Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 08:19 AM

10 posts, read 18,666 times

Advertisements

I am from Houston. I am in NYC for my husband jobs (3 year rotation). It really depends on what type of lifestyle you want. 76k goes a long way in Houston. Also remember Houston is growing quickly and you will more likely have more job growth in Houston. You can also afford to live a better lifestyle in Houston. 105k in new York doesn't go very far. I worked at several oil and gas companies in Houston and the bonuses are great so you will probably be at more than 76k. No Houston isn't walk-able but it also depends on were you live.

But if you are looking for the "happening" city then new york is the place to be. There is always something to do in NYC. There will always be jobs in NYC. I have practiced real estate in both cities so I see the difference in quality of life also.

If you have any specific question let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 10:15 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
Quick Answer: If you lke nyc, stay. If you don't like nyc, move to H-town.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:08 PM

44 posts, read 40,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsaWilliams View Post
I am from Houston. I am in NYC for my husband jobs (3 year rotation). It really depends on what type of lifestyle you want. 76k goes a long way in Houston. Also remember Houston is growing quickly and you will more likely have more job growth in Houston. You can also afford to live a better lifestyle in Houston. 105k in new York doesn't go very far. I worked at several oil and gas companies in Houston and the bonuses are great so you will probably be at more than 76k. No Houston isn't walk-able but it also depends on were you live.

But if you are looking for the "happening" city then new york is the place to be. There is always something to do in NYC. There will always be jobs in NYC. I have practiced real estate in both cities so I see the difference in quality of life also.

If you have any specific question let me know.
Thanks so much AnsaWilliams.
May I have your email or Facebook? My deadline is gonna come one day later. Still struggling at this problems.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:35 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,538,745 times
There's big bugs here.

Seriously though, if it were me I'd do a wants and needs list. 76k will get you some pretty decent living out here, and the Midtown/Downtown area has lots of restaurants and social happenings going on. You will need a car here though, Metro isn't all that great (even though they're extending that trolley tram thing-y, it's no way and will NEVER be on par with NYC. I see a lot of young transplants zooming around the city in their little Audi's, living in those lofts and brand new $1200/mo. apts. downtown and they look pretty happy. I'm here in the Southwest part of town, paying $730 a month for a 710 sq. ft. 1 bedroom, w/d in the apartment electric, water and trash paid. I'm in the hood but it's decent, people get up and go to work every morning. I'm in the process of buying a home, something I would never be able to afford back home.

It's also hot here 8 months out of the year, i'm talking 90+ degrees and 90% humidity on the daily. If you train/run outside, as long as you do it year round your body will acclimate.

There really are big bugs here. 2"- 3" cockroaches and they FLY. They call them Palmetto bugs, but i'm from NYC so they're just big azz roaches to me. Don't leave your car windows down at night, just sayin'.

Given the choice though, i'd pick NYC. I've probably been here too long (12+years), and I want to get back to the culture, the vibrancy, the energy. But i'm mid 40's now so can't be jostling about like I used to do back in the day haha

Good luck OP, you're young, you can always come check it out for a few years, save up, get more experience, etc

Old 10-30-2014, 11:09 PM

44 posts, read 40,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
There's big bugs here.

Seriously though, if it were me I'd do a wants and needs list. 76k will get you some pretty decent living out here, and the Midtown/Downtown area has lots of restaurants and social happenings going on. You will need a car here though, Metro isn't all that great (even though they're extending that trolley tram thing-y, it's no way and will NEVER be on par with NYC. I see a lot of young transplants zooming around the city in their little Audi's, living in those lofts and brand new $1200/mo. apts. downtown and they look pretty happy. I'm here in the Southwest part of town, paying $730 a month for a 710 sq. ft. 1 bedroom, w/d in the apartment electric, water and trash paid. I'm in the hood but it's decent, people get up and go to work every morning. I'm in the process of buying a home, something I would never be able to afford back home.

It's also hot here 8 months out of the year, i'm talking 90+ degrees and 90% humidity on the daily. If you train/run outside, as long as you do it year round your body will acclimate.

There really are big bugs here. 2"- 3" cockroaches and they FLY. They call them Palmetto bugs, but i'm from NYC so they're just big azz roaches to me. Don't leave your car windows down at night, just sayin'.

Given the choice though, i'd pick NYC. I've probably been here too long (12+years), and I want to get back to the culture, the vibrancy, the energy. But i'm mid 40's now so can't be jostling about like I used to do back in the day haha

Good luck OP, you're young, you can always come check it out for a few years, save up, get more experience, etc
Thank you so much.
The houston company increased my pay to 85K.
But still I have already chosen NYC (Bonus added, 115K).

I thought about this a lot. Checked out a lot info. I do think I can live better in Houston. But that "live" only means housing. But life is not just that right? Whether you enjoy your work? How fun the people around you? How happy you will be? These questions should still be taken into consideration. I do thank this chance to make me think a lot what I have never thought before. I am also not sure NYC can be better for my above questions. But at least I think it will be. I am those who are full of energy and curious about the State since I just came here for 1 year. I would like to know more and have more fun with people here. Enjoy the culture.

I hate to say that it is true when you are gonna finish your education, you need to start to think about the life for a lot of aspects. Feeling myself being like a real adult recently haha. But still with an adventure and active mind!

Thanks for all the experienced info!

Old 10-31-2014, 05:20 AM

243 posts, read 467,247 times
The best for your resume and learning things would've been Mountain View, then Seattle, then NYC and Houston is the worst.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:57 AM

17 posts, read 22,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I would pick New York. Of course, I'm biased somewhat, since I live here, but all in all, New York is an unbeatable experience. On the $105k per year in NYC, you can afford an apartment that is very nice and in a good neighborhood. You figure your take home will be roughly equivalent at that salary of between 70-$75k or so, or about $6200-$6700 per month. With this salary, you could afford $2500-3000 per month (if you wanted to) on housing. However, there are some gorgeous and spacious apartments in my neighborhood and Morningside Heights between 1500-2000 per month.
Houston is large, but it's traffic, sprawl and car-central, whereas NYC is completely walkable, public transit friendly, and you won't have to worry about a car. Save that money each month for vacation!
Take the NYC offer and live here for a couple years, see what you think. You can always relocate.

Making $100k in NYC does not leave you with close to $6500 a month in take home. You are forgetting that there are insurance costs, state tax, city tax along with federal tax. Add 401k of hopefully at least 10% a year on to that and he will be taking home around $4500 a month. Metro pass will be another $120 a month, $ 70 cell phone, $100 cable and internet, $250 food, $50 electric, (varies greatly) gym, etc. While that is still a nice chunk of money, once his $2k to get a studio within the city is spent I am not sure I would use the term comfortable.

If I were you I would have a 5 year plan, bust your ass and get that NYC salary up there along with experience and then relocate to a lower cost of living area. NYC is great and will offer you a lot that other cities can't want to get out of it. You are young and driven so make some friends, have some fun nights and most importantly take advanatage of the location and advance your career. I'd argue at the end of your time in the city if you plan on relocating, that your experience will be more important than your Ivy league schooling.

Good luck to you and enjoy the ride!

Old 10-31-2014, 08:40 AM

110 posts, read 218,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeLiao1232 View Post
Hi, all. I am currently a master student at Columbia University in NYC
I have two offers now. One in Houston (76K per year) and one in NYC (105K per year)

Could anyone who lived in NYC and also in Houston before give me some suggestions which city I should go?

About everything: living condition, club, events and etc.

I lived in Houston for 3 months for internship so I know living there is super comfortable. You can easily get a big room, which is not gonna happen in Manhattan.

Any experienced could help me out, also based on my salary?
I vastly appreciate that!
I am bothered so much these days for this ****.

Thanks so much!
I'd say NYC. If you're already here and happy, might as well stick around. You could always consider Houston later once you're more established in your career and looking to settle down in a big house (if that's what your goal is).

NYC is more fun when you're young and just starting out. You'll be totally fine on that salary too. In Houston yes, things are cheaper - but you also have to consider that you will DEFINITELY need a car. Theres really no getting around it there. Everything is very spread apart and traffic is horrible!

I think it's a lot easier to make friends in NYC too. In TX it seems that all most people are worried about it getting married and having kids. BORING!

I'm from TX, so I know this is true. I've lived in NYC for almost 10 years now and never looked back. Guess it all really just depends on what kind of lifestyle you're looking for though.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:25 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,538,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeLiao1232 View Post
Thank you so much.
The houston company increased my pay to 85K.
But still I have already chosen NYC (Bonus added, 115K).
Hey OP pass that great job along to me LOL

good luck though and have fun I wish I could go back!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City