Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 03:29 PM

36 posts, read 57,002 times

Advertisements

Moving to NY from DC and want to get your opinions about owning cars in Astoria queens or LIC

Is it worth to have a car considering the cost and trouble?

My new job is near grand central station and will be using metro for the commute

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 03:47 PM

43,641 posts, read 44,368,561 times
I think it depends on where you live in these areas.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:54 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,232,605 times
I work in LIC and I can tell you, parking is a major hassle. You have the E, M, G and the 7 trains. Matter of fact, 2 of my co-workers live in the area; one has a car and has to garage it (it's not cheap) and the other doesn't. If she needs a car she just rents one as needed.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:20 PM

197 posts, read 517,470 times
I have a car and I only use it like once a month if I have to make a trip out of state. Don't get one if you live in Astoria or LIC, too much hassle and $$

Old 10-29-2014, 05:05 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,625 times
NO. Q and N in Astoria, 7, E, M (goes to L.I.C and Astoria/Steinway, R (Goes to Steinway too), G (doesn't go into Manhattan but still there) in L.I.C. You have many options.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:53 PM

118 posts, read 201,667 times
My 2 cents as some who just moved to Sunnyside Queens from the UES. If you can afford to live in Manhattan, do it! Even if you live right across the river in LIC, it's A) not Manhattan and often the 7 doesn't work on weekends and B) there is nothing like being in the city.

If you are going to be working around Grand Central either an apartment in Midtown, the UES, or possibly a bit lower (Murray Hill...) would be your best bet.

Also, I would recommend a top-floor and / or corner apartment if you can... also 1920's construction tends to be more soundproof than the stuff built in the 1940s. New construction is great because it has concrete floors.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:55 PM

5,117 posts, read 4,964,964 times
it is nice to have a car if you have small kids so they can avoid the filthy and crowded subway while going to kids activities. otherwise, you are much better off for not having a car. the cost and hassel for keeping a car in nyc outweighs the benefit by a ton.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:09 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,005 times
I'm in a different borough, and never expected to keep my older sedan when I moved to NYC. But, surprisingly, a parking spot came with this property on front lawn, so I didn't ditch the car as planned. It's rare, but not impossible, in boroughs to find low-rise neighborhoods with on-property parking like this, for "free" (built into the rent cost) or to rent from the landlord for less than a commercial lot.

Mostly I use the MTA subways and buses, so don't move the car all week. When I do, I'm grateful not to pay cabs for these kinds of activities:

- heavy grocery shopping every 2-3 weeks for staples
- rounding up shelves and bulky hardware (like curtain rods) to set up the new place
- saving delivery fees when buying ready-to-assemble retail furniture, or used Craigslist items
- driving to visit out-of-town to relatives in NYMetro area or cities in the Northeast for weddings and holiday weekends
- picking up the women in our household when they come home by subway after midnight (unnecessary in most of Astoria or LIC, I'd say).

If I had to cope with alternate street parking twice weekly, as is true on our block, I'd likely sell it. However, a built-in parking spot solved the worst part, namely reparking the car late-nights. So I kept it, very different than planned.

It'd be wiser economically to sell it, though.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 10-29-2014 at 09:34 PM..

Old 10-30-2014, 05:06 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,862,321 times
Owning a car would be more feasible in most of Astoria compared to most of LIC but it would be not be recommended for either neighborhood, especially if you're working by Grand Central.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:15 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
it is nice to have a car if you have small kids so they can avoid the filthy and crowded subway while going to kids activities. otherwise, you are much better off for not having a car. the cost and hassel for keeping a car in nyc outweighs the benefit by a ton.
I've been taking the subway since I was little, and I loved it. It's part of the reason I'm studying to be a transportation engineer right now. It's a good way to teach kids important skills like how to read a map and using it to figure out how to get home, and kids love the different sounds (the clacking of the rails, the closing of the doors, even the screeching of the flanges to a certain extent)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: