Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 12:35 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times

Advertisements

Fantastic piece, in my opinion

Mediocrity Is the New Black: Penny Arcade On Making It in ‘The Big Cupcake’
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 12:39 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
I stopped reading at "The performance artist Penny Arcade..."

Old 11-01-2014, 02:46 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Great article and very on the money.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:30 PM

19,047 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Being able to describe yourself with a word other than "artist" goes a long way towards being able to survive, well, anywhere. Losers.

But this, wow, now this is just pure awesome:

Quote:
America has always resented the freedom that people in New York had compared to the rest of the country.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:39 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
New York became part of America. That's what happened. When you grow up here you don't realize what the rest of America is really like.

Just imagine what people are running from in other cities ! If NYC is ground zero for cultural liberty and freedom in 2014 then you know something is wrong.

I grew up here during the 70's and 80's. I am completely at a loss trying to make sense of this NYC.

It's all man made. People WANT it to be like this so there is no stopping it.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:49 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
I have to say that NYC is a big cupcake and no longer the big apple like what it used to be. Thank goodness the cupcake fad starting with sex and the city is dying out. And to be honest I think the transplants who only make up probably about 10% of the cities population has brought so much cultural change into the city that the city is a polar opposite of what it used to be in terms of culture. People come to NYC for education, for culture, and so forth, but back in the day they left home, home and did not bring home to NYC, but these days transients bring middle picket white fence America with them changing the cities atmosphere like never before. NYC has always had a bohemian artist community, much of it grew in the East Village after WW2 which exploded from beatniks, hippies, punks, goth, grunge and so on with todays hipsters. Gentrification of the East Village forced artists to move to Brooklyn in Williamsburg and the processed rinsed and repeats like it did a generation ago. My thing is this that the back to the city movement seems to be a generational thing on millenials who come from some suburb who want to move to legacy cities.

I agree with the above, that NYC has become part of America. and NYC being ground zero of cultural liberty and freedom is a joke. If anything NYC is the capital of fakes, pretentiousness, shallowness, in your face snobbery and nannynism.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:25 AM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
Translation: NYC is not what I want it to be, so it over. Boo plunkin' hoo. Do let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:11 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,537 times
I understand the complaints about the changes, but anyone who can say "New York City is boring" with a straight face is either a shut-in or a boring person.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:14 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
New York became part of America. That's what happened. When you grow up here you don't realize what the rest of America is really like.

Just imagine what people are running from in other cities ! If NYC is ground zero for cultural liberty and freedom in 2014 then you know something is wrong.

I grew up here during the 70's and 80's. I am completely at a loss trying to make sense of this NYC.
I agree and my experience as well. Growing up, I spent time here and there in other areas and therefore have a point of comparison.

New York is now very much like what the rest of America always was.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:53 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
I agree and my experience as well. Growing up, I spent time here and there in other areas and therefore have a point of comparison.

New York is now very much like what the rest of America always was.
What baffles me is that just a small percentage of people who are not from NYC, and even those who are from NYC, go to some college far and away and become culturally Americanized, these folks come back or come to NYC and change the whole entire atmosphere from the ground up. I read an pdf about a report called the young and the restless on how college educated folks were able to change entire landscapes of many American cities.

http://cityobservatory.org/wp-conten...port-Final.pdf

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 11-02-2014 at 06:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City