Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 05:58 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times

Advertisements

Never heard of him.
Did he win?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 11:10 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,308,499 times
I am a proud Republican and crossed party lines twice to vote for first Mike Mcmahan whom I got to know over the years and like very much, and than the election prior I voted for Murphy. I could not in good conscious vote for that carpet bagger son of a ***** Grimm...until this election when Sollazzo and Gulino dragged this idiot Reechia out of Brooklyn to run. The guy is a total disaster and had no business being on a national stage, and frankly wasn't a good city councilman. He was a puppet for higher ups. total disgrace.

My Cousin Dan always told me sometimes you have to hold your nose and pull the lever to vote for a guy who you know is terrible so the worst guy won't get elected. This is what I did on Tuesday.

Grimm's re-election wasn't an endorsement for him as much as it was a condemnation of democrats in general. Plus I would rather Grimm be in office, have to step down if he goes to prison and have a special election in which Republicans will have a better shot at retaining the seat. Besides, If Reechia was the best the Dems had to offer (and apparently it is) then retaining the seat might prove more easy to do.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:39 AM

579 posts, read 945,817 times
They say you get the government you deserve. In the case of Grimm supporters, this is true.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:17 PM

346 posts, read 383,479 times
Default Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
I am a proud Republican and crossed party lines twice to vote for first Mike Mcmahan whom I got to know over the years and like very much, and than the election prior I voted for Murphy. I could not in good conscious vote for that carpet bagger son of a ***** Grimm...until this election when Sollazzo and Gulino dragged this idiot Reechia out of Brooklyn to run. The guy is a total disaster and had no business being on a national stage, and frankly wasn't a good city councilman. He was a puppet for higher ups. total disgrace.

My Cousin Dan always told me sometimes you have to hold your nose and pull the lever to vote for a guy who you know is terrible so the worst guy won't get elected. This is what I did on Tuesday.

Grimm's re-election wasn't an endorsement for him as much as it was a condemnation of democrats in general. Plus I would rather Grimm be in office, have to step down if he goes to prison and have a special election in which Republicans will have a better shot at retaining the seat. Besides, If Reechia was the best the Dems had to offer (and apparently it is) then retaining the seat might prove more easy to do.
I too voted for Grimm even though I didnt want to. I just could not bring myself to vote for Recchia.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:55 PM

32 posts, read 59,083 times
Im a proud Democrat who was an independent for years and have relied on the Cousin Dan advice to get through most elections, including this one. And only because NY governor is too important to stay home. In NYC, it's easier to line-cross locally since we don't have a lot of moral conservatives here.

Saw Reechia on tv next to Chuck Schumer, who looked downright embarrassed to be there--and we all know how much he loves a camera.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:14 PM

128 posts, read 201,784 times
No children? hmhmm

Old 11-08-2014, 07:40 PM

518 posts, read 825,984 times
If the Dems ran someone who didn't look like he was launching a new TV sitcom about a clueless politician the outcome might have been different. They apparently thought the Italian surname was all they needed in Staten Island
Look at this TV ad. The end is hilarious with the canned crowd cheers.

Other Places To Be - YouTube

Old 11-08-2014, 07:40 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,308,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDNYC View Post
Im a proud Democrat who was an independent for years and have relied on the Cousin Dan advice to get through most elections, including this one. And only because NY governor is too important to stay home. In NYC, it's easier to line-cross locally since we don't have a lot of moral conservatives here.

Saw Reechia on tv next to Chuck Schumer, who looked downright embarrassed to be there--and we all know how much he loves a camera.
I'm pretty much on the same page as you. I have in the past on the local and national level crossed party lines if I felt the person running was genuinely a better candidate. I did this in 96 when I voted fro Clinton over Dole, but said to myself as I pulled the lever for Clinton "is this the best my Country has to offer".

I am also not ashamed to admit that I voted for Gore on 2000, because I thought Bush was an idiot. It turns out after 9/11 we were better off with Bush in office, at least he had 41 to lean on. In 04' I voted for Bush, I thought Kerry was weak. I try to go whatever way is best for the Country.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:23 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:

My Cousin Dan always told me sometimes you have to hold your nose and pull
the lever to vote for a guy who you know is terrible so the worst guy won't get
elected. This is what I did on Tuesday.
That's pretty much what U.S. elections have been since the founding of the Republic. Eventually one's nose begins to ache.
Good people do not run for office. People need to grovel for money to be elected and in the process sell their souls.
I got tired of "the lesser of two evils" because the result will always be evil.

It would have been nice to live in a democracy, if any have existed since Athens. Perhaps Democracy would be a novel theme for a Utopian Sci-Fi novel?

Old 11-14-2014, 08:04 PM

32 posts, read 59,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
That's pretty much what U.S. elections have been since the founding of the Republic. Eventually one's nose begins to ache.
Good people do not run for office. People need to grovel for money to be elected and in the process sell their souls.
I got tired of "the lesser of two evils" because the result will always be evil.

It would have been nice to live in a democracy, if any have existed since Athens. Perhaps Democracy would be a novel theme for a Utopian Sci-Fi novel?
Maybe, but my parents were children of immigrants, and my mother drove me to city hall before I went away to college just to make sure I was registered for an absentee Presidential ballot. "This family votes." So I do my part. I have only cast protest votes twice -- the last during Bloomie's third term.

I was insulted by Cuomo's "Women's Equality Party" card. In NY, really? Most of us who work for the city haven't had a new contract in years, and I'm unlikely to get a decent deal with Cuomo and a new Senate tugging the city's purse strings. The last increase was a little over 1% and that was before the recession. I'm a feminist, but I can't eat principles, man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City