Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 06:48 PM

22 posts, read 51,755 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend is coming to visit for 8 days, and I have to entertain him My place is East Village is very small, so we will be outside doing things a lot. I literally just moved here myself, and all I know is tons of great bars and restaurants. I surely will take him sightseeing and show all the things he needs to see and all the Christmas decorations (open to anything christmas related that i might not know about). But I would like to add in some things are different. Can somebody recommend me some good shows on Broadway maybe that are good for two people in their late 20s? Something that's great, but I also have realistic chance getting tickets for. Or some good comedy shows? Or burlesque shows, open mic shows... Or anything else that is indoorsy and doesn't kill the budget? A nice dinner or a nice show here and there is ok, but maybe once, or twice.. And all the walking will also get really cold. So yea I am looking for stuff to do indoors that is hip and fun. He isn't into art galleries unfortunately but if you know of one that's a little different, why not.

Oh, and I also don't mind going to Brooklyn or Astoria or so for something fun. We can move around
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 08:55 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,775,302 times
Check out Fuerza Bruta in Union Square.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:07 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Start buying Time Out NY to get a sense of what's going on.If you like something off the beaten track (really off) you could try the Louis Armstrong House Tour in Corona Queens. Also there may be food tours in various areas, which you can usually find on blogs.

Some people go out to Dyker Heights in Brooklyn to see holiday lights but I've never been. Dyker Heights Christmas Lights - Dyker Heights - Brooklyn, NY | Yelp

There are holiday markets all over. You can find out about that type of thing in Time Out NY.

Also, you mentioned he's not really into art galleries, but it can be fun to go out to Chelsea or the LES on an evening when a lot of galleries are having their free openings. This might not really happen so much over the holidays because the galleries are most likely not going to want to compete with people's busy holiday schedules, but you can find out by signing up here http://artcards.cc/

The High Line and Chelsea Market are fun, too.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:00 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,938 times
Rockwood Music Hall is very affordable, with some fine, up-and-coming musical acts.
Rockwood Music Hall - Upcoming Performances

Does he like trains? Grand Central Station has a miniature train village, with some Holiday shopping alongside it: Events at Grand Central Terminal :: 13th Annual Holiday Train Show at Grand Central :: Nov 16, 2014

Or the NYBotanical Gardens in the Bronx has their annual Holiday Train Show - miniature village of NYC buildings, recreated from plant materials. Holiday Train Show | NYBG

Is he romantic and sentimental? In your late 20's with a boyfriend, maybe look at The Fantasticks, which is Off-Broadway and appears to still have tickets that week. If not discount, just go to their website for regular tix at $85 apiece. In a small theater like that, you'll be closer to stage than a Broadway show, so you might get more value for your dollar. The Fantasticks Discount Tickets - Off Broadway | Save up to 50% Off

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 11-21-2014 at 11:16 PM..

Old 11-22-2014, 11:30 AM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
How about the Rockettes Christmas Show?
Radio City Christmas Spectacular

Old 11-22-2014, 01:10 PM

205 posts, read 507,853 times
X2 on Fuerza Bruta.

Rodney Dangerfields is inexpensive, if you want to try out a comedy club.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:59 PM

379 posts, read 517,860 times
NY Botanical Garden has a train show in one of the conservancies. Its really nice and the craftsmanship that goes into making the structures and buildings is awesome. There will be a lot of kids there on the weekends but its an event everyone can enjoy. Also the gardens are decorated for Christmas and the place looks really nice. New York Botanical Garden

If you are going to see the tree in Rockerfeller Center, go on a week day during the day or late afternoon. The area gets very crowded at night especially on a weekend.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:07 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
The McKittrick Hotel

Old 11-22-2014, 02:21 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,938 times
HOLIDAY CLASSIC: This live theater piece looks very enjoyable, a radio play of The Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. It's a Brooklyn troupe, coming in to Manhattan to perform. You'd buy a ticket on Dec. 1 to attend later in the month (Dec. 18-21), so jump on it if interested. Carroll Gardens Theater Group to Make Off-Broadway Debut During Holidays - Carroll Gardens - DNAinfo.com New York

NEW PLAY, WITH COUPLE THEMES: Dec 8 - 20, see Flux Theatre Ensemble's newest full-stage production, "Once Upon a Bride, There Was a Forest," by Kristen Palmer, directed by Heather Cohn. FLUX is among NYC's finest Independent Theater troupes. After seeing them workshop this new play, I recommend it enthusiastically. Have an up-close theater experience without breaking your budget. FLUX plays generally sell out, but tickets are still available now.
Once Upon a Bride There Was a Forest

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 11-22-2014 at 03:17 PM..

Old 11-24-2014, 02:54 PM

22 posts, read 51,755 times
You guys are great, thank you so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: