Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 08:04 PM

3 posts, read 3,011 times

Advertisements

My family and I are visiting New York for the first time and we wanted the teenagers to experience New York during the Christmas season. Will have 3.5 days to see all we can, but want to make sure it is a quality visit.

How much time should we plan on for the following sites: Statue of Liberty, 9/11 Memorial (husband is a disabled retired fireman, so a must see), Rockefeller Center (for the tree), Empire State, Central Park and Time Square and possibly Ellis Island.

Would also like some suggestions about the most economical way to get around. Will be staying in NJ in the Exchange District to some of the sites.

Lastly, what is the safest, most economical to get from LaGuardia to hotel in NJ for a party of 5? Was told to take car service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 08:10 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishtopher View Post
Lastly, what is the safest, most economical to get from LaGuardia to hotel in NJ for a party of 5? Was told to take car service?
Hmm. There is really not "economical" way to do this unless you are willing to do multiple train transfers. As an out of towner this would be confusing. You would have to do the bus, to the train, to a different train.

I took an uber car from LGA to Newark airport once and it was almost $120. It also took a while. Anyway you can change your flight into newark? It will save you some time and money.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:28 PM

3 posts, read 3,011 times
Default Ohiogirl22

Unfortunately no, tickets are set into LaGuardia.

we plan on getting metro cards as well as using the "hop on-hop off" bus to get around, but I was more interested on the transportation for us and our luggage from LAG to our hotel in NJ. Any suggestions?

Old 12-01-2014, 08:30 PM

10 posts, read 14,584 times
are you planning to helicopter around nyc? the subway is typically the fastest way around, and though many stations are accessible, not all are. May I suggest prioritizing places to see....NYC will be overcrowded with visitors during this time, and your waits for these sights will be longer than you might be planning for..and the time returning to your hotel by bus/train should be accounted for as well...I recommend Xmas sights first......perhaps a guided tour (bus?) Enjoy your stay, and perhaps a rest period after you return home...you might all be exhausted.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:02 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
By "exchange district" in NJ do you mean a hotel in Jersey City? If this is accurate, and as a previous poster noted, getting from LGA to JC by public conveyance is inconvenient and you may not save very much over a private car service or limousine service. You'd first take the "NYC Airporter Express" bus from LGA to Penn Station (cost is $13 each). Then you must exit Penn Station and walk east through the human crush (carrying your luggage) to the PATH station entrance at 33rd St. and 6th Ave at the Manhattan Mall. Then 2 flights down to the platform level where you can catch the train going to Hoboken where you'll transfer to a train going to the World Trade Center (which stops at Exchange Place) or you can take the Hudson Bergen light rail train from Hoboken to Exchange Place in JC. Ready to consider a car service?

Old 12-01-2014, 10:28 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Take a car service from LGA to Jersey. I think you will need a minivan with 5 people. I'm not sure if that's an extra charge to request one. I was quoted a $90 fare last time I checked a few years ago from a neighborhood in Queens (near LGA) to Newark airport. The car service I use is Mexicana Car & Limo - Jackson Heights - Jackson Heights, NY | Yelp You can call them anytime for a price quote. Just be aware they answer the phone in Spanish but will switch right over to English once you start speaking English to them.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:15 PM

993 posts, read 1,384,656 times
If you just want to sail by to view the Statue of Liberty without getting off on Liberty Island or Ellis, you can use the Staten Island Ferry instead, for less money and line-up time. If you want to go to Ellis, you could take the tourboat that stops at Liberty Isalnd and Ellis Island, but just ticket to sail by the Statue and get off for Elllis only. It depends on whether you want to walk around Liberty Island or are satisfied to sail past and under the statue.

If you take the tourboat to Liberty and/or Ellis Islands, line up maybe 30 or 40 minutes ahead of the very first departure of the day. It'll be less of a wait, and less crowded, than a later departure time.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:57 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishtopher View Post
Unfortunately no, tickets are set into LaGuardia.

we plan on getting metro cards as well as using the "hop on-hop off" bus to get around, but I was more interested on the transportation for us and our luggage from LAG to our hotel in NJ. Any suggestions?
Perhaps you should take the airport to airport shuttle from LGA to Newark Airport and then at Newark Airport take a taxi to your hotel in NJ.

I suggest you do the Empire State Building after dark/at night as it is open until 2 AM and you get a wonderful view of the area with all the lights after dark.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:00 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
If you just want to sail by to view the Statue of Liberty without getting off on Liberty Island or Ellis, you can use the Staten Island Ferry instead, for less money and line-up time. If you want to go to Ellis, you could take the tourboat that stops at Liberty Island and Ellis Island, but just ticket to sail by the Statue and get off for Elllis only. It depends on whether you want to walk around Liberty Island or are satisfied to sail past and under the statue.

If you take the tourboat to Liberty and/or Ellis Islands, line up maybe 30 or 40 minutes ahead of the very first departure of the day. It'll be less of a wait, and less crowded, than a later departure time.
The best option is to take the free Staten Island ferry since the OP will only be here for a short visit. From the Staten Island one gets great photo opportunities of the Statue of Liberty as well Ellis Island.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:34 AM

89 posts, read 150,738 times
Yes, take a car service to NJ. Yes, take the Staten Island Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty. As for the Empire State Building? I'd recommend going to Top of the Rock while you're seeing the tree at Rockefeller Center instead. Fewer people in line, not as expensive, the views are just as good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City