Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 10:46 PM

8,102 posts, read 6,741,236 times

Advertisements

BTW I just picked up a Glock 9 with a 17 round mag and 1 up the pipe. It's sweet, man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 11:39 PM

19,010 posts, read 13,918,942 times
Glocks are great. They can be considered pedestrian in some ways, but they do what you need them to do every time with no frills. Plus, the magazines are mostly all interchangeable.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:35 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,942,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
Oh good grief the New York of today is transplants from other states who come to pursue their dream of calling themselves a New Yorker when in fact they weren't even born there in the first place.

The real New York died along time ago, it does nothing for me personally nor never really has and I was born and raised an hour north of it.

NYC was once a great city filled with different types of folks, blue-collar, white-collar, foreigners, everyone enjoyed the city and what it had to offer. Gentrification and progressive liberalism destroyed what was once the worlds greatest city.
Thank the lord it became a transplant magnet, because what you call the real New York was full of filth and crap. Bloomberg has done wonders for the city. Haters are gonna hate because they got priced out of the core of the city, Manhattan.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:16 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,386,055 times
The difference between my New York and your New York is my New York was real crap, your New York is fake and phony crap.

Manhattan is a wonderful city to see, there is no doubt about that but all those who praise gentrification should realize that the soul of three city, the small business owners of real Italian restaurants, Jewish delis, bicycle shops, and old school neighborhoods with culture and history become jeaopordized with new development, gentrification, and artificially inflated rents. It's the same as someone wanting to build a apartment complex and shopping on the fields of Gettysburg. Nobody really seems to appreciate historic preservation or American history, the younger folks want new and glittery.

Finally I'm not an NYC hater, I was born and raised an hour north of it and although enjoyed my visits into the city, Yankee Stadium, the Bronx Zoo, I never had a desire to live in the city nor as a technical guy never needed the city for employment. Skilled technicians can find work anywhere.

I understand why the transplants come, young, educated, looking for good jobs, makes sense. But instead of trying to change it why not embrace it for what it is, take the opportunity to explore a new city, and leave it how you found it when you go. Let's be honest nobody really stays in NYC forever, they come to jump start careers and when it's time to start families they're gone. These people have no interest in community.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:29 AM

15,818 posts, read 14,453,901 times
This is ridiculous. You're "old New York" was built by the last generation of transplants. NYC has been a city of transplants for most of it's existance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
The difference between my New York and your New York is my New York was real crap, your New York is fake and phony crap.
People tend to label anything in NYC they don't like as transplant, phoney, or, horror of horrors middle American.
Quote:
Manhattan is a wonderful city to see, there is no doubt about that but all those who praise gentrification should realize that the soul of three city, the small business owners of real Italian restaurants, Jewish delis, bicycle shops, and old school neighborhoods with culture and history become jeaopordized with new development, gentrification, and artificially inflated rents. It's the same as someone wanting to build a apartment complex and shopping on the fields of Gettysburg. Nobody really seems to appreciate historic preservation or American history, the younger folks want new and glittery.
Why should the last generation of businesses be given any advantage over the next generation? A lot of people just don't like change. Too damn bad. Get over it.
Quote:

Finally I'm not an NYC hater, I was born and raised an hour north of it and although enjoyed my visits into the city, Yankee Stadium, the Bronx Zoo, I never had a desire to live in the city nor as a technical guy never needed the city for employment. Skilled technicians can find work anywhere.

I understand why the transplants come, young, educated, looking for good jobs, makes sense. But instead of trying to change it why not embrace it for what it is, take the opportunity to explore a new city, and leave it how you found it when you go. Let's be honest nobody really stays in NYC forever, they come to jump start careers and when it's time to start families they're gone. These people have no interest in community.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Thank the lord it became a transplant magnet, because what you call the real New York was full of filth and crap. Bloomberg has done wonders for the city. Haters are gonna hate because they got priced out of the core of the city, Manhattan.
I couldn't agree more. Anyone who lived through the 70's, 80's and 90's and is against gentrification is either a fool or can't afford to live here.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:10 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,671,849 times
Transplants come here because big box companies like Walmart has killed the local businesses in their states and town which result in the loss of jobs and there are jobs here because there exist one of the biggest scams in the country called Wall street.'

Most transplants come here only to work for places like Starbucks or wait tables for perhaps $2-5/hr more than what they pay down south.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:10 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,386,055 times
All I can say is based on this pages posted comments the pride and heritage of old New York is surely dead. I thank the lord that I moved out of the state of New York in 96. Had I never got orders to deploy I might still be there arguing with the Millenials in person instead of on a forum.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:15 PM

My 4 deployments taught me that living in a crap-hole sucks, so I choose the new NY every day of the week.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:22 PM

106,530 posts, read 108,647,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
BTW I just picked up a Glock 9 with a 17 round mag and 1 up the pipe. It's sweet, man.
If you live in ny that 17 rd mag is not legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City