Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 11:06 AM

145 posts, read 334,473 times

Advertisements

A 2 bedroom in Park Slope is doable with that budget. Schools are great but beware of overcrowding. You may also want to consider Carroll Gardens. PS58 is a good school.

Also, PM me if you'd like a broker rec that specializes in these areas. They aren't ALL bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 11:08 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne85 View Post
My kids are 3 and 5 so I'm not as concerned about high schools, was curious. We are moving with only my husband working. I like to think by the time they reach middle/high school I'll probably have returned to the work force in some capacity and private schools might actually be an option. give me 8 years before that thread!
Since it seems that schools are your top priority I would make a trip to Forest Hills as well as the Bayside/Douglaston area if I were you. If you drive parts of Bayside/Douglaston are a plus due to better parking if you don't then it's a minus due to access to the subway system. The opposite is true of Forest Hills. Both place you should be good through Junior high so 8 years for your older kid, but more so in the Bayside/Douglaston area since all the junior highs in the area are highly rated.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:18 PM

33 posts, read 37,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoamy View Post
A 2 bedroom in Park Slope is doable with that budget. Schools are great but beware of overcrowding. You may also want to consider Carroll Gardens. PS58 is a good school.

Also, PM me if you'd like a broker rec that specializes in these areas. They aren't ALL bad.
I read reviews of the two schools people suggested in Park Slope, some reviewers did mention the over crowding, we'd probably aim for the smaller school. We reviewed schools in Park Slope, Astoria and Forest Hills so far, still need to look into Bay Ridge. We will probably want to actually visit a few too once we narrow down where we're going.

Thank you, we may see if finding a place on our own is doable but I will take the referral just in case we find it to be too daunting. I appreciate it!

Old 11-26-2014, 02:42 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
I read reviews of the two schools people suggested in Park Slope, some reviewers did mention the over crowding,
This is true for almost all open enrollment schools, which is why their is a fair amount of people who send to private or parochial schools.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
This is true for almost all open enrollment schools, which is why their is a fair amount of people who send to private or parochial schools.
We will have to see if that is an option come the end of next week when we have a better idea of where we stand finance wise. Such a crap shoot when that is up in the air. I appreciate all of the input though. I'm curious about class room size, should I call and ask the schools of interest?

Old 11-26-2014, 05:25 PM

If you were going to opt for private schools are there safe areas anyone can recommend that are nice but less expensive?

Old 11-27-2014, 09:54 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
If you were going to opt for private schools are there safe areas anyone can recommend that are nice but less expensive?
Kew Gardens, Briarwood and parts of East Elmhurst (north of Jackson Heights). They are near parochial schools like Our Lady Queen of Martyrs, Our Lady of Mercy and Joan of Arc.

Otherwise you can try your luck with charter schools like Renaissance.

Quote:
I'm curious about class room size, should I call and ask the schools of interest?
Class sizes and dwindling support for enrichment are an issue in most open enrollment schools, except maybe in rich neighborhoods where affluent families engage in "fundraisers" or pony up "misc. expenses" to pay for special amenities like good FT teachers aides and complete classroom materials. Otherwise you will have to deal with large class sizes, overwhelmed teachers and few resources. There are some students in my kid's private school who came from public schools like in Queens - one for example told me that their daughter's grade 1 class in Rego Park had 27 students with no TA so children who cried in class were sent straight to the principal's office. Another kid was in a gifted and talented program and his mom became concerned when the school started quietly inserting children with learning disabilities into the classes. There was an NY Times article a few years ago telling how kids in an elementary school in SD 26 (one of the best in NYC) were taking music instrument classes in stairwells. You'll have to accept that good hassle-free education is an expensive commodity in NYC.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 11-27-2014 at 10:07 AM..

Old 11-27-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Kew Gardens, Briarwood and parts of East Elmhurst (north of Jackson Heights). They are near parochial schools like Our Lady Queen of Martyrs, Our Lady of Mercy and Joan of Arc.

Otherwise you can try your luck with charter schools like Renaissance.

Class sizes and dwindling support for enrichment are an issue in most open enrollment schools, except maybe in rich neighborhoods where affluent families engage in "fundraisers" or pony up "misc. expenses" to pay for special amenities like good FT teachers aides and complete classroom materials. Otherwise you will have to deal with large class sizes, overwhelmed teachers and few resources. There are some students in my kid's private school who came from public schools like in Queens - one for example told me that their daughter's grade 1 class in Rego Park had 27 students with no TA so children who cried in class were sent straight to the principal's office. Another kid was in a gifted and talented program and his mom became concerned when the school started quietly inserting children with learning disabilities into the classes. There was an NY Times article a few years ago telling how kids in an elementary school in SD 26 (one of the best in NYC) were taking music instrument classes in stairwells. You'll have to accept that good hassle-free education is an expensive commodity in NYC.
My son's current class has 23 kids with no TA actually so 27 while many isn't as big as I was expecting. Do they allow parents to volunteer? I volunteer every Tuesday for a few hours and a few others do to so the teacher does get some help that way but upstate there seems to be no money either!!

Thanks for listing those private options, I'll look into it. Thank you!

Old 11-27-2014, 07:08 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Middle Village has Our Lady of Hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City