Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 07:49 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
He still had 4 months left on his lease. He informed the management company that he has to move because of his job and didn't intentionally mean to break his lease. He surrendered his key and moved out, but they said he still must pay the remaining 4 months. He doesn't have access to the apartment, he's in another state, but they keep send monthly rent invoices as if he still lives there and they refuse to show the unit till his lease is up.

It seems kind of silly because its best to just hurry up and try to fill the empty unit rather then play this silly game. He's been gone for 2 months already. I am sure its grounds for eviction after failing to pay rent for 2 months, but how do you evict someone who isn't living there? The next step would be eviction.

He asks me to pick up his mail if anything comes to the old address and i just feel horrible for him. Is this going to court or the remaining balance will get sent down to a collection agency? He tells me to keep updated. Anyone know?
One thing I find odd is that you have another friend in the exact same predicament that you posted about on another thread, except that thread was started by a different OP and you came into the thread later saying the OP had mysteriously lost access to his account but had emailed YOU to tell you what was going on.

The other thing I don't understand is if "he" (in this thread) surrendered his keys to the management company, how is it that you still have his mailbox key?

Quote:
The original OP is having log in issues, but sent me a personal email saying the management company refuses to show the empty unit to any prospects because the OP is still in a lease. The management Co is pretending the tenant still lives there and will continue sending rent statements till the lease is up and most likely is taking OP to court. They also pretended they never received the keys either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 09:18 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Quote:
Let's not talk about Harlem. That's a completely different story. Dangerous areas are not included in this conversation.
Excuse me I'm going to need you to reimburse me for my medical copay because I just had to go to the ER after my eyes literally rolled out of my head.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:49 PM

913 posts, read 2,272,326 times
@FEBTOBER - You know what I mean. Asian neighborhoods have Asian LL that just take cash, they don't paper leases and they don't do yearly increases either. And they surely don't run credit checks. The motto is: If you have the cash, you can move in. The old fashion way.

Now for Harlem, that's a very colorful neighborhood and individuals could be addicted to weed, alcohol and other control substances and could have really bad credit, so they don't really fall into this equation either because their LL might be doing the cash method as well or so I've heard.

Let's keep it real shall we?

Old 11-29-2014, 11:09 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Now for Harlem, that's a very colorful neighborhood and individuals could be addicted to weed, alcohol and other control substances and could have really bad credit, so they don't really fall into this equation either because their LL might be doing the cash method as well or so I've heard.

All I can say is lol. I'll let somebody else handle it.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-30-2014, 12:14 AM

Glad you are amused.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:10 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
All I can say is lol. I'll let somebody else handle it.
There is something really "off" here.
India ?
But with what goal, that's the thing.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:22 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
This thread is the highlight of my morning.

"contracts are made to be broken", actually not. The whole point of a contract is that it is legally enforceable.

OP, so sorry about "your friend" but he should have really had a conversation with the management when he was even thinking about changing jobs. Its not like he woke up one day and he had 24 hours to move to Chicago.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:39 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Quote:
@FEBTOBER - You know what I mean. Asian neighborhoods have Asian LL that just take cash, they don't paper leases and they don't do yearly increases either. And they surely don't run credit checks. The motto is: If you have the cash, you can move in. The old fashion way.

A) No, I don't know what you mean. I live in Harlem, and the biggest crime that I've witnessed thus far is one guy that offered to sell me weed once, about four years ago.

B) Did you seriously just say "addicted to weed"?

Old 11-30-2014, 11:13 AM

My friend did. He went to the management company and informed him of his new job, relocation and surrendered the keys.

@OhioGirl - I'm glad your entertained. Contracts are made to be broken. People go through life changes and have the right to exit their lease and be granted an "EXCEPTION" that's why that word exist in the English dictionary, honey!!!!!

@FEBTOBER - we all know the negative connotations associated with Harlem so let's not get started on that. NYC keeps claiming they're trying to clean and gentrify that area. Once they do, I'll finally be able to pass 88th and Broadway with no safety concerns.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:18 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
My friend did. He went to the management company and informed him of his new job, relocation and surrendered the keys.

@OhioGirl - I'm glad your entertained. Contracts are made to be broken. People go through life changes and have the right to exit their lease and be granted an "EXCEPTION" that's why that word exist in the English dictionary, honey!!!!!

@FEBTOBER - we all know the negative connotations associated with Harlem so let's not get started on that. NYC keeps claiming they're trying to clean and gentrify that area. Once they do, I'll finally be able to pass 88th and Broadway with no safety concerns.
Definitely broadcasting from India.

Hey, I think my computer has a virus. Can you come onto my desktop and fix it for me ? I am willing to pay up to $10,000 - negotiable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City