Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 04:50 PM

108 posts, read 81,541 times

Advertisements

I offered someone 16k cash upfront for a full year leash in order to avoid the background checks or credit requirement which most immigrants wont have. As expected I still got rejected despite offering a full year coverage In one of the hot, but not so fancy neighborhoods of Brooklyn where many of these immigrants resides.

At this rate Bronx and East NY will become the most overcrowded area of NYC unless those immigrants have an excellent credit score and make more than 80k a year on record.

Last edited by SaltyPenguin; 11-07-2014 at 04:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 05:35 PM

913 posts, read 2,272,326 times
You can always move to Kings Highway where the landlords take cash and don't do credit checks.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:15 PM

725 posts, read 804,916 times
The hypocrisy of these non european immigrants who complain that gentrification is driving them out of those neighborhoods is that they themselves drove out the original inhabitants of those neighborhoods and they are complaining that the same thing is happening to them. The difference is gentrification is actually improving the quality/safety of an area while they ruined the quality of the area.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:52 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
I wouldn't accept your offer either.

When you accept a tenant who pays a full year upfront, it raises its own set of problems. It'll make an eviction proceeding even harder than it already is.

Just the fact that you're trying to avoid a background check is enough to make me pass on you as a tenant.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
I wouldn't accept your offer either.

When you accept a tenant who pays a full year upfront, it raises its own set of problems. It'll make an eviction proceeding even harder than it already is.

Just the fact that you're trying to avoid a background check is enough to make me pass on you as a tenant.
Well I'm glad you missed the entire point of this thread, but thanks again for subjectifying it.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:48 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyPenguin View Post
Well I'm glad you missed the entire point of this thread, but thanks again for subjectifying it.
So the point of the thread that you think that landlords should be forced to change their practices and not be able to require their tenants to make a certain income or have a certain credit score?

Good luck with that. If that's not the point of the thread, please clarify.

Also, if you haven't looked around lately, there are recent immigrants living all over the place, in all the boroughs, except maybe Manhattan and tony Brooklyn (areas that many non-immigrants can't afford either).

Maybe this is the point of the thread:

Old 11-09-2014, 09:15 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,514 times
When you say immigrant, are you talking legal immigrant or illegal immigrant? I wouldn't rent to an illegal immigrant with money upfront. Why would I help someone break the law? If they don't follow the law simply coming into this country, what makes me think they would follow any other law or honor other legal documents? Or how about when nine illegal family members show up and won't leave after the year lease?

Old 11-09-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
So the point of the thread that you think that landlords should be forced to change their practices and not be able to require their tenants to make a certain income or have a certain credit score?

Good luck with that. If that's not the point of the thread, please clarify.

Also, if you haven't looked around lately, there are recent immigrants living all over the place, in all the boroughs, except maybe Manhattan and tony Brooklyn (areas that many non-immigrants can't afford either).

Maybe this is the point of the thread:
Not to long ago tenants in Brooklyn couldve gone up to a lanlord, show proof of income, and get a place.

Now tell me,I Found an Apartment in NYC - Diary of A Mad Freelancer what exactly has changed? the perfect credit score requirement along with the 80k salary needed to rent an apartment that has the same dimensions as the closet of an entire house you could rent in Austin for the same the price, or being able to get a place to live as long as youre making money?

What's going to be next? A mandatory letter of recommendation from your boss?

Old 11-09-2014, 03:59 PM

620 posts, read 1,072,599 times
Give up on Brooklyn for now . ... the market is over valued and it will get adjusted to " reality" if you know what I mean at some point. I have time on my hands so I will wait until its a buyers market again.

BK is losing its "grittiness" which is what attracted all the people to begin with . I'm sorry but Wythe Ave. looks like a white washed , J Crew catwalk. German tourist looking for Starbucks and want to see graffiti .. LMAOO . So corny.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:23 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyPenguin View Post
Not to long ago tenants in Brooklyn couldve gone up to a lanlord, show proof of income, and get a place.

Now tell me what exactly has changed?
Brooklyn changed. NYC changed. The real estate market changed. This is news to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: