Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 05:30 AM

106,562 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

many folks rape the system and collect and work off the books for those 26 weeks . 400 bucks or so plus tax free income working can be more than they even make when they had a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 05:41 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Do you know many of these people personally who are working off the books and collecting Unemployment checks? Or is it fantasy like Joe the Plumber and the Welfare Queen?

Everyone I've known collecting unemployment searched for work in a job market that had no jobs and desperately needed that weekly check.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:14 AM

i have had soooooooooooooooooo many come in for job interviews i lost count over the years.. it is much more common in the unskilled low end workers but they still bump up those unemployment numbers.

the bigger issue is sooooo many people are just not employable because of drugs or background checks.

we actually have one of those triangle things in the street advertising help wanted.

in our industry demand for good people has sky rocketed. we have head hunters call all the time offering insane money to our people. i had a major public company contact me and tell me i can write my own paycheck pretty much if i join them.

we have lost quite a few people to these insane offers so employers are basically just stealing the best of breed from each other.

while employers had the upper hand for more than a decade the tide has shifted for sure the last year.

perhaps most of the better people are already snatched up at this point and the level left is just not coveted .

the last few years gave employers a chance to clean out marginal staff. many at this stage will have a hard time finding work no matter how much the economy picks up.

are there exceptions ? sure but for the most part in our area many are out of work for other reasons other than lack of jobs.

many who are still out of work blame the job market but today it is really the access to information that rules many out. employers have lots of sources now for trying to find better level employees. while they can't always fill the slots with what they want they are not filling them with what they don't want.

it was a lot easier for a less than best of breed worker to find employment. today it is alot harder as the ability to sort them out is easier, many times that sorting process has not even gotten to job skills yet. just drug testing ,background checks ,credit checks and simple math tests rule out alot..

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-23-2014 at 06:41 AM..

Old 11-23-2014, 07:00 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Unemployment lasts for only 6 months, and in order to get unemployment you have to have lost an on the books job.

I would feel confident in saying since most people on unemployment have a work history of having legitimate jobs, that while on employment they are looking for on the book jobs and not working off the books.

The people working off the books while getting government benefits are likely on public assistance or SSI or disability. I've personally known that to happen.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:02 AM

the 6 months of ui now really did cut the abuse down that it was seeing. folks were going years on ui and off the book jobs ,especially 2nd bread winners in a family.

so many didn't even bother looking at all until the ui ran out.

like all statistics the numbers can show whatever someone wants them to. there is no question though we are a whole lot less bad and most of the useable folks have already been hired.

it may be for less money but then again perhaps they were just over paid for their ability prior.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the 6 months of ui now really did cut the abuse down that it was seeing. folks were going years on ui and off the book jobs ,especially 2nd bread winners in a family.

so many didn't even bother looking at all until the ui ran out.

like all statistics the numbers can show whatever someone wants them to. there is no question though we are a whole lot less bad and most of the useable folks have already been hired.

it may be for less money but then again perhaps they were just over paid for their ability prior.
Exactly. The stats can be interpreted to fit whatever someone wants them to.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:45 AM

personally i think folks spend far to much time worrying about what others have financially or or how others are doing. there is just know way much can be determined from these statistics out there.

they are to clouded and can be skewed in all different directions.

but i guess misery sells so folks love hearing about the fact others are struggling too only thing is we really do not know if they really are.

as humans we all can only have 2 outcomes in life despite statistics. things either work out or they don't.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
personally i think folks spend far to much time worrying about what others have financially or or how others are doing. there is just know way much can be determined from these statistics out there.

they are to clouded and can be skewed in all different directions.

but i guess misery sells so folks love hearing about the fact others are struggling too only thing is we really do not know if they really are.

as humans we all can only have 2 outcomes in life despite statistics. things either work out or they don't.

Agreed. You can't site stats when it's time to go to the grocery store. Either you have the money to buy food or you don't. It's really that simple.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:11 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
For 26 lousy weeks...at half the pay they used to make.
Wow, what a great deal?
They could book a 6 month cruise on the Queen Mary and live the high life on all that money.
That poster must think we are still in the year 2011 and that unemployed people get 3 tiers

Old 11-23-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Agreed. You can't site stats when it's time to go to the grocery store. Either you have the money to buy food or you don't. It's really that simple.
if you frequent the financial forums or retirement planning forums you see folks talking in terms of statistics and averages and average life expectancy all the time.

but it all really means nothing to anyone but insurers.

we are only either dead or alive or have more than enough money or don't, need long term care or don't.

there is no such thing as chances of things , they either work out or they don't.

there are so many reasons unemployment numbers can appear higher or lower but all that counts to each one of us is whether YOU are gainfully employed or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: