Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 07:26 AM

15 posts, read 36,625 times

Advertisements

I want to rent out my Bronx co-op. How do I go about finding a good tenant with the least hassle and most profit (e.g., not paying fees to a broker to handle)? My co-op allows subletting so I'm fine there. What do you suggest? Simple craigslist posting, or better to go another route? I'm very concerned with getting someone responsible who will take decent care of things. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 08:02 AM

913 posts, read 2,273,022 times
You can use Craigslist since it's free, but you're also going to encounter just about anybody from using that site. It's Up To To Perform The Proper Credit AND BACKGROUND Checks When YOU FINALLY GET A Tenant YOU Like Before renting.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:16 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Before you start to advertise for a tenant, I recommend contacting a tenant checking company (Google "tenant check"). They can provide application forms and forms which need to be signed by the applicant in order to check his credit history, criminal record, previous landlords, etc.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:42 AM

624 posts, read 982,847 times
I use rentalutions to manage my rental property in maryland. It's an online service that helps you advertise your property, do credit checks, write a lease, and collect rent using online payments. I've only been using it for a few months but so far so good. It only costs me $5 / month and $39 one time per lease. They also have a lot of good blog articles about landlord concerns such as taxes and finding good tenants which you can read for free.

Becoming a landlord is no joke. This is a business, not an easy passive way to make some extra bucks on the side. Get a bad tenant and you will lose much more than you possibly could have collected in rental profits. Go get some books first. I recommend "Landlording" by Leigh Robinson as a start.

Last edited by fmatthew5876; 11-14-2014 at 09:51 AM..

Old 11-14-2014, 02:05 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Craigslist is fine.

Here are some tips:

1. Post your telephone number as a contact, not your email. This will almost totally cut down on scams.

2. Write a complete ad, so people won't cal you with basic questions.

3. I'd be against online payment, but definitely have a formal lease.

4. If you're lucky, your building will have an application form and do the credit checks for you.

5. Make a commitment to spend a lot of time on the vetting process. Listen carefully to what prospective tenants say, because you'll often hear red flags. When you find one or two people you like, sit down with them in person for at least 20 minutes, preferably more.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:20 PM

913 posts, read 2,273,022 times
A credit check doesn't mean much these days. It's all a judgement call. I know someone who seems so professional but smokes weed. It's sad to see a professional do that. It bothers everyone in the building, but you'd never know it when you see that person in a dress shirt and wool slacks.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:01 PM

298 posts, read 707,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
A credit check doesn't mean much these days. It's all a judgement call. I know someone who seems so professional but smokes weed. It's sad to see a professional do that. It bothers everyone in the building, but you'd never know it when you see that person in a dress shirt and wool slacks.
Quit being judgmental.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:25 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
it is always better to start with someone who shows willingness and ability to pay than someone who already demonstrated they either do not have the means or willingness to pay.

eventually job loss-illness-or divorce become the problem of every landlord at one point or another so looking for trouble right off the bat by taking someone with poor credit is asking for trouble.

it is not your responsibility to sort out the reasons why someones credit may be poor . why bother. just move on to someone who has no credit issues.

at least if they turn bad you did your homework in that regard..

Old 11-15-2014, 09:32 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirabelle9 View Post
I want to rent out my Bronx co-op. How do I go about finding a good tenant with the least hassle and most profit (e.g., not paying fees to a broker to handle)? My co-op allows subletting so I'm fine there. What do you suggest? Simple craigslist posting, or better to go another route? I'm very concerned with getting someone responsible who will take decent care of things. Thanks!
You could use Airbnb to temporarily host guests. Just go to their site and they have instructions on how to open up an account. Airbnb verifies the id, telephone number, e-mail, facebook, etc of members, and you are insured with them by the Lloyds of London.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:59 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballervision View Post
Quit being judgmental.

Quit being ridiculous. When you're looking for a prospective tenant is exactly when you should be very judgmental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City