Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 08:14 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,559 times

Advertisements

Northern Blvd from Parsons all the way to 170th and going further west into Bayside is considered an exclusive area by Korean's and they are building that area up very rapidly. Restaurant's, mini malls, platic surgery clinics for all the women, ehthnic bakeries, supermarkets and pharmacies. Han Chinese are scattered everywhere throughout, but the more suburban section of Flushing is mostly dominated by Korean businesses, much the oppisite of Main Street.

I lived on Northen and Main for 10 years and had a garage on 160th and 49th. Still a lot of old school Italian and Irish, but most of them sell and move to Florida after taking the buyouts from all the foreign money when their house needs rennovations.

Chinese and Koreans come in and rennovate, or a developer will purchase a larger corner lot and build one of those Chinese style (brick and steel) duplex houses and sell each unit for $800k+.

Real estate values are going up steadily in Flushing everywhere, and in 10 years it will be considered and elite/wealthy asian community, once everything is bought out and rebuilt.

This entire area contains the largest concentration of asian americans in the entire country. Expect a lot of money from China and South korea to be pouring into this area in the next 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 08:44 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Bland Houses, Latimer Gardens, Colden Avenue, you can add Pomonok as well if we're talking the greater Flushing area.
Assumed you were referring to the NYCHA. Still never thought of those areas as "the hood" anyway. Nothing like say..Jamaica houses,Rochdale Village areas of Queens. By Colden Ave you must have meant to say Colden St. that runs parallel to Kissena Blvd? I have many friends that still live in that area & was just there. Did not consider it bad at all. As for Pomonok it has just started to go downhill in the past 3 or so years. One friend that lived there is now fighting for her mother-in-law as she is being forced to move from her apt. now that she lives alone. I can understand that as that huge apt. can be better used for a family with 3 kids than for one elderly lady. They want her to move into a small apt. Hard for her to pick up at almost 90 years old!

Pomonok was fine until they were accused of discrimination several years back. Then the landscape changed and in came the drugs & violence. Shootings as well. Pomonok went downhill very quickly. Still can't think of those areas as "the hood" ...yet.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:59 AM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Assumed you were referring to the NYCHA. Still never thought of those areas as "the hood" anyway. Nothing like say..Jamaica houses,Rochdale Village areas of Queens. By Colden Ave you must have meant to say Colden St. that runs parallel to Kissena Blvd? I have many friends that still live in that area & was just there. Did not consider it bad at all. As for Pomonok it has just started to go downhill in the past 3 or so years. One friend that lived there is now fighting for her mother-in-law as she is being forced to move from her apt. now that she lives alone. I can understand that as that huge apt. can be better used for a family with 3 kids than for one elderly lady. They want her to move into a small apt. Hard for her to pick up at almost 90 years old!

Pomonok was fine until they were accused of discrimination several years back. Then the landscape changed and in came the drugs & violence. Shootings as well. Pomonok went downhill very quickly. Still can't think of those areas as "the hood" ...yet.
Yeah sorry, I meant Colden Street. Yeah those areas are "hood" for Flushing - not on the level of anything in southern Queens....agree with you 100%

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-10-2014, 07:55 AM

5,118 posts, read 4,966,473 times
The Bland Houses should be named a model nycha project. residents there are as civil as the UES residents despite living on mch more modest means. i guess they picked up good cues from the surrouding asian neighbors. .
that is a good examle of how two races can co-habit peacefully without bothering each other...

Old 11-10-2014, 08:03 AM

If they remove the air restriction, flushing would quickly turn into skyscrapes and all chinese will be lured there. there are a lot of rough around the edges type of immigrant residents and latinos from the nearby hoods. it has a third world charm there: low profile substandard amenities very affordable with easy going down to earth ppl who look content and happy with their lives. you see very few pretentious ppl there which is a big draw for me.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:25 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,401 times
I love Flushing, but then again, I've always had a fondness for East Asian cultures.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:41 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
All the hype about Brooklyn, Flushing stands on it's own. There are much more commercial and retail development here than BK. Because many Chinese developers are building skyscrapers there not just condos.

I like Flushing because it's more hip and diverse. Feels like a different city than the rest of NYC. While downtown BK is losing diversity I think Flushing's diversity maybe expanding.

It's not the best place for transplants because many are afraid of diversity. They need StarBuck$ and Chiptole$ but in reality there are so many better food options in Flushing.

I can voucher Paris Bagette > Starbuck$.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:04 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,764,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
All the hype about Brooklyn, Flushing stands on it's own. There are much more commercial and retail development here than BK. Because many Chinese developers are building skyscrapers there not just condos.

I like Flushing because it's more hip and diverse. Feels like a different city than the rest of NYC. While downtown BK is losing diversity I think Flushing's diversity maybe expanding.

It's not the best place for transplants because many are afraid of diversity. They need StarBuck$ and Chiptole$ but in reality there are so many better food options in Flushing.

I can voucher Paris Bagette > Starbuck$.
Paris Bagette is great So is Tous les Jours. I think I saw a PB on the UWS as well as in K-town here in Manhattan.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:27 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,578,924 times
Actually had dinner in Flushing tonight! We usually go every couple of months for some shopping and some great food. It had been a few months since I was there last and it felt like there were a lot of new condos/shopping finished. From arriving at Main Street, we cut over through the Bland Houses to the Skyview shopping center. Checked out the Restoration Hardware Outlet there before heading over to the Queens Crossing Mall. Then had dinner at Little Sheep, which was great. I enjoy Flushing and feel like I'm somewhere else while I'm there. Very convenient to Manhattan too, via the 7 or the LIRR.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Actually had dinner in Flushing tonight! We usually go every couple of months for some shopping and some great food. It had been a few months since I was there last and it felt like there were a lot of new condos/shopping finished. From arriving at Main Street, we cut over through the Bland Houses to the Skyview shopping center. Checked out the Restoration Hardware Outlet there before heading over to the Queens Crossing Mall. Then had dinner at Little Sheep, which was great. I enjoy Flushing and feel like I'm somewhere else while I'm there. Very convenient to Manhattan too, via the 7 or the LIRR.
flushing does have that country within a city feeling, thanks to its non-english speaking populations and signs that many native nyers cannot even read....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City