Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 01:44 PM

35 posts, read 71,083 times

Advertisements

Thanks to those that helped me in the previous thread (deciding between Philly and NYC).

Should I move to New York (UES), the biggest unknown for me will be what to do about day care. I have a 4 month old and a 2.5 year old. I started to look into day care centers near my employment/putative apartment locations and from what I gather they will be crazy expensive or near-impossible to get into.

2 examples: Roosevelt Island Day Nursery- full time per child: $31K/29K []

Children's All-day school (on 60th st)-$33K/$31K

I'm sure there are better deals out there, but >$60K for day care is INSANE. Let's sayI can find a daycare with more reasonable costs, say 1.5x what I pay now (~25K)- 38K. That's a ton of money.

I saw something about hiring an Au Pair. They are relatively cheap, about $17-20K/year. The downside is they live with you. But there is no way they are going to cost me $18K in food. And they won't clean your house.

I've also seen ads for Nanny placement agencies, as well as nanny ads on craigslist that claim anywhere between $300-$1000 per week. They will also do basic errands like clean your house and do your laundry.

Anyone have experience they would like to share? Has anyone found a good nanny for $300 a week? That seems like the best solution to this problem for me, assuming I don't have to pay for their room and board as well.
What's a pricepoint to get a good nanny? $400/wk? $500/wk (assuming they are not live-in)?

Also, I heard that in some apartment buildings the mothers get together and start their own daycares, all putting in some part time work. Has anyone heard about this? Is it feasible?

If I had to pay $60K for day care there is no way I move to Manhattan. In Philly I am seeing reasonable prices- about $30K for both kids right by where work would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 01:53 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,235 times
How many hours to you expect this nanny to work for $300 a week?

Old 03-27-2014, 01:57 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,071,987 times
Do you speak any language other than English? Having a foreign nanny could dramatically affect the price point.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:00 PM

7 posts, read 17,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
$300 a week for two kids- a toddler and an infant!

OP, you just need to search in other locations. Maybe place the 2.5 yr old in a daycare and hire a nanny for the infant?

Old 03-27-2014, 02:01 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,799 times
I did a bit of research on this before and most people have indicated that they paid from $450-$800 a week with most paying about $600 a week in Manhattan. Of course there will always be those that paid more or less etc. with some people even paying their nannies thousands of dollars in year end bonus.

I have a coworker that did the Au Pair program and it was a bad experience for him. Apparently their 18/19 year old nanny got corrupted by all the wild parties she went to in the city and came home dead tired 5/6am many mornings.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
When I price it out for a year that is really low. I'm just quoting the prices I was seeing on web sites like this:

Manhattan Babysitting & Nanny Jobs in Manhattan - Care.com

Old 03-27-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Do you speak any language other than English? Having a foreign nanny could dramatically affect the price point.
I do- my first language was Spanish... I thought it would be cool to have my kids exposed to my native tongue as well, but not to the detriment of their English skills. I find a lot of young kids with bilingual exposure have slow development of their language skills.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:43 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyman121 View Post
When I price it out for a year that is really low. I'm just quoting the prices I was seeing on web sites like this:

Manhattan Babysitting & Nanny Jobs in Manhattan - Care.com
Yes that was my point. You your used to paying 31K for child care which is about $600 a week so why not look into paying a nanny $600 a week for 40 hours. And thats not even that high of a yearly salary.
Your children are probably your most important people in your life. Remember that when looking/paying for child care. You get what you pay for.....

Old 03-27-2014, 03:42 PM

15 posts, read 34,289 times
You might look back at your link again. Those are ads for Nanny's in Manhattan, KANSAS, not New York.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:54 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,578,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyman121 View Post
I find a lot of young kids with bilingual exposure have slow development of their language skills.
They may be slower to become fluent in both, but that's normal and expected. And once they hit school where they speak english all the time with their friends, it's a quick learning curve. There was actually a thread in the parenting section recently about raising bilingual children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: