U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 03:48 PM

3 posts, read 9,312 times

Advertisements

My husband, our four children (15,14,7,7) and myself are planning to relocate from UK to US for our employer (we both work for the same company, although I only work part-time) in July. We will be based in Midtown Manhattan and would prefer not to have a long commute. Also, my husband will frequently be flying out of Newark and doesn't want a long journey there each time. However, we have been advised to avoid New Jersey. Basically, we need to rent an unfurnished five bed. very spacious home and also want to be near good schools. Our budget is $8000 or thereabouts per month. Perhaps there is someone out there who could lend me some advice on where we should or should not live and also, any info on the education system would be much appreciated! BTW I love period properties....colonial/victorian/brownstone etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 03:54 PM

10,632 posts, read 17,243,524 times
Would you consider Long Island? Westchester? Does he have to fly out of Newark, could he fly out of JFK or LGA instead?

Old 01-03-2008, 03:54 PM

4 posts, read 7,324 times
I'd say try Jersey City. I do believe they have period rentals and you get more space. Plus it's close to Newark and NYC (via the PATH Train). I've also heard the schooling is better there.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:07 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,457,938 times
Try Hoboken NJ....there are tons of Europeans flooding the area, it is very family friendly, and 15 minutes from Newark Airport.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:41 PM

7,079 posts, read 35,622,031 times
YOu need to find good schools FIRST....the rest will follow.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:45 PM

112 posts, read 620,443 times
the best elementary schools in queens are located in forest hills (p.s. 101 - the school in the gardens, and p.s. 196 - grand central parkway school)---with the exception of p.s. 173 - the fresh meadows school, which is located in fresh meadows but is a pain to get to midtown manhattan using the subway. i actually know someone who rented out his 6 bdrm house to a couple of diplomats next door to his (he has two houses), but that was for $10K/month and was considered a bargain (this was in forest hills). come to think of it..they actually moved out recently. if you want to base your search around schools, go to Insideschools.org - New York City public school guide, reviews, statistics, and forums, the are the experts when it comes to public schools in all of new york city.

the reason i suggest forest hills is because its very close to major subway lines, and it literally takes about 20min on the subway to arrive at midtown manhattan. on top of that...its a very safe neighborhood. kew gardens isn't a bad option either, it is the neighborhood directly adjacent to it towards the south. oner thing to note about schools however, the best ones are the magnet schools, to which a student needs to apply. sometimes, there are also residency requirements. u.s. news & world report recently published a ranking, more accurate than any other publication has produced, which includes many of the best high schools in nyc, including stuyvesant and townsend harris (which is in queens). go to Gold Medal Schools - US News and World Report to find out more info. keep in mind though, hunter college high school was not listed, but is probably the best public high school (serving grades 7-12) in nyc. for some of these magnet schools, residency requirements are in place (usually only about 1 year).

however, astoria has decent elementary schools as well, including p.s. 122 - the mamie fay school, and it is also close by to midtown manhattan. yeah i think i'd go with these two neighborhoods for elementary, but forest hills does have a better high school if you are not looking for a magnet school to send your kids to. good luck.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:30 AM

7,079 posts, read 35,622,031 times
You've got two high-school-aged kids, so be VERY careful...and middle schools that are good are hard to find. Check carefully.

Private schools start at around $20.000/year (it goes up as the grade increases) and getting in takes about a year, as testing (ERB tests) and interviewing is required, with no guarantee of admission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City