Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 11:14 PM

28 posts, read 26,358 times

Advertisements

@wizardofmoz I am seriously thinking about selling, but having had a car since 16 it is such a hard decision to make. I dont have the access to just get up go like I once had, well in NYC the train is always accessible I guess. It is just a new thing to me. I may keep it down here with my parents until I get a job, then think about bringing it up. Thank you for your advice. I definitely do not plan to eat out and go out like that until I have a job. I am also not opposed to getting a job that make a little less. If I can get a job making what I made down here I will be ok. I am pretty good at making a dollar stretch.

@livingsinglenyc you bring up great points. I am just torn....I am have 4 more months so i have a lot of thinking to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 11:29 PM

10 posts, read 18,938 times
Many people i work with said they want to move to the ATL for cheap rent. Many are struggling to make ends meet in NYC and if you are not making 100K and above, i'd say stay where you are because you'll need 100K to live comfortably this means all salary based and you owe no debt on credit cards and school loans. 100K also means living comfortably in a non luxury high rise because a 1 bedroom luxury high rise in Queens charges around $2,700.00 and the prices keep going up as the floor gets higher and higher.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:02 PM

Earlier someone said that NYC is extremely segregated. Could someone elaborate on that?

Old 11-05-2014, 05:09 PM

913 posts, read 2,273,198 times
NYC is the most segregated city in the world. Everything going forward is an example because this forum loves to throw the R word (racist) around when it's uncalled for and the furthest thing from it.

For example, if you have money and you are of a certain shade of light colors, you live in certain neighborhood. For minorities, everyone knows they live on 90th street and Broadway in Manhattan all the way uptown. The neighborhoods are dramatically different. The uptown areas no longer have luxury high rise condos with a doorman, the neighborhood feels less safe, and the list goes on and on.

It is very noticeable in NYC. To be clear, if you're a certain color ypu live on 90th street and below and for minorities they are always uptown and above and those are usually the more dangerous neighborhoods. There's no Bloomingdale's or Saks 5th Ave once you get uptown, but they're are a lot of 99 cent stores.

It is sad, but the segregation is so in your face you can't help avoid it no matter how hard you try and people talk about this everyday.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:01 PM

@q41apartments I moreso mean amongst people in the same area. Like here in Atlanta as far as night life and clubs you have to choose between hanging around white people or black people. I enjoy hanging around all people. is it like that in Ny too?

Old 11-05-2014, 06:28 PM

566 posts, read 504,082 times
Forget about street parking in NYC; you dont need a car. It's subways and buses all the way baby!
$3k wont last too long, get a job before coming to Brooklyn. As for the hoods, hard to say, you do not want to "experience" the nonesense you see on TV. Trust me, some folks in NYC wont hesitate to beat, rob, and shoot you if you dont belong.
Check out crime stats of the hoods, and see where you want to live and work.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:41 PM

I will be living with my friend in bed-stuy. He said that he has never had any issues so I am keeping my fingers cross. I am pretty good at watching my back and I went to an HBCU which was in the "hood" so I am always aware of my surroundings. I dont plan on being anywhere ALONE at night like that. My friend stay like a 30 second walk from the train station. Im not gonna lie I am scared S***LESS because its new and NY is alot rougher than the south. But I am looking forward to the change.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:31 PM

116 posts, read 145,938 times
If you leave your car behind at your parents house, and you decide you absolutely need it after a few months, you can have them pack it full of your stuff at home and ship it to you. Give it a go without it for a bit to try out, you may be surprised at how easy it is to not have it.

As for segregation, in my daily life in NYC I interact with all types of people - across all factors socio-economic-race. Some neighborhoods have residents that are in a higher concentration but since people for the most part are moving around the city constantly you will be able to have friends across all factors.

Here is a map that shows the % breakdown of residents per neighborhood (it's a bit dated at 2010, but you can toggle to 2000 to see changes which is cool). But don't let this color your opinion or limit options - I currently live in a moderately mixed area, but am moving to a neighborhood where I will be a minority across a few factors. Guess what - not once have I encountered anyone that acted like I didn't belong (even though it has been insinuated on this board that it would happen!). Standard rule - don't be a jerk, and people probably won't be a jerk to you!

Making Neighborhoods Map | CHPC New York

Old 11-05-2014, 09:56 PM

Thank you @mattie180 I think I will leave my car down here for a while then if i need it I will have them bring it up here.

I am genuinely a nice and upbeat person. I dont want to be too nice and get taken advantage. Im like the typical nice southern guy.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:17 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Brooklyn has the highest insurance rates in the city, so you may want to look into the insurance premiums before relocating with your vehicle. The city publishes a calendar with scheduled alternate side days at the beginning of the year, well, prior to the start of a new year, but here's the link for 2014: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/download...p-calendar.pdf , with the only exceptions being inclement weather or other emergencies when ASP is suspended.

If you do not need a vehicle in the winter, you should leave it in Atlanta, or factor the cost of a garage as parking it on the street will be a big hassle, in addition to random scrapes, bumps, and acts of vandalism that is experienced in many areas on the street. Full disclosure, I do drive in the city, and keep a car in the city, too, but it's garaged, and I have always had a car since I was sixteen, so I will not be without one.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: