Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 05:03 PM

5 posts, read 7,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna
I thought a one bedroom would be around $2500-$3000 in Park Slope, but granted, I don't have any insider knowledge. I do know that 2 bedrooms in my un-hip neighborhood in Queens are going for $2200-$2400 so I just figured it would cost significantly more to live in an ultra-desirable neighborhood like Park Slope.
Many variables are at play but possible to find something within OP's price range in the slope. A unit in a brownstone, highly unlikely...pre-war apt building, possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 05:07 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
If you're going to Forest Hills, try to stick to the south side of Queens Blvd. where most of the shopping, dining and retail are located. Catholic schools Queen of Martyrs and Mercy are also on the south side. For the commute to SOHO, you can take the LIRR and catch the downtown trains at Penn Station.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:51 PM

158 posts, read 138,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne85 View Post
We *think* 2-3k (higher end if things are included) - we are still waiting on the final offer so if that goes up we may be able to go higher. With my brief search it seemed like Forest Hills might be just outside of our price range, which is a bummer.

Do you think a broker is the way to go to help us navigate school zoning and what not? (if so do you know any?? haha)
Forest Hills is definitely within your budget. Here are a couple of 3 bedroom rentals for under $3K in Forest Hills

Terrace Sotheby's International Realty

The first one is in Forest Hills Gardens, which is a private community with ample street parking for residents and generally considered the most desirable part of Forest Hills.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:27 AM

33 posts, read 37,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhubaba View Post
Forest Hills is definitely within your budget. Here are a couple of 3 bedroom rentals for under $3K in Forest Hills

The first one is in Forest Hills Gardens, which is a private community with ample street parking for residents and generally considered the most desirable part of Forest Hills.
Thanks, those are great options! This will be much easier once we know for sure the salary we are working with. I love the closeness that Park Slope and Astoria have but I wonder if the further out areas might be better for my kids? I really need to visit the area.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:46 PM

640 posts, read 3,074,610 times
How do you find rentals in any of these places? Doing a little research and I am someone totally unfamiliar with these areas. My person will be working in Manhattan in the evenings and has a young family. Please advise.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:31 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenAroundTheBlock View Post
How do you find rentals in any of these places? Doing a little research and I am someone totally unfamiliar with these areas. My person will be working in Manhattan in the evenings and has a young family. Please advise.
These are NOT recommendations (because I have no experience using any of them) but you could start with Naked Apartments, Streeteasy, Corcoran, City Habitats, Halstead, Douglas Elliman, Sotheby's -- and check the NY Times real estate classifieds.

Be prepared to pay a realtor fee of 15% of the year's rent.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:42 PM

33 posts, read 37,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenAroundTheBlock View Post
I have been using NYC Real Estate & Apartments For Sale in New York City | StreetEasy - I talked to people who live in the area and did some researching to figure out what areas might be family friendly and then came to this group to try and gain more information. If you find any information please share

Old 11-24-2014, 04:58 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,147,165 times
Something nobody has mentioned is that even though Forest Hills looks far out on the map, it's not such a bad commute at all because of the miracle of the express subway. You can easily have a shorter commute there than you can in Astoria, depending on where you live in relation to the subway. And Forest Hills also has the LIRR, which some people swear by, even though I never used it to commute in my nine years living there.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:17 PM

3 posts, read 4,649 times
The best elementary schools in the city, and in fact even in the stater are in forest hills, the best of the best is PS 196, but 101 and 144 are excellent as well. Forest Hills is also served by solid middle schools with great honors programs that feed into the specialized schools. PS 196 has scored first in NY state on a couple of years, and is almost always in the top 10 for many years. I have three kids and all have done well school wise. If you can, try to live on the south side of queens boulevard as that is where all the nice stores and restaurants are without having to cross Queens boulevard. However, north side of Queens Boulevard, I believe, have has bigger apartments, and is zoned for PS 196. You would have to cross Queens blvd to get to the nicer stores and shopping-not too much of a big deal for adults, but can be as the kids get older and they want to walk over. Try to stay close to the subway station if you are on the North side, unless you have a car, in which case you want to go further north on yellowstone or 108th street where there is ample street parking. Do keep in mind that living on the south side also makes you closer to the LIRR station, and train ride to Penn station is just a few minutes.

Forest Hills is an extremely clean, very safe, green neighborhood with relatively easy access to the city by subway. I travel a lot, and the fact that fh is 1O minutes away from La Guardia is a godsend.

I think for you, an apartment on the south side of queens blvd with easy access to Austin Street is best. Many of the pre-K programs, kids oriented places (kid chef, gymboree, music schools, Pizzeria Uno etc. etc. ) are there. NY times recently did an article on a family that lives in Parker Towers (the renovated part)..that is one option.

Good luck

Old 11-25-2014, 01:48 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
You may also want to look into Middle Village, which has decent schools and the M train that goes directly into Soho. Your budget could probably get you a whole house, rather than just a measly apartment.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/fee/4775643030.html

Last edited by ShirlMastic Beach; 11-25-2014 at 01:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City