U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 10:02 AM

6,945 posts, read 9,667,199 times

Advertisements

NYC records fewest homicides in 44 years...

LINK

-----------------------

How Chicago has reduced homicides. New York's approach sounds similar. Check the video.

PBS
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 10:32 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,456,160 times
Thanks for this posting...the fear mongering and BS stereotypes pushed by so many on this forum about the supposed "out of control" and "rampant" crime that "grips this city" was proven, as usual, to be just fear mongering by people who either do not live in the city, spend 24/7 watching the negative "news" stories on Eyewitness news, or have some sort of alterior motive for trying to scare people away.

As I live in Mott Haven, one of the most negatively publicized communities in NYC, I know first hand how safe the city is...and more people are realizing that the city...ALL of the city...is open for business. Welcome to all.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:14 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,387,067 times
Yeah I am sure glad about NYC homicide decline. The other day they were interviewing Ray Kelly on CNN.

Do you guys think this the lowest NYC might be able to go. I can't see NYC having much less homicides than an average of about 500 a year. Either way, 494 still impressive for such a big city of more than 8 Million and plus the number of millions of people in the daytime population and the addition of 44 million of tourists a year on top of that.

What a city!

Old 01-02-2008, 12:23 PM

Exactly Cyrus..not only is the homicide rate under 500 for a city of a whopping 8 million people, but that also includes the millions that commute day in and day out in the city, and the tens of millions of tourists. The city is amazingly safe....

I believe the crime rate will decline further...will it go down to 10 homicides per year? Probably not anytime soon...but I can see less than the 500..the massive revitalization of NYC, the huge investment in commercial, retial, and housing, and the movement of people back in the city will only accelerate the changes brewing...and spur further decreases in crime. Poor people dont want crime anymore than rich people....and now with the renewed interest in these communities, they are FINALLY getting the attention and resources to make a difference. Crime will drop further....and we are now living better, healthier, safer lives as a result.

ALL of the city is in play!

Old 01-02-2008, 07:38 PM

5 posts, read 4,125 times
There might be less then 500 homicides this year by chance but that is still a ton for such a small geographical area. Especially considering those homicides and other crimes are highly concentrated in specific areas. Last year homicides were up in NYC. Highest since 2001. This year they are down but the city may have even slightly lost population from 06 to 07. The Bronx is down some murders from last year but still up versus the last 4 and Brooklyn North is up. I wouldn't concern myself to much with murders though. Most murders are dispute related in NYC and the vast majority go down in dumpy areas like the South Bronx, East NY, Brownsville, ect. Same with other violent crime. If you hang out or live in those areas then you already know how it is. Not that you shouldn't worry if you live in Forest Hills, Queens but it isn't an everyday priority concern there. If you live in a high crime area like Harlem or even the Lower East Side by the public housing projects then yes then violent crime is a real concern.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:14 AM

I agree that alot of the homicides are dispute related..however you should concern yourself of that number as it is indicative of what is going in the city overall. In 1991 (Or 90) the murder rate was over 2,000!!! That is cause for alarm and that kind of wreckless and free flowing crime had the city in havoc....so having a total UNDER 500 is something to take note of...it is impressive.

Furthermore, the assertion that the number is an anomoly or due to a minor loss in population from 06-07 is utterly ludicrous...sounds like you are grasping for straws to support your silly assertions rather than understanding why crime is down. Although crime may edge up or down slightly over the last few years...it has been on a huge downward trend for 15 years...and that trend is stabilizing....but NOT increasing.....the long term trend is what matters....and crime in the city IS decreasing..and continues to do so.

And I suspect that the areas you term "dumpy" are places you could no longer afford to buy..and theya re most definitely neighborhoods in transition and improving everyday. Crime is most definitely higher in certian nabes...and they are less desireable..but the days of "dumpiness" are over....they are just not as nice as others.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:40 AM

473 posts, read 1,570,469 times
Default amazingly safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
...........The city is amazingly safe....
hhhmmm I don't know guy - safe? yes. AMAZINGLY SAFE? argumentative.

I mean, crime does happen. People, not involved in crime end up in the statistics from being robbed, from being raped, from being victims of burglary and miscellaneous thugging.

I just checked the crime stats for the 44 and there is already 1 murder, 2 rapes, 15 robberies, 8 assaults and 6 burglaries.Now i just checked for the 108 - L.I.C - which is home to queens bridge projects, astoria projects and the ravenswood projects; there were 0 murders, 0 rapes, 7 burglaries and 8 assaults.

So maybe saying that NYC is amazingly safe puts that comment on the other end of Mead's bar? i.e. one side is the fear mongers, NYC is a killing zone and on the other side is "Guy" (lol) with the amazingly safe placard.

amazingly safe will be riding the 5 train midtown and back 10 times and recording no incidents.

amazingly safe will be, songbird going back to her NH without any incidents.

amazingly safe will be the case when one does not seeing stabbings on the bus and cops are not being shot at from roof tops(harlem on new years eve . if this had happened in the bronx it will be business as usual. it's expected....... it's the bronx.. but no one is bashing harlem for having some up and coming thugs unloading on cops...)

anyway ..........so is nyc amazingly safe? bx718 doesn't think so but then again neither is it like fallujah

Old 01-03-2008, 09:50 AM

Lol...none of those statements are Amazingly safe...those are nonsesical scenarios that have not existed in this city EVER.

When I say amazingly safe...it is in the prespective that there are 8 million people crammed in a teeny weeny area, jostling for everything...plus the extra million or so that commute in and out everyday...plus the tens of millions of tourists that criss cross the city every year. And at the end of the day...for all those untold tens of millions of people that flood the city everyday...there are less than 500 murders....I would say that most definitely qualifies as an Amazingly safe city.

Yes there is still crime..but when you put it into perspective..there is a relatively small police force, that is supposedly undermanned, underpaid, and lacking resources for such a huge population, yet the murder rate is still INCREDIBLY low. Would anyone care to post another large city anywhere in the country that can boast such low numbers comparatively?

Unless you enjoy spending your time in the housing projects fo Bed-Stuy, or your best friends are crypts, or you are compelled to hang out at the local bodegas at 3am, this city is, in fact, Amazingly safe. I stand by my statement 100%...and thats from someone who lives directly across the street from gargantuan housing projects in Mott Haven.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:39 PM

473 posts, read 1,570,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
and thats from someone who lives directly across the street from gargantuan housing projects in Mott Haven.

have you been back to pio pio? or bruckner bar?

Old 01-03-2008, 12:42 PM

Lol...I go to Bruckner Bar and Grill all the time...they love me...as most people do. Alexander's Cafe is expanding by the way....they are doubling the size of the dining area, getting a new bar..and creating a year round outdoor seating area. I am looking forward to it.

When are you gonna swing back down here again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City