Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 06:29 PM

21 posts, read 31,446 times

Advertisements

Hello All - I just got a ticket for Insp sticker expired. Totally my bad and I'm going to pay it. But all the inspection stations are now closed being that it's sat night and Sunday they're all closed too! haha on me.

So I use public parking. Does that mean i'm now set up to get multiple tickets because i can't get this done in the next 24 hours? I've already called in and I'm set to take care of this Monday morning.

Like I said I'm going to pay the first one. Can I fight the ones that follow it?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 08:21 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,332 times
If you get a second ticket, just go online and plead not guilty. There will be a form where you can explain why you shouldn't have been given the ticket and you can also upload any evidence. Upload an image of the first ticket and explain that no inspection stations were open in between the time stamp on the first ticket and the second ticket.

That should be enough to get it dismissed.

I got a ticket once for no registration when I forgot to put my 10 day temporary registration paperwork on my dashboard. I scanned a copy of it and uploaded it as previously mentioned, and the ticket was dismissed.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:00 PM

196 posts, read 425,567 times
Not all inspection stations are closed on Sunday good luck on not paying that ticket

Old 11-01-2014, 10:32 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
You could try a place like http://www.pepboys.com/ or a Sears Auto Center, which might be more likely to be open Sundays than the smaller businesses. I have not been to either place so I don't know if they are any good. You do have to be careful not to go to a scam place for inspection. I have heard horror stories about people bringing their car in for a simple inspection and then being told they are not going to pass because something is wrong with it "and we can fix it for $x". So maybe in fact you'd just be better off waiting and going to your regular place.

I would imagine there are fewer meter maids (or whatever they are called) giving out tickets on Sundays because the meters are not in effect, so maybe you will get lucky and not get another ticket.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:52 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
You might get a second ticket and you can try to fight it but you still might have to pay it.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:19 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,460,687 times
Go out to Queens. Drive around on 21st street (behind the 59th St bridge and north from there), and along and to the north of Northern Blvd. You'll find any number of open service facilities (the taxi business never sleeps.) One of them will be able to do your inspection.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:04 PM

21 posts, read 31,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Go out to Queens. Drive around on 21st street (behind the 59th St bridge and north from there), and along and to the north of Northern Blvd. You'll find any number of open service facilities (the taxi business never sleeps.) One of them will be able to do your inspection.
yeah you know i did that very thing this morning. I went to Punjab Auto Repair on 21st just off of 33rd road. the whole thing took 10 minutes. And they're open 24 hours a day so whatever. This is what happens when i don't own a car for years then buy one and act like it's the 1990's...anyway thanks for everyone's help except the person who said good luck getting out of the ticket because you didn't help at all that was just a snarky comment

Old 11-02-2014, 01:36 PM

624 posts, read 982,113 times
I received an inspection ticket on the 5th of the month after expiration on a week day at 1AM because I had just forgotten to do it.

I went that morning before work and got inspected, and then I pleaded not guilty online. I submitted a picture of my new inspection certificate and a copy of the receipt. I told them the truth that I had forgotten to do it and did it immediately after receiving the ticket. I was asking for leniency. It worked and they let me off without a ticket.

I can't guarantee it will work for you but its worth a shot.

Last edited by fmatthew5876; 11-02-2014 at 01:44 PM..

Old 11-03-2014, 10:19 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,460,687 times
Once upon a time, you could send in the ticket, with a copy of the inspection report, and they'd knock $20 off the ticket. They've stopped doing this (ask me how I know this ).

Edit: I just saw Mathew's post. I've never known them to completely wave the fine when you show them the inspections. Maybe this is a new thing.

But at least you won't get another one for a year. I usually play a semi-dangerous game of getting the car inspected on the first of the month after it expires. This has the effect of giving me thirteen months between inspections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr900 View Post
yeah you know i did that very thing this morning. I went to Punjab Auto Repair on 21st just off of 33rd road. the whole thing took 10 minutes. And they're open 24 hours a day so whatever. This is what happens when i don't own a car for years then buy one and act like it's the 1990's...anyway thanks for everyone's help except the person who said good luck getting out of the ticket because you didn't help at all that was just a snarky comment

Old 07-07-2016, 01:35 AM

2 posts, read 4,410 times
I was on my way to get my car inspection done and stopped at my bank's ATM for no more than 4 minutes. As soon as I walked out the bank I saw my car and a traffic cop walking away from it... I also saw the nice white ticket and it orange envelope on wipers. I walked up to cop and told her I'm was on my way to get the inspection down but had to stop at the bank for cash to pay & tip the guys at the body shop. Her first response was that the ticket has been issued and in the system, and she can't erase it. I asked her if there was anything I could, she said if I was in fact en route to the body shop to get my car inspected, that I should please not guilty to the ticket and submit a written statement and picture of the registration sticker.

Has anyone gotten a expired registration ticket dismissed because either you had the new inspection sticker but just hadn't put it up? Or maybe you were on your way to the appt to get the inspection done?

If you have, please tell me about it. I'm a novice at getting tickets. But it just seems crazy I got the ticket less than 6 blocks of the body shop I was going to. Help please. Ty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City