes, my sister shouldn't have had kids, but you know nothing about me. I don't have kids of my own. My niece is like my daughter since I raised her since she was five.

I received opinions and advice and I thank everyone for them, but I don't need to be criticized. I guess my nephew is playing me for a sucker. I'm a patsy, but he has more rights than I do. If I change the locks and lock him out, he can call the cops, and he would. They would make me let him in. I can't afford to have the cops come to the building where I live.

Since the time that he set off the alarm on the roof, I'm sure the landlord is aware that he's there and it's my responsibility to get him to leave, but they haven't asked for his income yet. When they do, that is when I have a problem, because I can't afford the increase, and my nephew won't pay it.

Thank you all once again. I'll post again once I go to court.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:30 PM

Default Comment for FloridaCrazy01 lady!

You need to kick both of them out. 5 people living in 1 bedroom = no bueno!

Why can't they live with their birth mother who has a spare room? Where is the daddy of these kids (niece and nephew)? Why can't the functioning adult nephew take his bro or sis in?

To me, it seems as though you are rolling out your soul like a red carpet for people to walk on, spit on, etc.

Sorry dudette but i am speaking the truth. Your sis had no business having kids. She gave one up, she lost hope on one and not sure about the other one but luckily he made it.

The fact that your niece has 2 kids already (how old is she? Same father or 2 different baby daddies?) tells me that the vicious cycle (what happened to your sis) has repeated itself.

I will not have kids since i am not emotionally or mentally ready to have kids and probably never will. I use condoms (always).

Old 10-27-2014, 01:43 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
I don't know. Family comes first, even if they're lousy. I'm pretty sure you're not the only one in that situation.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:46 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,408 times
This dude screams junkie or crackhead. Dirty clothes,lives in own reality. He is like a roach and your guilt is his bait. Your kindness can never undo the harm your sister has done. You are just fooling yourself if you think he appreciates or deserves your help at this stage. The sister doesnt sound like a prize either. Please dont be offended but i have known several ppl in your circumstance that refuse to fix it. They get some satisfaction out of complaining and getting sympathy from others but absolutely refuse to do what is obvious to negate the problems. They thrive on misery. Irritates and confuses me to no end. Taking this jerk to court proves your not one of those. Same dilemma 2 yrs from now......well

Old 10-27-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
This dude screams junkie or crackhead. Dirty clothes,lives in own reality. He is like a roach and your guilt is his bait. Your kindness can never undo the harm your sister has done. You are just fooling yourself if you think he appreciates or deserves your help at this stage. The sister doesnt sound like a prize either. Please dont be offended but i have known several ppl in your circumstance that refuse to fix it. They get some satisfaction out of complaining and getting sympathy from others but absolutely refuse to do what is obvious to negate the problems. They thrive on misery. Irritates and confuses me to no end. Taking this jerk to court proves your not one of those. Same dilemma 2 yrs from now......well
Amen!!

Old 10-27-2014, 01:58 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times
You may try posting in the RENTING forum for better responses but here is an option or two.

1) Im not sure but he may be considered a month to month tenant and for that, you dont need to go to court- you could give him 30d notice to leave and then make him leave. (you may need a police officer there at the 30th day, show them the notice and they will make him leave- but print out a copy of your states tenant laws just in case- located at the top of the renting forum)

2) Hes not on the lease BUT if hes actually considered to be and its a year long lease, sadly you will have to "act" as a landlord and you will need to give him notice to leave and then notice of court. You MAY be able to get a poverty affidavit to help cover court costs, maybe even a low income lawyer to help. Usually a court covers the officer who kicks them out, but maybe that could be covered as well for low income. I could be wrong.

3) Do NOT change the locks, throw his stuff out, etc. That can back fire on you.

4) Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: