Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 04:52 PM

3 posts, read 2,807 times

Advertisements

Please bare with me on this one.

I currently live at home with my mother under the section 8 program. As of today I was offered a job well above the eligibility mark which I plan to accept. I look forward to moving out of the apartment with roommates but I need about a month or two in order to save enough money to move out. My mom is pretty terrified that in those two months that I am working in order to move out she will lose her section 8 housing.

If I work for two months and then move out, will my mother be able to retain her section 8 or will she completely lose it? If you need any additional information please indicate below.

Thank you for reading and for your help in advanced!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 04:54 PM

6,293 posts, read 10,546,155 times
She should ask her case worker what the procedure is and how to proceed.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:59 PM

3 posts, read 2,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
She should ask her case worker what the procedure is and how to proceed.
I'll definitely try and convince her to talk to her case worker, she is just extremely paranoid that once she mentions my new income it is over for her which is why I turned to this forum.

Hard to combat paranoia.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:51 PM

7,876 posts, read 7,776,027 times
Have to talk to the worker, and explain the situation. Once you leave, you have to provide proof that you've left your mothers house. Your worker will ask you for your lease, so prepare to hand it over.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:57 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,424,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBoCo View Post
Please bare with me on this one.

I currently live at home with my mother under the section 8 program. As of today I was offered a job well above the eligibility mark which I plan to accept. I look forward to moving out of the apartment with roommates but I need about a month or two in order to save enough money to move out. My mom is pretty terrified that in those two months that I am working in order to move out she will lose her section 8 housing.

If I work for two months and then move out, will my mother be able to retain her section 8 or will she completely lose it? If you need any additional information please indicate below.

Thank you for reading and for your help in advanced!
You usually have to be "zero HAP" (i.e. the tenant earning so much money that they are responsible for the entire rent) for six months before they terminate you. If they do terminate her, she can always request a fair hearing. If you are going to be leaving anyway and her annual re-examination is not for a while, just don't report the new income. By the time they do the income verification, you will already have been deleted from the household and thus your Social Security Number wouldn't be checked.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:04 PM

913 posts, read 2,266,824 times
Why not just NOT inform anyone?

I'm sure the rent for 1 person is very affordable so why bother causing yourself all this heartache by telling them you're moving?

Old 11-04-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
Why not just NOT inform anyone?

I'm sure the rent for 1 person is very affordable so why bother causing yourself all this heartache by telling them you're moving?
Section 8 verifies any income reported to the IRS. If you get paid "under the table" you can avoid reporting income. If you have a legit job though and you fail to tell them, they will find out from the IRS, and then you get slapped with a repayment agreement and have to send money to the housing authority each month.

But as I said, as long as the OP leaves before his/her mother's re-examination, s/he should be OK.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:21 PM

But I'm sure the rent is soooooo cheap that the mother wouldn't have a problem paying 100.00 a month or however cheap and affordable the rent is. How can someone not be able to pay such a low amount in rent? The OP makes it seem like the mother is destitute and can't afford a thing. That's the way it comes off to me.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
But I'm sure the rent is soooooo cheap that the mother wouldn't have a problem paying 100.00 a month or however cheap and affordable the rent is. How can someone not be able to pay such a low amount in rent? The OP makes it seem like the mother is destitute and can't afford a thing. That's the way it comes off to me.
With a section 8 voucher, your tenant share depends on your income. The only way they don't count your kids' income is if your kid is a full-time student. So if the kid suddenly gets a job, her rent would go up and may in fact be the full rent.

OP, private message me if you were confused by my above post.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:37 PM

Well...since the child is moving out. ..I'm sure the mother is only liable for what her salary allows her to pay so I'm sure they'll adjust the rent to meet her income. I'm sure it's not that serious and I doubt they'd force her our based on her income situation.

I appreciate you clarifying though. Is section 8 the only housing that adjust according to salary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City