Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 03:52 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,650,878 times

Advertisements

The exterminator is the obvious route, to me. What do you mean, he sprayed "around the house"? Did he not spray in your apartment? I'd call the LL, ask politely about having the exterminator in again, be there when he comes, find out what he's spraying with, and follow him around, moving furniture for him, making sure he sprays behind the stove, etc. Then ask him if how long the work is guaranteed for. If it's a 3+ month guarantee, you can make him come back for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 03:58 PM

251 posts, read 341,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
The exterminator is the obvious route, to me. What do you mean, he sprayed "around the house"? Did he not spray in your apartment? I'd call the LL, ask politely about having the exterminator in again, be there when he comes, find out what he's spraying with, and follow him around, moving furniture for him, making sure he sprays behind the stove, etc. Then ask him if how long the work is guaranteed for. If it's a 3+ month guarantee, you can make him come back for free.
No he sprayed around the apartment, in cabinets, along the edge of the walls, etc. This was about 1.5 years ago.

The last time I told the LL, he didnt call the exterminator and fogged my apartment himself.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:08 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
I don't what's worse to you in the long run, the roaches or all the poison chemicals you'd be exposed to.

It's a no-win situation.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:13 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,382,750 times
1. Roaches do not come out unless their population food is not enough.

2. A person in the building has roaches and that is why you see them. Meaning somebody nearby has hundreds of them crawling all over the place. Everywhere. They are not doing anything about it. Chances are during that first time around somebody moved or out. Try buying an overstock of traps and leaving them ( with them in piles in front of every neighbors household ). This way people will take the traps and use them. Chances are that one person who is over runned with roaches will take them as well.

3. Do not eat outside the kitchen, area. Roaches move to the next room. They can smell your microscopic crumbs, and food particles, including gas particles. They are water bugs, that can also swim, and find water as well.

4. You should also clean the place, From top to bottom. They leave a trail for other roaches to follows. Even marks which way is safe and not safe. Painting over usually destroys this trail for awhile. Anything with roach scent is bound for invasion.

Owning a cat also helps. Because the strong oder they have usually informs other animals of a bigger predator. You could let wiskers in for a month or so until the place smells like pusssy. Dogs go crazy for the scent by cats and rats will avoid confrontation with the smell.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:35 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,157 times
Mice are incontinent and spread diseases through their droppings.

Mice are much more of a problem than roaches.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:11 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
rv,

Check for every conceivable way you can get into the walls...around pipes, behind electrical outlets and GENEROUSLY puff boric acid between the walls. A pound in an apartment is not too much.
DON'T do this if you have cats.

Added to what you have done (BA behind and under stove and fridge) and in the corners of all your cabinets, you will get the "roaming roaches" before they get established. The reason for the roaming is that some stupid exterminators use insecticides that cause roaches to RUN instead of more expensive BAITS. (DO you think exterminators might have a motive for dispersing roaches throughout a building? )

If you want to add another layer of defense to the BA, use some paste type poison baits that you squeeze under sinks, etc., like toothpaste. They cost more than spray cans but do a better job and protect for months.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:42 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
I honestly have found that having a cat has been the best thing to keep roaches away.

We actually leave food in the bowls for the cats all day (dry food) on the floor and luckily we don't really get bugs. Mostly because any bug that makes its way into our place is just going to be tortured and killed by the cats. But bugs/mice are totally aware if there is a cat around. In our last place, one cat went to my parents' house for the day and a mouse must've smelled it right away---because we never had mice in the apartment. Unfortunately, he must've not smelled the other cat was still there and my cat was nice enough to leave a blood trail and drop the dead mouse by the foot of my bed.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:12 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I honestly have found that having a cat has been the best thing to keep roaches away.
My experience is that cats really are not interested in roaches, they would just WATCH them...at least my two of days gone by, and I haven't had a mouse in decades.
Problem with cats is they are curious and fastidious. Any poisons carelessly spread around with find their way onto the cats' coats and they will dutifully lick it off.
You can be a lot more aggressive with roach treatments with dogs than with cats.

Last edited by Kefir King; 11-29-2014 at 06:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: